PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots coaching staff.... What's going on???

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.espn.com/blog/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4816974/bill-belichick-patriots-considering-unique-option-on-coaching-staff

"With five coaches leaving the Patriots after Super Bowl LIII, one of the items on Bill Belichick's agenda has been filling out his staff, and some of the talk at the NFL combine has been that special-teams coach Joe Judge is under consideration to be an addition on offense. Judge keeping an eye on offensive drills at the combine could be a tip-off that the team is moving in that direction."

"Judge, 37, was a quarterback at Lansdale (Pennsylvania) Catholic High School before he earned three letters at Mississippi State in a backup role."

I overstated.

So, yes, Schiano will likely sign someday as DC, and perhaps Bielema will be one of his position coaches.

I have no worries. If Bill needs to have a major role on defense, that's fine. However, we seem to continue to state that it makes no difference whether coaches have experience actually coaching our defense, working together, and working with our players.

I believe that one of the strengths has been our consistency of coaching and coaching staff. Now, it just doesn't matter. It seems that we are pats fans and whatever the situation because a patriot strength.

That is not clear at all. We have Schiano and Bielema.

But the earlier outside coaches are brought in the earlier the process of coaching the coaches can occur.

I overstated.

So, yes, Schiano will likely sign someday as DC, and perhaps Bielema will be one of his position coaches.

I have no worries. If Bill needs to have a major role on defense, that's fine. However, we seem to continue to state that it makes no difference whether coaches have experience actually coaching our defense, working together, and working with our players.

I believe that one of the strengths has been our consistency of coaching and coaching staff. Now, it just doesn't matter. It seems that we are pats fans and whatever the situation because a patriot strength.
Pretty sure Schiano is hired

I overstated.

I think their "could" be more continuity on defense then you think...

Defensive coaches (predictions)
  • Defensive Coordinator – Greg Schiano (new guy)
  • Defensive line – Bret Bielema (was with the team last year in an adviser role and i'm pretty sure i read somewhere he was helping with the D-line. so if that's the case then you could say...continuity)
  • Linebackers – DeMarcus Covington (was helping Flores with LB's last season...continuity)
  • Cornerbacks – Steve Belichick (moving from safety to cornerbacks which i believe is more vital because of his understanding of scheme. been with the team a number of years...continuity)
  • Safeties – Robb Smith (new guy...but this could possibly be Brian Belichick....but i think it's to soon)

I suggest that you contact patriots.com and inform them of the fact.
Just here for the « oh snap ».

I agree with both of you :
(1) coaching stability has been a factor
(2) BB will always be the overseer of the D
(3) having Josh there, I know BB needs to have his hands in everything - but does anyone here think Josh can’t handle all the O with his coaches ? I think the fact that Josh is locks in allows BB to better deal with other facets if need be.
(4) no names are in the back, waiting for their shot. BB knows which ones are worthy of the step up
(5) curious to see how the two sons will be as coaches. I have confidence BB doesn’t give them free passes. But I’m just wondering how they will progress. My gut : they’ll be good, with time, but obv never be the master BB is.

I thought you’ve been around here a while and understood how things work in foxboro. My bad.

Schiano plus 2 Belichick sons, I'm good with the defensive coaching staff :)

There is no reason for them to update the website. They can do it whenever they want with around the owners meeting most probably being some kind of media related deadline.

Ohio State’s Nick Bosa describes playing for ‘intense’ Greg Schiano

INDIANAPOLIS – Though there has been no official word from the team, former Ohio State defensive coordinator Greg Schiano is expected to take the same position with the Patriots in 2019. In fact, the former Rutgers and Tampa Bay head coach was shown this week on NFL Network at the NFL Scouting Combine in a luxury box at Lucas Oil Stadium alongside Bill Belichick.

As one of Schiano’s best Buckeye defenders, and a guy vying to be the No. 1 overall pick in this April’s draft, Ohio State defensive end Nick Bosa described what it’s like to play for the defensive coach.

“He’s aggressive,” Bosa said in his Combine press conference. “Great guy. Smart coach schematically. Definitely intense, that’s for sure.”

“I appreciate having coach Schiano because he’s an extremely smart coach, he knows what he’s doing, he knows the ins and outs of all the positions,” he said. “He can break down every single position in their job without hesitation.”

Schiano is reportedly taking over a Patriots defense that lost playcaller/linebackers coach Brian Flores (head coach/Dolphins), defensive line coach Brendan Daly (defensive line/Chiefs) and cornerbacks coach Josh Boyer (cornerbacks/Dolphins) this offseason.

Last edited:

The roster and staff pages are 100% run by some intern who may not even know/care much about the Patriots.

I don't think there's been an official announcement about Schiano though. That will probably come right before OTAs.

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4816974/bill-belichick-patriots-considering-unique-option-on-coaching-staff

"With five coaches leaving the Patriots after Super Bowl LIII, one of the items on Bill Belichick's agenda has been filling out his staff, and some of the talk at the NFL combine has been that special-teams coach Joe Judge is under consideration to be an addition on offense. Judge keeping an eye on offensive drills at the combine could be a tip-off that the team is moving in that direction."

"Judge, 37, was a quarterback at Lansdale (Pennsylvania) Catholic High School before he earned three letters at Mississippi State in a backup role."
That’s interesting, because I thought the offense was full. They lost O’Shea and Schuplinski, but added Lombardi and Bricillo. I can’t see Bricillo going anywhere but the (often unofficial) assistant offensive line job, so my theory was that we could see Caley go from TEs to WRs and Popovich from assistant OL to TEs.

If Judge is added to the mix, I wonder if we could see something like Popovich to the defensive line or Caley to either cornerbacks or safeties. Caley coached defensive backs at the college level, and Howe hinted at a potential move to defense for Popovich last offseason.

That’s interesting, because I thought the offense was full. They lost O’Shea and Schuplinski, but added Lombardi and Bricillo. I can’t see Bricillo going anywhere but the (often unofficial) assistant offensive line job, so my theory was that we could see Caley go from TEs to WRs and Popovich from assistant OL to TEs.

If Judge is added to the mix, I wonder if we could see something like Popovich to the defensive line or Caley to either cornerbacks or safeties. Caley coached defensive backs at the college level, and Howe hinted at a potential move to defense for Popovich last offseason.
Isnt Bret Belemia d line?

Isnt Bret Belemia d line?
That’s the spot that would make the most sense if he becomes a position coach, but we don’t know if that’s what he’ll do. I believe a reporter recently suggested that Bielema could just stay as a consultant.

Ohio State’s Nick Bosa describes playing for ‘intense’ Greg Schiano

INDIANAPOLIS – Though there has been no official word from the team, former Ohio State defensive coordinator Greg Schiano is expected to take the same position with the Patriots in 2019. In fact, the former Rutgers and Tampa Bay head coach was shown this week on NFL Network at the NFL Scouting Combine in a luxury box at Lucas Oil Stadium alongside Bill Belichick.

As one of Schiano’s best Buckeye defenders, and a guy vying to be the No. 1 overall pick in this April’s draft, Ohio State defensive end Nick Bosa described what it’s like to play for the defensive coach.

“He’s aggressive,” Bosa said in his Combine press conference. “Great guy. Smart coach schematically. Definitely intense, that’s for sure.”

Schiano is reportedly taking over a Patriots defense that lost playcaller/linebackers coach Brian Flores (head coach/Dolphins), defensive line coach Brendan Daly (defensive line/Chiefs) and cornerbacks coach Josh Boyer (cornerbacks/Dolphins) this offseason.
Here's where the media headline writers can take take a word out of context and create a narrative.

When I saw that "definitely intense" headline, I was a bit concerned with him being overzealous as a new guy on a very professional and by and large experienced defense. I might have felt a lot better if the headline was "great guy, smart coach".

So now that I've seen the ENTIRE quote, I'm pretty confident that Schianno will do well. Because this is an experienced defense (especially the leadership) they will be fine being coached hard....just as long as the schemes and concepts that they are given week to week make sense and above all, work when executed properly.

Over the last 2 decades, the reason BB has been able to work these guys so hard, is that the players believe that if they execute the game plan, they will win....and if they don't or can't, they won't. Time and time over that time period players have experienced that mantra. They learn to trust in their coaches, and the staff has EARNED that trust time and again.

Schianno will have to earn that trust over time, but it will be easier because the players know that Bill is always the guy who OK's the final game plan. And he's earned that trust many times over.

I'm guessing that Schianno will be the DC with a minor in the secondary, while Beliema will end up coaching the DL - Ultimately they'll work things out over the season and be fine. They've undergone worse losses over the years. BB's a great coach, but he might be a better as a teacher of coaches

BB never minds having a guy coach on both sides of the ball. Patricia was an OT in college, and started out coaching on the offensive side of the ball once he served his apprenticeship as a QC guy. Flores came out of the scouting department and did some time on offense.

The fact is that defensive guys have to understand what the offense is trying to do before they can begin to figure out a way to try and stop it.

NFL rumors: Patriots considering moving special teams coach Joe Judge to a different role

"If New England indeed alters Judge’s responsibilities, his assistant might get a bigger role. Cameron Achord joined the Patriots last offseason to replace the departed Raymond Ventrone. Achord, whose roles at Southwest Mississippi Community College included offensive coordinator, special teams coordinator, quarterbacks, running backs and tight ends coach, as well as recruiting coordinator, could get a bigger workload now."

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST