PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots cutdown thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a planned reason for staggering the times of Pats cuts?

When does Jeff Thomas for example officially go on the 48 hour waiver clock, when the NFL clerk types it in the system?

If Thomas was registered at 10am will he clear waivers potentially 6 hours before others who are released at the 4 pm deadline?

If so, is that seen to be a advantage in trying to sneak a player through waivers?
There is no sneaking a player thru waivers. There are a number of ex/Pat coaches
and GMs waiting to pounce on Patriot's cuts. Not so many good ones this year.

One has to wonder what the Patriots are doing for a Reserve Center now that Gauthier has been released. Is it Froholdt and Thuney? Is Mason in the mix? Are they bringing in a veteran from outside?

One has to wonder what the Patriots are doing for a Reserve Center now that Gauthier has been released. Is it Froholdt and Thuney? Is Mason in the mix? Are they bringing in a veteran from outside?
Center #2 appears to be Froholdt. Center #3 if needed would probably come from outside the roster, possibly someone on the PS.

I would rather play someone out of position at center than keep a fringe talent solely because of his position.

Center #2 appears to be Froholdt. Center #3 if needed would probably come from outside the roster, possibly someone on the PS.

Thuney is probably the emergency center.

Let's see if my draft day prophecy that Rohwasser would get cut comes true.

Interesting how the Pats cuts are dribbling out a few at a time. Surprised to see Miller released. Must mean Harris and Michel are not as banged up as feared. Also gives JJ Taylor ( Mack Herron II?) a solid shot at sticking. As for PK, I think Folk should make the 53 with Rohrwasser hopefully making it to the PS.

Interesting how the Pats cuts are dribbling out a few at a time. Surprised to see Miller released. Must mean Harris and Michel are not as banged up as feared. Also gives JJ Taylor ( Mack Herron II?) a solid shot at sticking. As for PK, I think Folk should make the 53 with Rohrwasser hopefully making it to the PS.
JJ might be a BB type. The rookie kicker can be left behind. And either join PS or not. I prefer Folk.

They can be signed off the practice squad with the same result. What is the difference?

Putting people on the 53 and then moving them to IR so you can resign guys let go a few days prior seems silly too.

In the end it will all work out the same - either take the straight forward path to the end result or some contorted path decided by committee. It is what it is.
Well, the difference is a player signed off another team’s practice squad is guaranteed a roster spot and 53 man pay for 3 weeks. A team that claims a guy off waivers tomorrow isn’t bound to that guarantee. It might have been a condition the owners asked for in exchange for the other practice squad rules the teams have.

Personally I think the idea of a practice squad is silly if there’s already a lower game day roster. Just increase the 53 man roster to 65 if you’re only going to allow 48 guys to suit up for a game. It doesn’t really save the owners money since practice squadders are included in the salary cap calculation anyway. The additional salaries would come at the expense of the players on the current 53, probably from the “middle class” types.

JJ might be a BB type. The rookie kicker can be left behind. And either join PS or not. I prefer Folk.

This is how it has worked for as long as I've followed the team.

Heck, it's how Gunner Olszewski became the patron saint of cutdown day last year (they cut him late in the morning, and changed their mind at the last minute).

Meyers beat out Thomas & Ross despite not being healthy at camp. He had a productive rookie year & curious to see if he can improve.

Do we really know Meyers beat him out yet? Wasn’t there a season BB had a punting competition, and when camp was over he just cut them both and went with a guy off the street?

Well, the difference is a player signed off another team’s practice squad is guaranteed a roster spot and 53 man pay for 3 weeks. A team that claims a guy off waivers tomorrow isn’t bound to that guarantee. It might have been a condition the owners asked for in exchange for the other practice squad rules the teams have.

Instead, they inherit that player's current contract, including any remaining guarantees.

Do we really know Meyers beat him out yet? Wasn’t there a season BB had a punting competition, and when camp was over he just cut them both and went with a guy off the street?

Not quite. In 2007, the punting competition came down to Josh Miller and Danny Baugher. They cut Miller, leaving Baugher as the winner . . . and then cut Baugher as soon as the immortal Chris Hanson became available; it wasn't cutdown day. (A reminder that this is probably what Hanson is best known for.)

Personally I think the idea of a practice squad is silly if there’s already a lower game day roster. Just increase the 53 man roster to 65 if you’re only going to allow 48 guys to suit up for a game. It doesn’t really save the owners money since practice squadders are included in the salary cap calculation anyway. The additional salaries would come at the expense of the players on the current 53, probably from the “middle class” types.

Actually, it does save the owners money since PS players are now LIMITED to how much they get per week. It's like 10K ($170K for the year) compared to a minimum Contract of $610K. That's a $440K difference PER PLAYER. At 12 players, that's $5.28M difference. That's a chunk of change..

Sometimes (or most times) PS player is just a PS player. Going by BB last seasons there is a better chance that empty roster spot during the season is filled from the street or via trade. (the beloved Ferentz is free ;) )

Besides (enlarged) roster and PS there's also the shadow roster and my guess is BB & the Pats have the most extensive one..

Actually, it does save the owners money since PS players are now LIMITED to how much they get per week. It's like 10K ($170K for the year) compared to a minimum Contract of $610K. That's a $440K difference PER PLAYER. At 12 players, that's $5.28M difference. That's a chunk of change..
What I’m saying though is, assuming most teams spend near the cap (which, given the Bengals are around, may be a bad assumption...), that extra $5.28m in full roster salaries would come from the salaries of the guys currently on 53 man rosters. It’s only a cost to the owners if they don’t spend near the cap, or if the union pushes for a cap increase as part of this move so the other 53 aren’t impacted. Sorry if I wasn’t clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News