PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Overlooking the Hot Hand

Status
Not open for further replies.

MainePatsFan26

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
I wanted to see everyone else's thoughts on the Patriots having a tendency this season to overlook the hot hand. A key aspect of Patriot success over the years is a combination of building around player strengths and riding those on a hot streak (rather than forcing the issue with players in a funk).

Cordarrelle Patterson came into this game with a hot hand. Yet both he and James White (also riding a wave of success) were afterthoughts compared to the focus on Josh Gordon and Julian Edelman.

My question becomes why are the Patriots not exploiting the hot hand on offense. Is this the result of Josh lacking common sense? Or Brady not trusting these guys?

When one considers the Titans defense as possessing an aggressive pass rush, I furthermore cannot understand why we didn't build our offense today around these hot players. Patterson and White would have been fantastic on early screens that exploit aggressive defenses. Instead, we ignored Patterson and White's recent productivity and stuck in a more traditional down the field offense despite the Titans' pass rush feasting on Brady as a result.

Long story short, why are we becoming a team focused on forcing the ball to specific players rather than working to the strengths of all players? And, equally, why aren't we getting the ball to those who are on a hot streak?

• Agree
Reactions: PP2
Matchups > hot hand. That being said, both the game plan and its execution were awful. White was getting schemed out of the game, and Patterson was never that hot to begin with.

Matchups > hot hand. That being said, both the game plan and its execution were awful. White was getting schemed out of the game, and Patterson was never that hot to begin with.
Not defending the game plan but I think the White thing is more on Tennessee from snap 1 they gave him more attention than any other team this year.

This game was an overall stink bomb. They could have played 10 vs our 11 and still might have won.

White getting hurt last week may have had something to do with his situation. Michel being back certainly had at least something to do with the Patterson situation.

We've seen Brady focus on just a couple of players before (think 2009) when either other receivers weren't available/getting it done or the OL wasn't allowing time for Brady to scan the field post-snap. How much of the perceived issue is that, I don't know, but I expect that it's at least a part of it.

We have to give the Titans credit. They’re the number one ranked team on D for a reason.

Patterson at RB was never going to be a long term answer. He had one great drive last week and then the Pack adapted. With a few weeks tape on him he wasn’t about to run amok on a D as good as the Titans.

The biggest issue we had was the o-line. We get a few guys healthy we should be a lot better.

We have to give the Titans credit. They’re the number one ranked team on D for a reason.

Patterson at RB was never going to be a long term answer. He had one great drive last week and then the Pack adapted. With a few weeks tape on him he wasn’t about to run amok on a D as good as the Titans.

The biggest issue we had was the o-line. We get a few guys healthy we should be a lot better.
Wow aren't you the smart one who knows the future without trying it. Actually it's kinda stupid to sub a dancing timid back instead of a bigger fast explosive one... And then walk away with 40 yards rushing..

Last edited:
I think the issue might be CP making comments after last game that he was "a playmaker wanting 25 carries" .

Wow. Belichick, mcD showed him, huh. "No... You're not CP. Cuz we declare who makes plays... Not you see. ? We got 40 rushing yards and 285 yards total. We don't need your swag in our vanilla game plan. ". We rather suck than allow a guy to express confidence...".

I think the issue might be CP making comments after last game that he was "a playmaker wanting 25 carries" .

Wow. Belichick, mcD showed him, huh. "No... You're not CP. Cuz we declare who makes plays... Not you see. ? We got 40 rushing yards and 285 yards total. We don't need your swag in our vanilla game plan. ". We rather suck than allow a guy to express confidence...".

Your contention is that if CP played RB yesterday the Pats would have been successful?? CP is a great ballplayer, but more of a novelty who can be used situationally to mix things up and cause mismatches.. he is not a running back.

Yesterday Tennessee the top rated scoring defense in the league showed us who they were, and not amount of gimmickry and trickery would have made that different.. the Pats crapped the bed on D, O and ST's... the game plan sucked and there were no significant in game adjustments. Two of the Pats three losses have come against former students of BB maybe the "grasshoppers" have turned into locusts..

IMO the game plan on the offensive side plays a role but certainly not 100%. I feel it is execution of the game plan on the offensive side. The lack of execution IMO contributes more than 50% and has been declining the past couple of weeks. Tennessee is a great defensive team. That said there had to be a much better execution of the offense to win this game. It didn't happen. It has been declining the past couple of games due to injuries, focus and skills. Our defense was terrible yesterday, making Tennessee look like an offensive powerhouse. In hind sight it had to be a shootout between the two teams with the highest score winning. Our offense didn't execute so we became the loser. I am not going to point fingers but IMO it is on the offensive players.

Moving on we will continue to have the same results if the offensive players can't execute, IMO.

Moving on we will continue to have the same results if the offensive players can't execute, IMO...
...and if the defensive players are...well, you know...the defensive players.

Last edited:
...and the defensive players are...well, you know...the defensive players.

The defense could have played better but they were constantly on the field. The defense started slow but held pretty well during the 2nd and 3rd quarters. The offense just sustained few long drives to let them catch their breath and gave them pretty decent field position, so they were gassed by the end.

Wow aren't you the smrt one who knows the future without trying it. Actually it's kinda stupid to sub a dancing timid back instead of a bigger fast explosive one... And then walk away with 40 yards rushing..

I am smart enough to spell smart right.

504528-s-l1600.jpg

Your contention is that if CP played RB yesterday the Pats would have been successful?? CP is a great ballplayer, but more of a novelty who can be used situationally to mix things up and cause mismatches.. he is not a running back.

Yesterday Tennessee the top rated scoring defense in the league showed us who they were, and not amount of gimmickry and trickery would have made that different.. the Pats crapped the bed on D, O and ST's... the game plan sucked and there were no significant in game adjustments. Two of the Pats three losses have come against former students of BB maybe the "grasshoppers" have turned into locusts..

My contention is stating the facts as they happened and suggesting possible connection. The op is correct. The game plan did not build on previous weeks success other than to fake hand off to CP 3times on successful plays. Ok stop there....

If you fake to a guy with success what does that mean? Discuss.

My contention is stating the facts as they happened and suggesting possible connection. The op is correct. The game plan did not build on previous weeks success other than to fake hand off to CP 3times on successful plays. Ok stop there....

In my mind you would continue doing that on certain plays. But McDaniels must think he needs to change it before they see it too much.

In my mind you would continue doing that on certain plays. But McDaniels must think he needs to change it before they see it too much.

Ok.. so mcD is seeing defense over playing the run.. perhaps.? But yeah , the success happened so you gotta make them stop it by reacting the other way.. correct!

I mean the obvious thing was offense was working with CP as decoy. Defense was following him. Why not expand on that..? Then reinforce the decoy by giving him the ball a few times too.

OC 101. Which mcD apparently flunked..

Wait. You are telling me the wr who filled in at RB while the real RB was injured should have been playing RB when the real
RB was healthy again? For real?

The line was thrashed on Sunday. Everyone, including CP and White, was feeling that.

If the interior of the line caves, then nobody generally runs and Brady is driven off his game. Brady targeted White 8 times next to the 12 for Gordon. I see Brady as missing some possible targets of late, but there didn't seem to be many options available (I doubt the plan is to throw it to Jules that many times, as he takes a beating).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes