PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patricia Vs Judge For Play Calling Duties?

Boomer B

In the Starting Line-Up
2023 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
This isn't really to comforting if true. Fat Matt vs Joe Judge, competing to call the offensive plays this season.

Judge and Patricia are being considered to be the team's primary offensive play caller in 2022, according to Patriots' beat writers.

There are three certainties in life: Death, taxes and New England Patriots coach Bill Belichick welcoming back his former assistants after they failed as head coaches.
Former Detroit Lions head coach Matt Patricia and former New York Giants coach Joe Judge are back with the Patriots in 2022, and could play a significant role with the team after offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels joined the Las Vegas Raiders in the offseason.
Judge and Patricia are being considered to be the team's primary offensive play caller in 2022, according to Patriots' beat writers.

The decision may come down to a "competition of sorts," per Henry Coffey McKenna of Patriots Wire. It's unclear how that will look. Will Judge and Patricia alternate as the team's primary offensive play caller in training camp? How will Belichick measure success? Will it be based on the team's offensive performance? Will Belichick solicit opinions from prominent offensive players?

Can Joe Judge or Matt Patricia succeed as an offensive play caller?​

Are Judge and Patricia even qualified for this position? Patricia has not served as an offensive head coach since 2005, his second year with the Patriots. Following that season, Patricia moved to the defensive side of the ball. He worked his way up the team's defense, eventually being named the defensive coordinator in 2012. Patricia remained in that role until the 2018 season, when he was hired as the Lions' head coach. Patricia went 13-29-1 with the Lions before he was fired. He served as an adviser with the Patriots last season.

Judge made his name as a special teams coach. He has some offensive experience, serving as the Patriots' wide receiver coach in 2019. Judge was hired by the Giants in 2020, and went 10-23 with the team before getting fired. He rejoined the Patriots last season as an offensive assistant.

1652395811364.png

Mac, i hope you got all the info you needed last year. These guys between em have no recent play calling experience. No resume of success neither? Not sure they will even have halftime adjustments let alone a 2 minute offense... Weak spot for us for sure.

Last edited:
Another click bait article. Never ends.

Damn phones sometimes.

Anyways, Bill’s best staff was when he first started.
I was actually pulling for O'brien to come back with hopes of blending some college concepts with the existing Pats' offense. That being said, I think that some folks put too much stock in Judge’s and Patricia’s head coaching failures, which although were real and spectacular, it doesn't change the fact that both have been productive as position coaches and leading units. I’m interested in seeing how it unfolds and believe that Bill won’t let it go to ****. Although if either are in line to become HC or GM I’ll break out the pitchforks.

Damn phones sometimes.

Anyways, Bill’s best staff was when he first started.
To the tune of 3 Superbowl championships.

RAC simplified the 3 - 4 defense after players complained about it being too complex.

Weis won the first Lomabardi with smoke and mirrors and made the Spread Offense en vogue. You could put anybody out there at WR spread out 4 - 5 wide and a defensive player still has to cover that guy. Brady could see every matchup presnap.

People are overstating the concerns with the coaching staff. Yes, there are a lot of question marks, but that doesn't mean that the offense and defense can't be as good or better under new people. Sure Patricia and Judge failed miserably as head coaches, but we have seen a lot of great coordinators and assistants who were bad or awful as head coaches (see Rex Ryan and his dad).

Were screwed.

Joe Judges team was ranked 31st on offense for his 2 years as HC.
Matt Patricias team was ranked 18th and 25th for his 2 years at HC.

People are overstating the concerns with the coaching staff. Yes, there are a lot of question marks, but that doesn't mean that the offense and defense can't be as good or better under new people. Sure Patricia and Judge failed miserably as head coaches, but we have seen a lot of great coordinators and assistants who were bad or awful as head coaches (see Rex Ryan and his dad).
I wouldnt say them failing as HCs is the concern for me, BB failed, McDaniels failed etcetc...Its really the lack of experience on that side of the ball. It would literally be like a team hiring Josh McDaniels as their DC. To me thatd be odd

One thing that might help whoever is calling the plays, is I'm guessing Mac Jones will have a little more freedom (and confidence) at the line to adjust plays. Not that he'll be calling a totally different one than what was sent in, but he'll have more leeway to check out some looks and make tweaks within the gameplan. Not Tom Brady mid-form level of freedom, but more than he got as a rookie. It'll be about calling plays that give Mac the information he needs to make the right calls. That feels much more manageable for a coach who isn't used to being on that side of the ball.

Of the two (Judge and Patricia), I think I prefer Matt. He at least has experience calling plays in general, within the flow of a game. My overall preference would be for someone like Caley to do it as an up and comer, but if they don't think he's ready then it doesn't help to just toss him to the wolves.

This isn't that unexpected. The good stuff from Reiss is always in his replies, and he had Judge as a "top candidate" in late 2019 (before he got a HC job instead of McDaniels) and Patricia as an "outside-the-box thought" 16 months ago.

Were screwed.

Joe Judges team was ranked 31st on offense for his 2 years as HC.
Matt Patricias team was ranked 18th and 25th for his 2 years at HC.

Neither of them were calling the plays there though.

Neither of them were calling the plays there though.
But they picked the people on staff and made a decision on the type of offense that they wanted. It got both fired in 2 years.

Hard to fathom that youre a brand new NFL HC that finally gets his chance and you stay out of whats going on on offense.

I suppose with DC Stevie Belichick his own man now that BB has time for some offense. What could possibly go wrong?

This isn't that unexpected. The good stuff from Reiss is always in his replies, and he had Judge as a "top candidate" in late 2019 (before he got a HC job instead of McDaniels) and Patricia as an "outside-the-box thought" 16 months ago.

What went wrong in Detroit?

Patricia had Stafford.

I hear than BOB was at the Pats OTAs, college recruiting for the 2023 class is in full swing until May 31st.

I wonder how much BOB is involved in the recruitment of Arch Manning? Although I hear he is coming to the Dawgs!

It would be interesting once Manning makes his decision to see if BOB is then free to join the Pats.

This would make the most sense as to why BB is saying Patricia or Judge, unless....

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back