PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Our Receiving Options Are The Best Since ???

It's the best since 2018 for us, but it makes more sense to measure it against the rest of the league than ourselves. When you measure it against your past it can be misleading. You can be horrible for years and then bad one you and have it be your best core in years. So what? You're still bad. We are still clearly in the bottom 10 for pass catchers. Even in 2018 we weren't that good, but Brady covered it up for us.

Getting by with a bad to mediocre set of pass catchers was covered up by him for years. Typically in todays NFL you need big time play makers to compete. Without Brady we will need that too now most likely. So being just bad or okay won't cut it generally.

It's the best since 2018 for us, but it makes more sense to measure it against the rest of the league than ourselves. When you measure it against your past it can be misleading. You can be horrible for years and then bad one you and have it be your best core in years. So what? You're still bad. We are still clearly in the bottom 10 for pass catchers. Even in 2018 we weren't that good, but Brady covered it up for us.

Getting by with a bad to mediocre set of pass catchers was covered up by him for years. Typically in todays NFL you need big time play makers to compete. Without Brady we will need that too now most likely. So being just bad or okay won't cut it generally.
Is that true, though? The five primary targets (not counting RB or WR4) for the Patriots combined for 3.352 yards last year, or 670 each.

Is that really sub-par?

They're the best since...3 or 4 years ago, maybe 5 at the longest? So what? They better be like 2007 good to overcome the putrescence of our probable starting QB...

And we still need another starting-calibre outside WR opposite Agholor...Unless we're all expecting Kneal Harry to make that famous 3rd-year leap...

Ask me about the receiving corps when we have a QB who can make above average throws. Until then it's all but irrelevant

I don't know how many ways we can communicate this to the people who still aren't listening: No matter what we do, this year won't be about the throwing offense. It will not be a major feature of the offense whether Jones or Newton are playing. We maxed out the run game for a reason. We could have in his prime Randy Moss out there and he still wouldn't get big yards because we're just not emphasizing that.

Last edited:
I like Meyers and think he will continue to improve. But I think it is impossible to predict how any WR or TE will look in this overly complex timing offense. I think at least one of two of these guys will be a disappointment. But we will see. I find it strange how many Pats fans are sleeping on Harris. I think he has ProBowl potential in the next year or two if the offense gets going and he can actually stay on the field.

I like Meyers and think he will continue to improve. But I think it is impossible to predict how any WR or TE will look in this overly complex timing offense. I think at least one of two of these guys will be a disappointment. But we will see...

Therein lies the reason why not re-signing Damiere Byrd made no damn sense whatsoever...Especially since only one WR was drafted...in the 7th round...and Zero UDFAs...

Therein lies the reason why not re-signing Damiere Byrd made no damn sense whatsoever...Especially since only one WR was drafted...in the 7th round...and Zero UDFAs...
I don't love what they did at the position either. Even Agholar was a huge overpay. But that's Bill for you. You can't argue with his track record of winning. But sometimes he does things that make no sense whatsoever. Like going into 2006 with Reche Caldwell as the #1 WR. Cost us a SuperBowl. Or no NFL caliber LBs in 2005. Or pushing the GOAT out the door without a suitable replacement. Sometimes he gets away with these questionable choices, sometimes he doesn't.
It does feel like this will be a ground and pound offense. Especially if they sign Gilmore to an extension and bring Sony back for depth. Run the ball, play great defense and win games 20-13

This set of receiving options is the best since ???

We've seen no reps from Jones and receivers. But, IMO, this looks really good.

IMO, when Jones is ready, this could be the best set of receiving options in a very long time.
And yes, the receptions may not be concentrated in two players like Gronk and Edelman.
This group will be here through next year, presuming that there is White or a replacement.

Agholor, Bourne, Myers
Henry, Smith
White, Harris

I know that I'm ignoring any contributions or #4 WR, #5 WR, #3TE or from our FB.
You should add FB Danny Vitale. He wasn't used properly in Cleveland nor Green Bay. At Northwestern, he was a mainstay of their passing game all four years. Josh has always done a great job using backs as change of pace and unexpected receivers out of the backfield. Vitale fits that role, and is a terrific blocking back. Dan Vitale College Stats | College Football at Sports-Reference.com

Suppose the Pats make a trade for, say, Julio Jones or some other near-the-end great receiver.

Or bring in Golden Tate, who is still out in FA, I believe.

Change your mind?

Suppose the Pats make a trade for, say, Julio Jones or some other near-the-end great receiver.

Change your mind?

Unnecessary. Agholor is already a speedster. Led the league in yards per reception. And Meyers and Bourne for possession passing, and Henry and Smith for both power running and play action and screens. Team does NOT need another WR. Alsp Gunner and Tre above Harry on the depth chart.

Unnecessary. Agholor is already a speedster. Led the league in yards per reception. And Meyers and Bourne for possession passing, and Henry and Smith for both power running and play action and screens. Team does NOT need another WR. Alsp Gunner and Tre above Harry on the depth chart.
I agree. I'm just talking to Captain Grumpy.

Change your mind?

Absolutely...As long as the money aligns with their remaining talent, either Jones or Tate would bring an alpha dog mentality to the room, something it is currently and completely lacking within it.

Absolutely...As long as the money aligns with their remaining talent, either Jones or Tate would bring an alpha dog mentality to the room, something it is currently and completely lacking within it.
Which would you prefer?

Although I don't find it necessary, necessarily, I do think an alpha dog WR would lift up the rest of the crew.

Which would you prefer?

Although I don't find it necessary, necessarily, I do think an alpha dog WR would lift up the rest of the crew.

If the money's the same, then Julio Jones...

Damn shame we didn't have Golden Tate here his first 8/9 years in the league...

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back