PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Path cleared for Jimmy's return? [SF trades for #3 pick]

I like Mac, but not THAT much. If you're mortgaging your future for a "high floor, low ceiling" guy... that's just dumb as hell. That also means, though, that one of Fields or Lance will be available at #5. If BB likes one of them specifically and he's available at #5.... I have to wonder what the price tag for that move is/will be.
If Jones goes at #3, there will be a bidding war for #4 and Fields. The bidding starts at three 1sts and two 2nds.

My guess is that at least 2 teams would offer that.

If Jones goes at #3, there will be a bidding war for #4 and Fields. The bidding starts at three 1sts and two 2nds.

My guess is that at least 2 teams would offer that.
This board would explode if BB shelled out that much draft capital for anyone without the last name of Lawrence

I find it hard to believe that a team would trade away three first round picks because there are three guys they like but aren't sure who they really want to pick. Any GM with a brain doesn't trade away that much unless you are in love with a guy and are convinced that he will be the franchise for the next decade and a half to two decades. Granted many GMs who do these aggressive trade ups because they absolutely love someone are completely wrong and end their careers over it. But you don't mortgage your future without a gameplan of who you exactly want.
"Jimmy likes competition." Oh yeah, I'm sure he's on a totally equal playing field with the guy they are spending THREE 1st round picks (plus more) on and who is on a rookie salary for 5 years...

"Shanahan won’t rule out a trade if the 49ers are absolutely blown away" ... they really couldn't be any more blatant - they are holding out for a better offer. Better be careful playing with that fire, since Bill will walk away.

"Jimmy likes competition." Oh yeah, I'm sure he's on a totally equal playing field with the guy they are spending THREE 1st round picks (plus more) on and who is on a rookie salary for 5 years...
I thought the same thing

Oh boy. If they traded all that to move up to 3 just to take Mac Jones, Lynch should be tested for CTE.

If you think he’s the guy, take the guy. The rules are different when it comes to QBs. If he becomes their QB for the next decade, it would be worth what they traded.

Remember, they’d have a cheap Qb for 3 years (assuming they keep Jimmy G for one of them. They can replace the lost draft picks with quality FAs.

Bottom line for the Pats is... there is no reason to try and trade for Jimmy right now. Let this situation play out until the draft. Maybe he gets cut, maybe he restructures and makes a trade more reasonable. I personally don't want Jimmy back unless the cost is CHEAP, no more than a 3rd rounder and a lower contract, and even still, i'd rather go a different direction.

Absolutely ZERO reason to trade up for a QB now. If SF takes a QB we negotiate hard for Jimmy. There are several OK free agent QB's. Or you just see who is there at #15. There is NO sure thing QB worth trading up for in this draft. Hard pass. Do NOT trade up and burn a ton of picks for one of the media-hyped QB's.

Absolutely ZERO reason to trade up for a QB now. If SF takes a QB we negotiate hard for Jimmy. There are several OK free agent QB's. Or you just see who is there at #15. There is NO sure thing QB worth trading up for in this draft. Hard pass. Do NOT trade up and burn a ton of picks for one of the media-hyped QB's.

trade up for waddle and watch our offense explode next season even if newton is somehow still under center!

If Mac Jones actually does go 3rd overall (which is kind of wild), then my theory of Trey Lance being the 5th QB off the board could come to fruition.

Who knows, maybe I could even get Ring 6 and mgteich to apologize for clowning me for that too! (Maybe I shouldn’t hold my breath...) :excited:
Not sure how clicking disagree to a 4 paragraph post equals clowning you.
What I disagreed with was saying the Pats would take Jones over fields.

Not sure how clicking disagree to a 4 paragraph post equals clowning you.
What I disagreed with was saying the Pats would take Jones over fields.
The disagree icon is literally Goodell with a clown nose, hence clowning. Thought you would’ve put that two and two together there but alas. As far as drafting Jones over Fields I’ve come around on that and I was wrong. If Belichick even prefers Jones he won’t trade up to a spot where Fields or Lance would still be sitting there. It’s just funny to me that the possibility of Jones being the 3rd QB off the board is still in play because of the 49ers trading up.

The disagree icon is literally Goodell with a clown nose, hence clowning. Thought you would’ve put that two and two together there but alas. As far as drafting Jones over Fields I’ve come around on that and I was wrong. If Belichick even prefers Jones he won’t trade up to a spot where Fields or Lance would still be sitting there. It’s just funny to me that the possibility of Jones being the 3rd QB off the board is still in play because of the 49ers trading up.
I didn’t choose the icon for disagree, I just chose disagree. I can’t believe the 9ers went to 3 for Jones. The counter argument is they were trying to trade for 5.
We will see.

Just curious why everyone says Jones is a low ceiling guy? He had a historic season last year. He is supposed to be a very smart football mind, who works really hard studying the playbook and the opposing team. All I get is he played for a great team, isn't a running qb, and doesn't have an amazing cannon for an arm.
Where does he improve? His skill set is impressive but he's not going to really elevate other players or get even more accurate more for example. He could obviously improve on some of his strengths and concerns but he is what he is for the most part.

If you think he’s the guy, take the guy. The rules are different when it comes to QBs. If he becomes their QB for the next decade, it would be worth what they traded.

Remember, they’d have a cheap Qb for 3 years (assuming they keep Jimmy G for one of them. They can replace the lost draft picks with quality FAs.
Yeah, I get that. They must have had some inside info from another team that was interested in taking Jones before they were up.

Yeah, I get that. They must have had some inside info from another team that was interested in taking Jones before they were up.
Maybe Denver or Carolina? Agreed though they thought or have a strong feelings at least one other team in the top ten want Jones.

Maybe Denver or Carolina? Agreed though they thought or have a strong feelings at least one other team in the top ten want Jones.
My money would be on Carolina since I think Denver is going to give Lock one more year before they look to move on.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back