PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Our Secondary

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Five Questions As the Patriots Continue OTAs
Ian Logue
Some questions as the New England Patriots hold their second session open to the media on Tuesday.

The post Five Questions As the Patriots Continue OTAs appeared first on PatsFans.com.

Continue reading...

(If you enjoyed this entry - hit the Thumbs Up/If not, hit the Thumbs down in this thread)
However, one or both needs to join Jonathan Jones in providing stability to a secondary that definitely needs all the help it can get.

Jalen Mills, Terrance Mitchell, Shaun Wade and Joejuan Williams are all veterans who will hopefully factor into things, with Myles Bryant also potentially being a role player.
==============================
SOME THOUGHTS

1) Our top corners are Mills and Jonathan Jones. We underestimate the effect of the Jones injury in 2021. Mills played well last year, Jones was becoming a top corner before his injury.

2) At this point, I expect Butler to have the first shot at the starter position, with Mitchell as a dark horse to start.

3) Yes, we can hope that one of the other two Jones boys will step up and be a major contributor as a rookie. I think that this is unlikely. I do have higher expectations from them in 2023.

4) And who is the 6th? Presuming that there are no injuries and that M Jones doesn't really step up, I expect us to keep six. Mitchell, Wade and Williams are reasonable options at #5 CB (with M Jones as our returner and 6th CB). I think that Williams played better last year than we think, and Wade played worse. Mitchell is a total question mark, and could even beat out Butler as a starter.

100% agree with you on Jones. I feel like he's potentially going to end up having a big season, especially being in a contract year. That part is just unfortunate because potentially losing him after this season just makes it tougher for them to catch up given that they'll again be losing experience and continuity.

It's tough, this feels like a group without a real nucleus and a bunch of stopgap options. Definitely have to hope that the two Jones kids turn out to be long-term solutions so they can at least have a couple of people they know will be here a while to continue building around. I agree, it would also be nice to see Williams emerge as well (he's also in a contract year) but it's sort of the same issue.

Sort of surprising that they don't have many definite long-term guys on the roster right now. I didn't notice this until you brought this group up and even if they go out and perform well, it remains an area of concern in that regard. If the two rookies can establish themselves, that would at least be a good start.

This is definitely the scariest part of the defense, seems like theyre going to be a zone heavy team...In a league that good quarterbacks really dominate zone.

100% agree with you on Jones. I feel like he's potentially going to end up having a big season, especially being in a contract year. That part is just unfortunate because potentially losing him after this season just makes it tougher for them to catch up given that they'll again be losing experience and continuity.

It's tough, this feels like a group without a real nucleus and a bunch of stopgap options. Definitely have to hope that the two Jones kids turn out to be long-term solutions so they can at least have a couple of people they know will be here a while to continue building around. I agree, it would also be nice to see Williams emerge as well (he's also in a contract year) but it's sort of the same issue.

Sort of surprising that they don't have many definite long-term guys on the roster right now. I didn't notice this until you brought this group up and even if they go out and perform well, it remains an area of concern in that regard. If the two rookies can establish themselves, that would at least be a good start.
If Jon comes back, and continues to develop in his upward progression, Belichick just might provide the contract to keep Mr. Jones around. On my wish list, at least.

If Jon comes back, and continues to develop in his upward progression, Belichick just might provide the contract to keep Mr. Jones around. On my wish list, at least.
I agree - the only issue is probably the fact that DBs are getting big contracts these days and it wouldn't be shocking to see someone like the Raiders overspend and take him. The one possibility would be for them to potentially extend him before the season ends but obviously it's a little early since we still need to see if he's still the same player he seemed to be before getting hurt.

This is definitely the scariest part of the defense, seems like theyre going to be a zone heavy team...In a league that good quarterbacks really dominate zone.
To combat this, you need a solid pass rush which the Pats do not. After Judon, someone has to step up. Barmore has even said he needs to work on finishing getting to the QB. Someone else needs to emerge from Uche/Jennings/Perkins.

Odd players out,

Mills, Williams, Bryant to PS if not scooped up.

I think we go in with Butler, Wade, Jones Jones Jones,
I think Mills stays this season ONLY because his cap hit would be $4.1M at this point. Next season it's only $625k post June cut. Greg Bedard threw it out there that it wouldn't surprise him if Mills or Butler were cut.

Mills played a little better than some gave him credit for, so I wouldn't rule him out just yet. But after that, lots of question marks.
He gave up the 2nd most TD's in the NFL last year with 7, zero INT's, only 7 passes defensed and QB's had a rating of 111 when throwing at him. This was where JC was taking on the opposing team's best WR.

To combat this, you need a solid pass rush which the Pats do not. After Judon, someone has to step up. Barmore has even said he needs to work on finishing getting to the QB. Someone else needs to emerge from Uche/Jennings/Perkins.

I think Mills stays this season ONLY because his cap hit would be $4.1M at this point. Next season it's only $625k post June cut. Greg Bedard threw it out there that it wouldn't surprise him if Mills or Butler were cut.

He gave up the 2nd most TD's in the NFL last year with 7, zero INT's, only 7 passes defensed and QB's had a rating of 111 when throwing at him. This was where JC was taking on the opposing team's best WR.
Agree I don’t see that he fits anymore with the plethora of safeties we have and the quicker Three Jones triplets.
I feel Wade takes His spot who is taller longer, younger and cheaper now of course injuries are a great equalizer not to mention their could be some player sitting on a bench or recovering from injury elsewhere who cold become part of the equation.
I just am stating based on who we have now that lineup makes the most sense.

Odd players out,

Mills, Williams, Bryant to PS if not scooped up.

I think we go in with Butler, Wade, Jones Jones Jones,
Chris, under no circumstances do I think Mills is not going to be a part of this team. He played well last year and there are too many question marks at corner now.

I read somewhere where his issues came due to how he was being used, with the numbers being drastically different between the two scenarios. I'll have to dig it out, but he was better than people might think he was.

Comments:

1.) Jon Jones is coming off an injury.

2.) I'd prefer Jon Jones in the slot though....

3.) My options for the outside guys: Mills/Butler/Mitchell

4.) I think we will play a lot of big nickel with 3 safeties as it is an area of strength with DMac/Dugger/Phillips/Peppers as well as guys like Mills/JoeJuan who can play safety and Bledsoe the rookie from last year.

5.) And don't sleep on Wade and the Jonesing-to-play rookie CB's.....

6.) Bryant has played well for us in spots....and I think he's better suited to backing up Jon Jones in the slot.

This wasn't the one I read, but this part from Mark Daniels provides some context:

"Mills was lights-out during the second half of the 2021 regular season. In the last nine games, the veteran gave up seven catches on 21 targets (33.3%) for 72 yards, two touchdowns and four breakups. The Patriots played more zone defense this year in an attempt to make up for some of their man-to-man coverage issues, but Mills provided stability opposite Jackson."

This wasn't the one I read, but this part from Mark Daniels provides some context:

"Mills was lights-out during the second half of the 2021 regular season. In the last nine games, the veteran gave up seven catches on 21 targets (33.3%) for 72 yards, two touchdowns and four breakups. The Patriots played more zone defense this year in an attempt to make up for some of their man-to-man coverage issues, but Mills provided stability opposite Jackson."

Yeah I've seen someone on this board post this from a tweet as well this offseason.

Reactions: Ian
Chris, under no circumstances do I think Mills is not going to be a part of this team. He played well last year and there are too many question marks at corner now.
That’s strong conviction in your statement.
I just don’t think he fits what Bills trying to do on defense.
Bill seems to be going for quicker quick twitch defensive backs rather than tall cornerbacks who can play press man and cover taller receivers.

Bringing back Butler and drafting two defensive backs that match his stature perfectly gives some weight to my assumption.

Mills played a little better than some gave him credit for, so I wouldn't rule him out just yet. But after that, lots of question marks.
Mills overall played well. Above average corner.

In a zone heavy scheme, mills should do fairly well if our pass rush is better than the last half dozen games of last season!

I think we will be fine with the players we have as long as we’re healthy. We have a couple of players I don’t really like that much but it’s a solid secondary. If one of the draft picks can replace Bryant or Williams, we are better than fine leaning towards good.

The safety corps is good and deep.

The CB corps is gonna get smoked.

I think we will be fine with the players we have as long as we’re healthy. We have a couple of players I don’t really like that much but it’s a solid secondary. If one of the draft picks can replace Bryant or Williams, we are better than fine leaning towards good.
Even without the rookies we shouldn’t need to see much of those 2.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back