PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots coaching staff.... What's going on???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some of these coaching losses are worth noting, but most of them aren’t. Bill Belichick survived without a “character coach” for many years, so I suspect he’ll do the same.

Kraft needs money for whores can't pay coaches too.

Jk

Some of these coaching losses are worth noting, but most of them aren’t. Bill Belichick survived without a “character coach” for many years, so I suspect he’ll do the same.

The thing to keep in mind with a lot of those changes (Daly, Easterby..) is that the organization let the contract expire. Which now in hindsight explains some of those reports we got from Curran last year about people in the organization being anxious about the future. If the team decided to not extend certain contracts and let them go into the season on an expiring deal no wonder that some people were anxious.

The other thing to keep in mind is that if the team wanted to keep certain people around they would have approached them last year about it already so even if the refusal came from the coaches and not the Pats they were well aware of it a year in advance and were in a position to plan for it.

Yes, position coaches with experience on what the patriots want do indeed have input.

It's well know that position coaches for the Patriots have a say in player evaluation. The "Do Your Job" video confirms it. The books about this team that have come out mention it because it was mentioned that Daboll and Fears didn't want Jackson and Maroney respectively and that McDaniels did and BB went with McDaniels over them and the scouts.

To be clear, we have no defensive coaches not named Belichick.
========
The opening at WR coach can be filled by the TE coach moving over, and a promotion from within to TE coach.
========
This is not an issue at the combine or the draft. There is no issue until after the draft, other than getting coaches to commit. The scouting folks and personnel folks can give Belichick all the advice he needs.

========
The opening at WR coach can be filled by the TE coach moving over, and a promotion from within to TE coach.
========
This is not an issue at the combine or the draft. There is no issue until after the draft, other than getting coaches to commit. The scouting folks and personnel folks can give Belichick all the advice he needs.

The thing is that the positional coaches will anyway end up being either promotions or guys nobody has heard about. So us having a realtime updated coaches roster is completely without value except for the HC, OC and DC. And as you have said.. even the DC is just doing what BB tells him to do with a little bit of leeway to put his own twist on things.

So us having a realtime updated coaches roster is completely without value...

Well obviously that can't be right. I mean the thread title has 3 whole question marks which, you know, implies a certain level of value

The thing is that the positional coaches will anyway end up being either promotions or guys nobody has heard about. So us having a realtime updated coaches roster is completely without value except for the HC, OC and DC. And as you have said.. even the DC is just doing what BB tells him to do with a little bit of leeway to put his own twist on things.

I agree that vacancies are filled by promotions from within, often by guys that we;v'e never heard of.

However, there is no one to promote on defense.

I agree that vacancies are filled by promotions from within, often by guys that we;v'e never heard of.

However, there is no one to promote on defense.
Not true

Bret Bielema can be promoted and is a defensive coach.
DeMarcus Covington is a coaching assistant who was on the defensive side in college.
Brian Belichick is a coaching assistant who probably knows some defense.
Steve Belichick could go from Safeties coach to Defensive Backs coach

Is:

DC - Schiano
DL - Bielema
LB - Covington
DB - S. Belichick

that unrealistic? Nope.

Last edited:
Not true

Bret Bielema can be promoted and is a defensive coach.
DeMarcus Covington is a coaching assistant who was on the defensive side in college.
Brian Belichick is a coaching assistant who probably knows some defense.
Steve Belichick could go from Safeties coach to Defensive Backs coach

Is:

DC - Schiana
DL - Bielema
LB - Covington
DB - S. Belichick

that unrealistic? Nope.

Agree...

Defensive coaches

Both of Belichick's sons now have experience both as defensive coaches and with the Patriots defensive system in particular.

Would it be entirely implausible that Bill's plans for retirement involve handing the franchise off to one of his sons?

I can't say I wouldn't hire a coach mentored by Bill Belichick if I was an NFL owner, and if that guy was also named Belichick, that wouldn't really change my opinion much, especially given what I know of BB -- given what we know of the man I suspect BB holds his sons to an even higher standard than he holds anyone else, if that's possible.

Both of Belichick's sons now have experience both as defensive coaches and with the Patriots defensive system in particular.

Would it be entirely implausible that Bill's plans for retirement involve handing the franchise off to one of his sons?

I can't say I wouldn't hire a coach mentored by Bill Belichick if I was an NFL owner, and if that guy was also named Belichick, that wouldn't really change my opinion much, especially given what I know of BB -- given what we know of the man I suspect BB holds his sons to an even higher standard than he holds anyone else, if that's possible.
McDaniels and Schiano will be vying to replace him as well I'm sure.

McDaniels and Schiano will be vying to replace him as well I'm sure.
I don't know much about Schiano, but I think McD's better off as a career OC. Just MHO.

NFL network’s cameras just caught Belichick and Greg Schiano watching TEs run 40s at the Combine.

NFL network’s cameras just caught Belichick and Greg Schiano watching TEs run 40s at the Combine.

Belichick repping Johns Hopkins lacrosse today and watching Combine drills with Greg Schiano. Bill practicing his Adam Gase stare.

========
That is not clear at all. We have Schiano and Bielema.

========
But the earlier outside coaches are brought in the earlier the process of coaching the coaches can occur.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST