PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Our Receiving Options Are The Best Since ???

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
This set of receiving options is the best since ???

We've seen no reps from Jones and receivers. But, IMO, this looks really good.

IMO, when Jones is ready, this could be the best set of receiving options in a very long time.
And yes, the receptions may not be concentrated in two players like Gronk and Edelman.
This group will be here through next year, presuming that there is White or a replacement.

Agholor, Bourne, Myers
Henry, Smith
White, Harris

I know that I'm ignoring any contributions or #4 WR, #5 WR, #3TE or from our FB.

Last edited:
Better than last year. Best since 2016 maybe ? Henry and Smith replace Gronk and Edelman as the best receiving options on the team. I guess Bourne is Amendola and Agholor is Hogan.

The way the question is phrased, probably a team 5 years ago.

But I would put this offense as having potential to be analagous/similar to the 2010 or 2004 offense.

The way the question is phrased, probably a team 5 years ago.

But I would put this offense as having potential to be analagous/similar to the 2010 or 2004 offense.

2004 we had Corey Dillon. We don’t have a Corey Dillon type. His 2004 season was legendary. 2010 they have a chance to be like that. Similar TEs, they had Wes Welker in his prime back then, but I guess Bourne & Myers can match Welker’s production. I believe Brady had 36 TD passes and 4 Ints in 2010. I can’t see our QBs doing that.

2004 we had Corey Dillon. We don’t have a Corey Dillon type. His 2004 season was legendary. 2010 they have a chance to be like that. Similar TEs, they had Wes Welker in his prime back then, but I guess Bourne & Myers can match Welker’s production. I believe Brady had 36 TD passes and 4 Ints in 2010. I can’t see our QBs doing that.

Yeah. I hear you. We don't have a pro bowl RB but we have a physical OLine and 2 great TEs. And potentially a stable of RBs who can collectively put up 1500 rushing yards. I don't expect the stats to reach 2010 or 2004, talking more about style of play. With a rookie QB or declining vet QB, it may be more like 2003 or 2009 in stats.

Id honestly take 2017 gronk with cooks + dola + hogan over this bunch. Mainly for gronk, just a total beast . Best since then though.

Id honestly take 2017 gronk with cooks + dola + hogan over this bunch. Mainly for gronk, just a total beast . Best since then though.
We'll see. But, for now, 2017 seems a good standard to reach.

Gronk and Cooks both were over 1000 yards in 2017, and Gronk was a beast. Amendola has 659. I would note that RB's were a critical part of the passing offense with 897 yards (White, Burkhead and Lewis).

I think that you guys overrate Hogan. He had 38-680, 34-439, and 35-532 from 2016-2018.

We'll see. But, for now, 2017 seems a good standard to reach.

Gronk and Cooks both were over 1000 yards in 2017, and Gronk was a beast. Amendola has 659. I would note that RB's were a critical part of the passing offense with 897 yards (White, Burkhead and Lewis).

I think that you guys overrate Hogan. He had 38-680, 34-439, and 35-532 from 2016-2018.

Id be satisfied for sure, especially with the run game this year looking to be a strength and the pass game more of a complimentary piece, vs carrying the offense like 2017 and before.

Depth wise this set is probably slightly better, but I would take having that bonafide stud at the top and a lesser #3. Hopefully the 2 te combination can have a similar effect and matchup issue that gronk did in his prime.

The only promising receiving position is TE and I seriously doubt that its going to compare to Gronk and Hernandez.

In 2011 the TEs churned out 24 TDs and over 2200 yards combined. Welker had 9 TDs.

Meyers had 0 TDs last year. Bourne and Agalor are JAGS.

The only promising receiving position is TE and I seriously doubt that its going to compare to Gronk and Hernandez.

In 2011 the TEs churned out 24 TDs and over 2200 yards combined. Welker had 9 TDs.

Meyers had 0 TDs last year. Bourne and Agalor are JAGS.
I think the OP was comparing to 2010. I think we can’t match up with any of the Pats offenses while Brady was running them. With Cam throwing the ball, the offense will be pedestrian. Even if Mac Jones takes over, it’ll take a while for the offense to gel.

I’m rooting for Cam, I’m hoping he does much better than last year, and we make the playoffs. But I don’t think Cam will improve, I can only see him regressing (skills wise). He’s just not a good fit for the offense the Pats run.

I think the OP was comparing to 2010. I think we can’t match up with any of the Pats offenses while Brady was running them. With Cam throwing the ball, the offense will be pedestrian. Even if Mac Jones takes over, it’ll take a while for the offense to gel.

I’m rooting for Cam, I’m hoping he does much better than last year, and we make the playoffs. But I don’t think Cam will improve, I can only see him regressing (skills wise). He’s just not a good fit for the offense the Pats run.
Whatever happens this season Cam has been a stand up man.

He took an impossible job replacing Brady. Now, he faces the untenable position of being in the great Mac Jones way. Every loss and INT will rile the Mac fan club up.

I have to give Cam respeck as a running QB. He still has it and is among the best in the league. He could have broken Grogans record no problem last season.

As an aside, 2017 was going to threaten for one of the greatest offenses in NFL history. It was going to feature Gronk & Edelman in their prime with Brandin Cooks requiring attention deep along with Amendola & Hogan as depth options. This group doesn’t come close.

I think there are alot of similarities between Henry, Smith, Agholor, Meyers & Bourne to 2016 (without Gronk):
  • Julian Edelman
  • Martellus Bennett
  • Chris Hogan
  • Danny Amendola
  • Malcolm Mitchell
There isn’t a high end option but a solid group of complimentary players that can beat man coverage. The pats had 0-1 of those players on the field at any given point last season.

As an aside, 2017 was going to threaten for one of the greatest offenses in NFL history. It was going to feature Gronk & Edelman in their prime with Brandin Cooks requiring attention deep along with Amendola & Hogan as depth options. This group doesn’t come close.

I think there are alot of similarities between Henry, Smith, Agholor, Meyers & Bourne to 2016 (without Gronk):
  • Julian Edelman
  • Martellus Bennett
  • Chris Hogan
  • Danny Amendola
  • Malcolm Mitchell
There isn’t a high end option but a solid group of complimentary players that can beat man coverage. The pats had 0-1 of those players on the field at any given point last season.
I think 2017 Brady with this Pats lineup would be every bit as good.

This set of receiving options is the best since ???

We've seen no reps from Jones and receivers. But, IMO, this looks really good.

IMO, when Jones is ready, this could be the best set of receiving options in a very long time.
And yes, the receptions may not be concentrated in two players like Gronk and Edelman.
This group will be here through next year, presuming that there is White or a replacement.

Agholor, Bourne, Myers
Henry, Smith
White, Harris

I know that I'm ignoring any contributions or #4 WR, #5 WR, #3TE or from our FB.

obviously the tight ends should be good. but the WRs? i cant think of a worse unit in the NFL since....last year's patriots. vomit

Meyers had 0 TDs last year.
This is mostly Newton's fault and that there was not really a Red zone threat other teams had to fear.
Bourne and Agalor are JAGS.
I think they will be good here. Bourne looks like a typical PTP and excited to see a deep threat like Agholor. It will be way better imo.

obviously the tight ends should be good. but the WRs? i cant think of a worse unit in the NFL since....last year's patriots. vomit
We are comparing them with past patriots teams.

I think that if Brady were here, this WR group would be enough for us to be one of the 3-5 favorites to win the SB. This set of receivers is plenty goon enough for us to win. And yes, the passing game sometimes depends on TE's and RB's as it has in the past with Gronk, Bennett, Lewis and White.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back