PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots 2018 Coaching Staff News and Opinions (edit)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wanna hear a low percentage shocking trade I could see happen? Hightower to the Lions.

With how much BB values durability over ability and how High seemed sometimes vocally critical of BB moves (Collins, Butler..) he seems more like a Patricia guy anyway.

Again, low percentage..

Assuming a post-6/1 trade, since any pre-6/1 cut or trade would be a net loss of $4.7M in cap space for 2018 ...

From the Pats side ...
... they'd save about $5.6M in cap space this season about $7.5M in 2019 and about $8.5M in 2020, while adding $2.5M in dead money against the cap for each of the three years (the Pats currently have less than $1M in dead money).
... they'd gain at most (probably) a 2019 3rd-round pick (conditional, considering HT's injury history)
... at LB, they'd be left with:
- Van Noy
- Roberts
- Harris (assuming he's not released)
- Grigsby, special-teamer

- McClellin, coming off IR
- Rivers, "virtual rookie" coming off IR
- Langi, "virtual rookie" coming off IR

- M. Flowers (UFA)
- Reilly, special-teamer (UFA)
- Harrison (UFA)

... and whoever they might pick up in FA and the draft.

Assuming a post-6/1 trade, since any pre-6/1 cut or trade would be a net loss of $4.7M in cap space for 2018 ...
That’s for him being cut. If he’s traded, then the guaranteed salary becomes the Lions’ responsibility instead of becoming dead money.

I don’t want him back, I never see him make plays and too often he misses them. They can fill that spot with a draftee with promise.

At the moment, and until that draftee is under contract and has proven to the coaches that he's superior to Richards, "can" is mere potential, not a guarantee. And, until that actually happens, there's nothing to be gained from cutting Richards. The cap savings is the same whether he's cut tomorrow or at the end of Camp.

From the Pats side ...
... they'd save about $5.6M in cap space this season about $7.5M in 2019 and about $8.5M in 2020, while adding $2.5M in dead money against the cap for each of the three years (the Pats currently have less than $1M in dead money).
... they'd gain at most (probably) a 2019 3rd-round pick (conditional, considering HT's injury history)
... at LB, they'd be left with:
- Van Noy
- Roberts
- Harris (assuming he's not released)
- Grigsby, special-teamer

- McClellin, coming off IR
- Rivers, "virtual rookie" coming off IR
- Langi, "virtual rookie" coming off IR

- M. Flowers (UFA)
- Reilly, special-teamer (UFA)
- Harrison (UFA)

... and whoever they might pick up in FA and the draft.

If they really go for a rebuild on D centered around more speed at LB I could see it happen if the Lions would part with a 2nd or 3rd pick and the draft board works out in terms of interesting players.

I am staying away from diving deep into the draft until the first two weeks of FA are over. So I dont know really what is out there but if Brady really wants to play until 45 then any extensive rebuild (or at least the foundation) has to happen this summer while he still can carry the team while a younger D grows to be able to carry him maybe in 2-3 years if his abilities start to fade slowly.

Don't get me wrong I love High and I would love for him to be a center part of the defense so I am not crossing my fingers at all for anything like that to happen.

At the moment, and until that draftee is under contract and has proven to the coaches that he's superior to Richards, "can" is mere potential, not a guarantee. And, until that actually happens, there's nothing to be gained from cutting Richards. The cap savings is the same whether he's cut tomorrow or at the end of Camp.

Yes and with the player limits being 90+ there is certainly space for Richards during camp. But at some point the opportunity cost of not giving someone else a chance will be bigger than the value we get from having him running around the field.

I wish we could ask someone like Lombardi what he thinks BB sees in Richards. There must be something -- maybe too subtle for me to notice -- that I am missing.

Yes and with the player limits being 90+ there is certainly space for Richards during camp. But at some point the opportunity cost of not giving someone else a chance will be bigger than the value we get from having him running around the field.

I wish we could ask someone like Lombardi what he thinks BB sees in Richards. There must be something -- maybe too subtle for me to notice -- that I am missing.

IMHO, Richards is now essentially the special-teamer backup for the hybrid safety/LB/slot-CB role that both Chung and McCourty played this season. There really aren't a lot of guys in the NFL who are playing such role to such an extent, much less in coverage schemes as complex as the Pats' are.

Richards hasn't executed that role very well, but he's all the Pats have at the moment. The Pats could throw a draftee and four more UDFAs at that role this season and still come up empty. If they've already cut Richards to sign one of those prospects, then they won't even have Richards.

Perhaps their best shot to upgrade over Richards is to (cheaply) acquire an underused 2nd or 3rd-year NFL player who was originally on their draft radar for that role and who they just couldn't get to during that draft. It's possible (though not probable) that such a guy could become available during the upcoming league-wide roster purges.

IMHO, Richards is now essentially the special-teamer backup for the hybrid safety/LB/slot-CB role that both Chung and McCourty played this season. There really aren't a lot of guys in the NFL who are playing such role to such an extent, much less in coverage schemes as complex as the Pats' are.

Richards hasn't executed that role very well, but he's all the Pats have at the moment. The Pats could throw a draftee and four more UDFAs at that role this season and still come up empty. If they've already cut Richards to sign one of those prospects, then they won't even have Richards.

Perhaps their best shot to upgrade over Richards is to (cheaply) acquire an underused 2nd or 3rd-year NFL player who was originally on their draft radar for that role and who they just couldn't get to during that draft. It's possible (though not probable) that such a guy could become available during the upcoming league-wide roster purges.

How is he a better option than lets say M. Flowers in that role ? Is Flowers not quick enough in terms of short area quickness ? At least Flowers is a very solid tackler. Richards seems to have a gigantic issue with taking the right angles in the NFL which makes him horrible in a lot of situations.

Not trying to argue with you or anything. Just curious about your assessment of why Flowers would not have fit that role.

How is he a better option than lets say M. Flowers in that role ? Is Flowers not quick enough in terms of short area quickness ? At least Flowers is a very solid tackler. Richards seems to have a gigantic issue with taking the right angles in the NFL which makes him horrible in a lot of situations.

Not trying to argue with you or anything. Just curious about your assessment of why Flowers would not have fit that role.

Prior to being acquired by the Pats, M. Flowers had played a grand total of 72 defensive snaps in any role over the course of three seasons (one of which was spent on IR). While he made remarkable progress and contributions as a fairly versatile LB in 283 defensive snaps over the course of 2017, and was pretty decent with limited coverage responsibilities, asking him to take on that complex hybrid role in his "first real season" playing defense in the NFL likely would've been a bridge too far (not to mention how thin the Pats were at LB). And, at 6025/245+, he's still more potential LB than safety and his future assignments (assuming the Pats are able to re-sign him as a UFA) seem more likely to be primarily LB-ish.

Prior to being acquired by the Pats, M. Flowers had played a grand total of 72 defensive snaps in any role over the course of three seasons (one of which was spent on IR). While he made remarkable progress and contributions as a fairly versatile LB in 283 defensive snaps over the course of 2017, and was pretty decent with limited coverage responsibilities, asking him to take on that complex hybrid role in his "first real season" playing defense in the NFL likely would've been a bridge too far (not to mention how thin the Pats were at LB). And, at 6025/245+, he's still more potential LB than safety and his future assignments (assuming the Pats are able to re-sign him as a UFA) seem more likely to be primarily LB-ish.

The thing that makes this so confusing to me is that Richards is slow, takes the cheese often and is not reliable as a tackler (because of the poor angles he takes). Even though it might be a complex role I wonder if it would not make more sense to simplify the role and let someone else try it than relying on the mess that is Richards.

You know, if he was at least as "intelligent" (football IQ wise) as he was sold to everyone then I could live with his slowness and an occasional whiffed tackle. But the way he took the cheese on that 55 yard wheel route that got completed over him was comical. I wonder if he is close with Elandon Roberts..

Last edited:
Cites FootballScoop which is a completely unreliable.

People seem to be missing that fact that this all came from douchebag Gary Tanguay.. When was the last time that guy broke a story about the Pats?

Also the article OP links has this posted in it

Claiming Schiano is undecided.

So what is it @TommyBrady12 Did you even read this article or did you just see the headline and link it?

The fact a job was offered to him and he's debating on it to me is news and certainly messageboard worthy.
My thought is they don't want to upset recruits.

People seem to be missing that fact that this all came from douchebag Gary Tanguay.. When was the last time that guy broke a story about the Pats?

So what is it @TommyBrady12 Did you even read this article or did you just see the headline and link it?

Loyko and beat guys talking about it gave it some credibility. Also the fact that the LB coach of the Gophers who Schiano would supposedly bring with him felt necessary to deny it on Twitter.

The thing that makes this so confusing to me is that Richards is slow, takes the cheese often and not reliable as a tackler (because of the poor angles he takes). Even though it might be a complex role I wonder if it would not make more sense to simplify the role and let someone else try it than relying on the mess that is Richards.

You know, if he was at least as "intelligent" (football IQ wise) as he was sold to everyone then I could live with his slowness and an occasional whiffed tackle. But the way he took the cheese on that 55 yard wheel route that got completed over him was comical. I wonder if he is close with Elandon Roberts..

Can't really "simplify" the role. It is what it is - a combination of the aspects of at least three different roles, any one of which may need to be emphasized and well-executed on a given play, with a different role emphasized and executed on the very next play - all by the one player. It reduces the need for package substitutions and roster spots.

Perhaps something like the defensive equivalent of a WR who can run all routes well and adjust on the fly.

Can't really "simplify" the role. It is what it is - a combination of the aspects of at least three different roles, any one of which may need to be emphasized and well-executed on a given play, with a different role emphasized and executed on the very next play - all by the one player. It reduces the need for package substitutions and roster spots.

Perhaps something like the defensive equivalent of a WR who can run all routes well and adjust on the fly.

I understand the role. What I meant by simplify it I meant sacrificing some of the schematic flexibility you gain with it by using it in more niche situations that fit the profile of players more.

I understand the schematic advantage you get from it but if opponents don't respect the player in that role they will just exploit him to the point where a vanilla defense might be more effective.

Under Patricia, at time we were really really bad in favorable situation. Glad he's gone.

I keep hearing these kinds of comments and I have absolutely no idea where anyone learned about the personalities of Schiano and Flores?
Flores, who knows. Schiano strikes me as more of a BB-type coach than Flores does. Where did I learn about this? They're both hard asses. There you have it

Under Patricia, at time we were really really bad in favorable situation. Glad he's gone.

No clue what you are on about but he had a brilliant season coaching this heap of crap in the front 7. We will certainly miss him.

Just FYI.. according to Loyko FootballScoop has an impeccable track record with college football rumors:

So, yeah, let's discuss how the 2017 defense underachieved.

But, yeah, let's discuss how BB's defensive approach needs to change.

Both would be excellent topics for discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News