PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Packer board: Not as much AR GOAT talk these days...

May be true but I never read his stuff because of the former.

Here's one of his better ones I can remember (excerpts). This was during Brady's suspension. The guy knows how to write with some wit.

All they do is win — and annoy: Bill Belichick and Patriots don’t miss a beat without Tom Brady - NY Daily News

The only thing more irritating than watching Jimmy Garoppolo win his first NFL start Sunday night would be to learn that he, too, is dating a Brazilian supermodel.

The Patriots officially have the two most annoyingly handsome quarterbacks in the NFL, which is more reason for fans beyond the New England borders to despise them. The Evil Empire learned that life without Tom Brady, for one night at least, isn't very different at all after a "stunning" 23-21 win over the Cardinals in primetime.

---

While the suspended Brady tossed footballs to Gisele — we should all be so lucky to be quarantined like that — Garoppolo showed everyone that his two-year apprenticeship with the future Hall of Famer didn't go to waste.

Jimmy G was supposed to look like Kenny G without his top offensive weapon (Rob Gronkowski) before disappointing his critics. He showed poise and smarts to rally New England to victory in what should have been its toughest test in a month without Brady, who is somewhere peeling off NFL logos, posting goofy mock headlines on his Facebook page and plotting revenge upon his return from his four-game DeflateGate suspension. (Two Super Bowls have been played since the "scandal," by the way. It's a wonder why Roger Goodell hasn't thrown the book at 61-year-old Lester Hayes yet for using Stickum in the '70s).

Without quoting because there’s some long posts...first off as to Rodgers weapons I think Davante Adams is REAL good. We can debate the rankings of WRs and if doing so I’m not sure where he goes, but he’s a legit #1. He had some drop issues his first couple years, but all things considered he gets open regularly now, makes some big plays, and is a very reliable target. If he was NE’s WR1 I’d be totes fine with that. What’s behind him is...pretty bad. They’ve looked good here and there but that’s matchup-based and coincidence and not consistent because they’re just not that good. The RB Jones is also pretty damn good. Almost 6 ypc over his two seasons with some pass catching ability...behind a line that most acknowledge is less than stellar and with an offense most acknowledge as somewhat unimaginative. He can play. Again...not much else there. Something is off with Rodgers and I don’t know if it’s mental or coaching, but I’m pretty sure McCarthy isn’t God so since they have a generational QB (by most everyone’s objective measure) it’s definitely time to find out whose fault it is. I don’t think McCarthy gets BETTER with another QB...but it’s plausible they could salvage the back end of Rodgers career with a new coach and some other personnel upgrades. We take for granted that BB/TB - recent reported troubles aside - make it to the SB at worst every other year. But I hope that if they’d made it only once since 2008 that NE would find a new coach at some point. To say nothing of missing the playoffs or early exits. I’d hate to think that he spent his whole career with one coach when that once coach wasn’t leading them to consistent success. As BB always says it’s a players game.

Many of us here (me included) decried the KC/Rams game as looking like college and largely defenseless - there were some big defensive plays but there were waaaaay more wide open receivers - but increasingly it looks like that’s what the NFL is becoming. It kinda sucks, but it makes sense based on the rules and skill players breaking into the league. TB/BB presided over this 20 year or so interim between the “old” NFL and “new”, but make no mistake the “new” is coming. All the QBs that many used to think of as “not NFL ready”....suddenly are. Trubisky, Watson, Mahomes, Lamar - this is what the league will look like. Goff and Wentz are a little more old school to the naked eye, but them too are part of the new class. I’m sure many old fans felt the same way in the mid-80s or early 00’s. Receivers will be more open, defenses will be softer by rule, pass rushes will be neutered by rule. I don’t really like it, and I might not watch it 5 years from now, but there are definitely ways in which these guys are fun to watch. I was at the NE-CHI game and watching Trubisky run around was ****ing annoying as a Pats fan, but it was also a little fun as a football fan. Passing and scoring the ball has been made easier by rules of the game. It’s going to look more like college, and QBs we may previously thought of as not NFL players and unable to transition will be able to win games and have good careers. They’re the next gen, and they’re here. Tb12 and Brees just out there trying to steal a couple more SBs before it becomes the Arena League. It’s happening!

Rodgers stat wise is having one of the most impressive years in QB history. 20 TDs to 1 Int. Yet his team is 4-6? Why? How?

Must be the defense! Nope. The defense is average. 24.3 PPG surrendered. 16th best in the NFL.

Well with a powerhouse like that at QB they must be scoring a ton of points. He is obviously playing out of his mind! Nope. They are scoring 24PPG good enough for 17th place.

Is it the run game dragging him down? Nope. They have a 5YPA average and average over a healthy 100YPG. Not amazing but a respectable ground attack.

So how can a QB put up stats like this with an otherwise average team and get average results offensively? It is about risk vs reward. You need to make plays to win the game and avoid mistakes. Rodgers is avoiding mistakes but in doing so is not making the plays. Turnovers are seen as the most important single stat when it comes to winning and losing (besides points I mean). Yet this doesn't hold up with Rodgers because he is too risk averse. Not making a big play is just as bad as committing a turnover.

I'm old school..I like big hits and QB's that have RESPECT for the other team's defense... I'm just like Roy..in Sin City

I really have to ask:

What is our collective fascination with Aaron Rodgers?

Nov 6: A rather surprising stat

Nov 7: "BB was awfully critical of Aaron Rodgers while talking to the Patriots defense"

Nov 20: Rodgers hidden turnovers

Nov 21: Amazing stat/fact regarding Aaron Rodgers

Nov 26: Packer board: Not as much AR GOAT talk these days...

We point our fingers at people like Lane Johnson for renting brain space on the Pats.

Is this forum for some reason starting to do the same thing with Rodgers?

I cannot understand why, if that is the case.
Speaking for myself, it's when he refused to admit the 2011 Giants beat them fair and square. He was like "we beat ourselves". Dude's a sore loser and I enjoy seeing him lose. I still remember the NFL Films capture of him saying "Man we need one of these", as in home field advantage after the Falcons blew their doors off in 2016. Well guess what Aaron, you did, you know that 2011 season where it ended and you said "We beat ourselves" hahahaha. What a ****ing douchebag! I hate that guy!

It doesn't help how the mediots keep making excuses for him yet crucify Brady constantly though, ridiculous double standard.

He's one of the greatest regular season QBs of all time, arguably better than Manning in the regular season.

That's it. Anything extra is just overrating him. And at age 35 with the Packers struggling to build a team, I think his "GOAT-window" is pretty much closed.

We should be looking at the next batch of QBs to compare to Brady (since we've moved on from Manning/Montana/Brees now). Russell Wilson and Patrick Mahomes probably have the best chances.

I wouldn't say the NBA is dumbed down now, if anything it might be the opposite. Virtually every trend in the game is driven by advanced analytics now, starting with the fact that statistically speaking long 2s are the most inefficient shot in the game, and maximum efficiency is at the rim or shooting open 3s. There is a bit more uniformity than in years past, but that's mostly in the fact that the optimal way to score is pretty much universally understood.

Agree. NBA is more of a natural revolution and not being caused by rule changes to increase ratings. Teams have figured out in basketball what sabermatrics did to baseball. I expect that the offense/defense balance will eventually begin to return naturally as defenses make adjustments.

NFL is as contrived as steroid era baseball. For some extra Ferraris the owners are putting an indelible mark on the history of the league by artificially inflated numbers. It would have been easy to increase safety without making it all about the offense, but safety is the excuse.

Matt Flynn did well in relief of Rodgers quite a few times, but people just talk about Cassel lol.

Agree. NBA is more of a natural revolution and not being caused by rule changes to increase ratings. Teams have figured out in basketball what sabermatrics did to baseball. I expect that the offense/defense balance will eventually begin to return naturally as defenses make adjustments.

NFL is as contrived as steroid era baseball. For some extra Ferraris the owners are putting an indelible mark on the history of the league by artificially inflated numbers. It would have been easy to increase safety without making it all about the offense, but safety is the excuse.

Actually it was because of rules changes to increase ratings. It was because of the 2005 freedom of movement rules that any of that happened at all. It was designed to cause a more free flowing game and limit perimeter defense. The year before the rule changes 1 player in the league averaged 25 ppg. Immediately following those rule changes 7 players averaged 25 ppg. Then next year it was 10. The league straight up came out & said the rules changes were made to help scoring. It wasn't natural at all.

There can't be much talk in GB about the GOAT since Rodgers said that Brady is the GOAT.

I know it’s Cowherd, but he made some good points today that there’s been numerous former Packer teammates complaining about Rodgers. Said every former Brady teammate has said he’s the best teammate ever. Said Moss off the record said he loved Brady.

I know it’s Cowherd, but he made some good points today that there’s been numerous former Packer teammates complaining about Rodgers. Said every former Brady teammate has said he’s the best teammate ever. Said Moss off the record said he loved Brady.

Even the late Aaron Hernandez said he always rooted for Brady and he was a great person and teammate. Case closed.

I really have to ask:

What is our collective fascination with Aaron Rodgers?

Nov 6: A rather surprising stat

Nov 7: "BB was awfully critical of Aaron Rodgers while talking to the Patriots defense"

Nov 20: Rodgers hidden turnovers

Nov 21: Amazing stat/fact regarding Aaron Rodgers

Nov 26: Packer board: Not as much AR GOAT talk these days...

We point our fingers at people like Lane Johnson for renting brain space on the Pats.

Is this forum for some reason starting to do the same thing with Rodgers?

I cannot understand why, if that is the case.

Yeah, we have a ton of angst about him. I think we take it too far in the other direction to the point where we invent all these stories about how bad he is when he’s actually a top 5 QB of the past 20 years.

I think the reason for this is that the media is almost universal in their praise of Rodgers while they have never really done that for Brady, where they seem to only begrudgingly accept him as the GOAT. This praise comes because Rodgers is a better pure athlete, which is easier to see as a casual fan, and ignores what (IMO) is more important to QB success, which is the mental side of it (diagnosing coverage, calm under pressure, leadership, etc).

To play psychiatrist, I think that comes from some insecurity where we can’t be comfortable knowing that we’re watching the GOAT and instead demand that everyone else accept that too. People here have rabbit ears up about media comparisons of Brady vs Rodgers and rush to post anything where Brady’s disparaged. These are usually the same posters who claim that society’s worst ill is that everyone gets offended too easily, which is ironic.

Also the specific media members that people have angst about are usually the paid trolls like Shannon Sharpe or someone who takes the Rodgers over Brady side as his schtick or maybe from a personal vendetta. Ditto for Rob Parker. You know you’ve lost it when either of those guys gets into your head.

So I just recommend that we be happy knowing that we have the privilege of watching someone who should be on the Mount Rushmore of American historical sports figures along with Ruth, Jordan, and Ali and maybe just stop giving a **** if other people acknowledge it or not.

I’m not even upset by the AR talk anymore. I think it’s pretty obvious to most people that Rodgers arm talent is superior to almost anyone that ever lived. However he lacks leadership skills, he’s not anywhere near as coachable as Brady, he lacks the resume. So who cares. Let’s say he is twice as talented as Brady... who cares. The nfl is littered with the carcasses of talented people that never lived up to their potential.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back