PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots are signing Patrick Chung

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, Chung is horrible in coverage.

I prefer Chung and a draftee to Wilson and Davis.

Do you disagree?

1.) My response was to a person who was saying Chung did not suck in coverage, and my answer was specific to that. I was not comparing the levels of suck of the various current players at the position.

2.) To answer your question, I don't accept the false dilemma. Belichick's post-2007 (to be kind) failure (to be even more kind) to fix the safety position does not mean that I have to accept crap in one hand or crap in the other as being acceptable. Whether Wilson's superior to Chung, or Chung's superior to Wilson, is not the issue or the question. The issue/question is why, in a year where there were plenty of superior safeties to be had via free agency, Belichick left the position in such a weakened state that a stiff like Patrick Chung might be an upgrade. This team's recent handling of the safety position has been so bad that the only decent move it's made there in years has been switching a player who was failing at CB over to S.

Then again, this goes back to him blowing the Chung and Tavon picks in the first place, and then not fixing the problem last year when he had a perfect opportunity to do so.

I think the underrated part of this story is how few quality safeties there are these days in the NFL. It's hard to fill a hole when there is so little talent league wide. Our safety situation is really not good and astoundingly it's probably not even in the top ten worst safety units in the league.

I totally agree, the Patriots aren't the only team perennially looking for safeties.

But for the current squad, if you believe the tea leaves that point to Logan Ryan at safety this season, you may find that the entire secondary clicks into place.

I think the underrated part of this story is how few quality safeties there are these days in the NFL. It's hard to fill a hole when there is so little talent league wide. Our safety situation is really not good and astoundingly it's probably not even in the top ten worst safety units in the league.

Agreed, and it's something they can get away with, having one crappy safety spot. They should worry more about the d-line.

he's improved. he's gonna put our defense over the top

i am flabbergasted that there are actually people who don't realize Chung absolutely sucks in coverage. Ask any Eagles fan what they think of Chung, and add in our own experience with the guy.

i am flabbergasted that there are actually people who don't realize Chung absolutely sucks in coverage. Ask any Eagles fan what they think of Chung, and add in our own experience with the guy.

i can only speak for myself, but i was being mostly sarcastic

I would have been upset if they brought back Ihedigbo.

Chung is acceptable.

Ihedigbo has been quite sufficient since leaving our team, so I'd personally see it the other way around myself. Ihedigbo would have been "acceptable" in this case.

Patrick Chung has been nothing but a complete bust, then went to another team and promptly got cut there too after only 1 year.

At any rate, it hardly matters who is worse and who'd be "acceptable," because I personally doubt that Chung is anything more than camp fodder (knows the system) or a 4th safety/ST only player. This is much ado about nothing, but it's the lack of addressing the position that concerns some of us.

Gregory was way better than Chung last season. Chung tackled more teammates than opponents for the Eagles. Eagles fans couldn't wait to get rid of him. Rather have Gregory than Chung

Let's get Merriweather back, too. We're getting the band back together We're on a mission from God. :cool:

:wacko:

Is Duane Starks (I-23) available?

Gregory was way better than Chung last season. Chung tackled more teammates than opponents for the Eagles. Eagles fans couldn't wait to get rid of him. Rather have Gregory than Chung

If the price were the same, then Yes I would also rather have Gregory than Chunks,
and I didn't like Gregory, at all.

IF Chung is seeing time at SS, he will be in the best position of his career, stud Corner and FS play next to him he can play to his strengths

I'd rather see a run made at Rafael Bush than seeing Chung return.

no more gregory please, I'd rather have Chung playing a specific role where he can produce than gregory all around.

Chung can be a decent platoon player in the box.

Somewhere in the Patsfans.com archives is a thread I started asking the question, "is the S becoming more important than CB to defenses. It was a couple of years ago and in response to how offenses were routinely cutting up defenses in the middle of the field.

This was a very good article. But I think its less about labeling positions in the defensive backfield, and more about the fact that all members of the defensive backfield need coverage like ball skills. All the things you look for in a CB today, like length, hip turning, the ability to play press man, etc; are things you are now looking for in your safeties.

Also no longer can you differentiate safeties into FS/SS skill sets. Your "other safety" needs to do more than just play in the box in run support and cover the plodding TE's that used to be the norm in the NFL.

I think as time goes on, secondaries are going to be filled with just generic DB's who will be used to play in more amorphous-like defenses, that don't rely on set positions. Also there was a time when teams might have as few as 8 DB's on the roster. Recently that number was raised to 10 on most rosters. In the near future I can see it rise to as many as 12. Defenses will break down into 2 kinds of skills, pass rushers and pass coverage.

Run stuffing DLmen and LB's will become merely situational players and their value decreased. This is why Spikes isn't here anymore, one of the reasons why Vince got his pay cut, and the reason why I don't want Louis Nix at 29.

If you look back on it, this article confirms why BB placed such a high value on a CB/S guy like Tavon Wilson. The fact that it didn't work out (at least to this point), doesn't negate that BB was once again ahead of the curve in looking for exactly the player Pompei is describing. Don't forget that in just 2 years of rather limited snaps on the regular D, Wilson has accumulated 5 picks.

Once again it looks like BB is loading up on DB's who can play multiple positions in the secondary. This becomes even more valuable when you add a true shut down CB in Revis. Now the Pats secondary can be even more creative, and a bigger mystery to opposing OC's

BTW- just a interesting note to ponder. Did you know that despite losing BOTH starting DT's early in the season, the Pats managed to get 14.5 sacks out of their DT's last season. That is a much bigger number IIRC than previous years. I think it shows a couple of things. First the Pats made it a bigger priority to create inside pressure and create more opportunities for the DT's to rush. Second guys like Chris Jones, and Siliga (who accounted for 9 of those sacks, are a lot better than you'd think. Finally our DE's did a great job of forcing QB's up into the pocket.

Why, just why.

Still pretty young and he had a decent season or so in Foxborough. Sign him for depth. Given the "pros" they now have in the defensive backfield with Revis and Browner perhaps Chung can relax and concentrate on his own turf without having to worry who's not getting the job done behind him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes