PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots and Tannehill

Status
Not open for further replies.

MainePatsFan26

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
I see a Kap thread. Absurd. So, with that, let's talk Tannehill.

What I'm wondering is if Tannehill could make a good backup for us. I feel like compared to most quarterbacks, Tannehill has been decent for the Dolphins and suffered too much roster inconsistency and poor coaching over the years. I don't think he'd be a replacement for Brady by any stretch, but would we mind taking a look at him as the backup who could spell Brady a few games if there was an injury?

I’d take Tannehill for cheap, but I don’t think he’ll be cheap. He seems like a perfect candidate to get $10 or 12 million to start 3 games before being benched in favor of a first round rookie.

Full disclosure: when I saw this thread I thought it was going to be about signing him to play receiver (which he used to be in college).

I’d take Tannehill for cheap, but I don’t think he’ll be cheap. He seems like a perfect candidate to get $10 or 12 million to start 3 games before being benched in favor of a first round rookie.

Seems plausible. I can see maybe cardinals taking him to mentor someone. I’ve never thought Tannehill would be a good QB. Trubisky is in the same mould.

He wouldn’t make a good Pats backup. He’ll cost too much and he doesn’t know the system. Plus I’d rather draft someone else as there is no upside to Tannehill.

Think Tannehill's a good quarterback, if with injury issues, but he's going to be a starter somewhere.

Don't like Tannehill. Hes ok but hes not good enough to win the big games and rumor is his teammates dont like him.

Think Tannehill's a good quarterback, if with injury issues, but he's going to be a starter somewhere.

I'm not saying that you guys are wrong, because things will have to play out and teams can spring surprises, but right now there just aren't many spots for starting QBs in the NFL, and that's before any possible Nick Foles team change. Unless the Bucs are lying about their QB situation, the only potential spots that seem to be there are:

Miami (But obviously won't be an option if they ditch him)
Cincinnati
Jacksonville
Washington (possible, depending upon how they play things with the A. Smith injury)
NYG

and a couple of them (Cin, NYG) seem unlikely from the start.

I doubt BB wants to knock-off Elway from the front page of 2019 QB trades.

Tannehill has had the opportunity to get completely ruined by Miami ineptitude for 6 years now.. and we expect to teach him new tricks?? That is a whole lot of reeducation and rewiring..

We do not know what we have in Danny Ettling so all this speculation is a function of the offseason..

Maybe we can have formations where we have college QB Edelman throw it to college WR Tannehill.

I agree w everybody else, no. OTOH I'm intrigued by the "everybody's a swiss army knife" appeal. We just got done using a receiver as a returner/runningback most games, being led (again) by a college QB at receiver (btw setting all these post-season records for receivers...) You guys know how Bill is lol. I don't dare say there is no way x, y, and z is going to happen, unless I really want it to happen, b/c the Pats specialize in doing stuff that there's no way they'd do.

I hate going into odd-year seasons (even-numbered SBs) because these are the off years by tradition... :(

Sometimes the shortest answer is the best answer.
Exactly. I don't mean to be turse and love great discussion but every player under the sun is mentioned on this board.

There are some that make zero sense.

Tanny, money and internal wiring are the main reasons. Not even worth the discussion.

Hoyer is a good fit, for 2019 at least.
Hoyer is kind of the perfect backup for us right now. He's a smart, cerebral QB who doesn't have the arm to be a starter, but has a great football mind, which he finds ways to make use of in the background.

Gonna go out on a limb and suggest that Hoyer will make a pretty good coach some day.

If this was Brady's last year and the Pats could get him on a 2/12 type contract then I do not think it would be the worst thing in the world. Tanny could potentially be a bridge QB in the Cassel mold for a couple years while they developed a draft pick. But with Brady looking for a few more seasons it make zero sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back