PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Our Receiving Options Are The Best Since ???

This O has potential to be difficult for opposing defenses to stop. All that matters. There's no one for defenses to key in on and try to take away, but that can be challenging in its own way. If different guys step up and make plays each week we're going to be solid.

This is mostly Newton's fault and that there was not really a Red zone threat other teams had to fear.

I think they will be good here. Bourne looks like a typical PTP and excited to see a deep threat like Agholor. It will be way better imo.
Yep, that Meyers is a real beast.

No TDs in 2019 either with Brady holding him back. Dude is another JAG like Agalor and Bourne. There was another JAG WR in Pats camp that had the homers predicting greatness. Didnt make the first cut. Hes probably working with rockchrist at Foot Locker these days.

No TDs in 2019 either with Brady holding him back. Dude is another JAG like Agalor and Bourne. There was another JAG WR in Pats camp that had the homers predicting greatness. Didnt make the first cut. Hes probably working with rockchrist at Foot Locker these days.
Meyers was an undrafted rookie in 2019. I don't expect these guys to contribute much right away in year 1. Meyers had round about 350 yards in his first year here. This is solid for a guy you don't pay anything significant for regarding cap or Picks. Harry for example has 414 yards so far in 2 years. Meyers had to learn a lot probably and get TB's trust. In a complete garbage passing offense like last year Meyers managed good numbers and got open a lot with other defenses had nobody else to fear and poor QB play in most games. I wonder how much production a Mike Evans would had last year in our offense if we replace Meyers with Evans for example.

Meyers was an undrafted rookie in 2019. I don't expect these guys to contribute much right away in year 1. Meyers had round about 350 yards in his first year here. This is solid for a guy you don't pay anything significant for regarding cap or Picks. Harry for example has 414 yards so far in 2 years. Meyers had to learn a lot probably and get TB's trust. In a complete garbage passing offense like last year Meyers managed good numbers and got open a lot with other defenses had nobody else to fear and poor QB play in most games. I wonder how much production a Mike Evans would had last year in our offense if we replace Meyers with Evans for example.
Im seeing why Meyers was undrafted.

Troy Brown was an 8th round pick. Givens a 5th rounder. Edelman was a QB. Nobody is expecting Meyers to be Deandre Hopkins. Just wait until Mac comes in. They will be blaming his issues on Meyers.

so whats your problem? he is a ****ing QB becoming WR being undrafted and putting quite good numebrs for a WR5 or where he was on the depth chart begining the season with the worst QB play ever recorded in the NFL.
oh right he did not caught a TD last year, well QB Scam has thrown for an impressing total of 8 ****ing TD in the complete season, Meyers himself has thrown for 2 TD last year, no one is expecting Meyers to be Hopkins but still he is a good player and has had a very nice contribution last year

he is learning the position still and has already the ability to get open even though he is not a speedstar out there on the field, so why would he not be able to improve?

A player comp I made for Jakobi Meyers when he was acquired as a rookie was a young Mohamed Sanu, he'll find soft spots in the zone, outmuscle smaller slot corners inside, skirt 1000 yard seasons but be a decent player... a good role player. I'd compare Bourne to these two with a pinch more top end speed. These are good not great guys but physical with sure hands.

Agholor had the longest yards per reception in the NFL last season playing with captain check down Derek Carr in Las Vegas, people can knock him but he is finally playing closer to his first round pedigree as a late bloomer and he has first round speed and talent. If he continues to improve he may never be a dominant player but he can be the deep ball threat the Pats need to keep opposing defenses honest. He'll play that David Patten role.

N'Keal has all the talent necessary to be a physical jumpball receiver, I get that it's taboo to say anything complimentary about him around here but he is only 24 years old, the same age as Asiasi, Onwenu and the kids drafted last year. You put two TE's on the field and have Harry on the field that's the equivalent of three TE's.... great blocking in the run game and physical in the passing game. He's big and tall, he isn't super mobile like most of the other WR's but has good mobility for his size, he needs the ball thrown to where only he can get it and that requires an accurate passer.

Gunner hasn't gotten much run as a WR but it's evident from his punt return duties that he is an instinctive runner with the ball in his hands. A player comp I made for him when he was acquired was Danny Amendola. Obviously as a division 2 defensive back making the transition to the pros he is underdeveloped as a receiver compared to Danny hands but the athleticism is similar. I'd be interested to see how far he has come with an accurate passer back there who could take advantage of a real slot guy.

Some diamond in the rough guys include Tre Nixon the kid they just drafted, Kristian Wilkerson and Isaiah Zuber. Nixon has everything athletically needed to be a really good WR except size but he is strong, he has speed nobody else possesses outside of Agholor. I liked his pick a lot in the 7th but he has a long pecking order in front of him. Wilkerson has a tough road because this team has a dearth of big possession receivers in front of him with decent but not great speed, but now that Jules is gone he has the best agility in the WR room, if he can apply that on the field he could be a force inside. Zuber is somewhat unknown, didn't workout as a rookie prospect, is supposedly fast but not to the point it jumps off the screen.

All of this means nothing without an accurate passer, unless Mac Jones shines immediately or Stidham pulls out of the nosedive he's in, this team will be limited passing the ball. The bigger taller guys will be more productive and the little guys are screwed with Cam, the deep ball guys had better catch it at midfield and run with it otherwise forget it. The weapons will be QB dependent... as always, and it won't necessarily be their fault if Cam is bad again.

Meyers didn't play till October 24 and put up 750 yards in 11 games. That's a 1100 yard receiver. There's only a half dozen WR's including Meyers who put up a 70% catch rate and over 12 yards per catch, Meyers and 5 NFL all-pro's on the list, that's it. Meyers had a 169 yard receiving game last year, the only other Patriot WRs in history to ever have that many receiving yards as well (2 guys) are all in the Patriot Hall of Fame. That's all with crap TE play and crap WR teammates and a bad QB, so defenses were hyper focusing on him.

People discount the kid because he wasn't a 1st round pick so say he's maybe a WR4, but the kid produces like a WR1. Meyers should start over Bourne and I think there's a decent chance he puts up more yards than Agholar does.

N'Keal has all the talent necessary to be a physical jumpball receiver, I get that it's taboo to say anything complimentary about him around here but he is only 24 years old, the same age as Asiasi, Onwenu and the kids drafted last year. You put two TE's on the field and have Harry on the field that's the equivalent of three TE's.... great blocking in the run game and physical in the passing game. He's big and tall, he isn't super mobile like most of the other WR's but has good mobility for his size, he needs the ball thrown to where only he can get it and that requires an accurate passer.

NKeal Harry is a total waste of snaps. Worst catch rate on the team and only 9 yards a catch when he's force fed the ball.
Would not make any sense to play NKeal Harry when we have 12 starters for 11 spots: Meyers, Agholar, Bourne, Henry, Jonnu Smith, + OLine and QB+RB. That's already 12 guys for 11 spots. Makes no sense to play Harry ever again. I think Tre Nixon will surpass Harry over the season. Harry would have been cut already if not for the embarrassment of busting a 1st round pick.

NKeal Harry is a total waste of snaps. Worst catch rate on the team and only 9 yards a catch when he's force fed the ball.
Would not make any sense to play NKeal Harry when we have 12 starters for 11 spots: Meyers, Agholar, Bourne, Henry, Jonnu Smith, + OLine and QB+RB. That's already 12 guys for 11 spots. Makes no sense to play Harry ever again. I think Tre Nixon will surpass Harry over the season. Harry would have been cut already if not for the embarrassment of busting a 1st round pick.

I heard he has a birthmark under his hair that says 666 and he’s the antichrist... might just be a rumor though.

Meyers didn't play till October 24 and put up 750 yards in 11 games. That's a 1100 yard receiver. There's only a half dozen WR's including Meyers who put up a 70% catch rate and over 12 yards per catch, Meyers and 5 NFL all-pro's on the list, that's it. Meyers had a 169 yard receiving game last year, the only other Patriot WRs in history to ever have that many receiving yards as well (2 guys) are all in the Patriot Hall of Fame. That's all with crap TE play and crap WR teammates and a bad QB, so defenses were hyper focusing on him.

People discount the kid because he wasn't a 1st round pick so say he's maybe a WR4, but the kid produces like a WR1. Meyers should start over Bourne and I think there's a decent chance he puts up more yards than Agholar does.

Let's slow a bit on this. Defenses were not hyper focusing on him. The majority of his catches came on crossers, deep overs, comebacks down the hash, etc, and much of it against zone. I'll circle back to that later.

He was active in 14 games, not 11. He also only had 729 yards for the entire season, so not sure how that turns into 750 in 11 games. He had no catches in two of the games, and one catch for seven yards in another game, so his actual average in games in which he was active was 52 yards/game -- or about 833 for the season. If it's okay for you to highlight his best games, where he received significant targets, while ignoring the three games where he put up a combined seven yards, then I'm going to also ignore his outlier games of high production and post his other nine games. ;)

1620833846470.png

That's 442 yards in nine games -- or 553 in ten games, if I'm feeling charitable and include his 111 yard game -- which is far more representative of his talent level and role with the team at roughly 50 - 55 yards a game. That's totally fine. He's a solid player who can help our team. But he is not a WR1. He doesn't produce like it, and he certainly doesn't command the coverages usually associated with that label.

The majority of his catches came against zone and were the result of him taking advantage of smart play design from your favorite OC. ;) He did start of the year with a few tight catches, but as his use ramped up, he was used in space. His routes were average compared with a true #1 or #2, but they were solid enough to suggest he can still grow in that area. I'm not ragging on him. He's done well when he's had a chance, but he's generally not getting #1 or #2 corners paying attention to him, or extra safety help. He's smart and finds holes in zones. There's a role for a player like that, and I'm glad he's on the team.

"But he only played 10% of the snaps in those other three games!" you may say. Sure, he may have been undervalued early on. That certainly doesn't mean we should overvalue him now.

As an aside, 2017 was going to threaten for one of the greatest offenses in NFL history. It was going to feature Gronk & Edelman in their prime with Brandin Cooks requiring attention deep along with Amendola & Hogan as depth options. This group doesn’t come close.

I think there are alot of similarities between Henry, Smith, Agholor, Meyers & Bourne to 2016 (without Gronk):
  • Julian Edelman
  • Martellus Bennett
  • Chris Hogan
  • Danny Amendola
  • Malcolm Mitchell
There isn’t a high end option but a solid group of complimentary players that can beat man coverage. The pats had 0-1 of those players on the field at any given point last season.

2017 overall was going to be damn near unstoppable adding gilmore and cooks to a championship team. The injuries to ht and edelman changed everything

This set of receiving options is the best since ???

We've seen no reps from Jones and receivers. But, IMO, this looks really good.

IMO, when Jones is ready, this could be the best set of receiving options in a very long time.
And yes, the receptions may not be concentrated in two players like Gronk and Edelman.
This group will be here through next year, presuming that there is White or a replacement.

Agholor, Bourne, Myers
Henry, Smith
White, Harris

I know that I'm ignoring any contributions or #4 WR, #5 WR, #3TE or from our FB.
I would take 2016 over this group easily. A prime Gronk and a prime Edelman is lightyears better than anything we have offensively now.

Let's slow a bit on this. Defenses were not hyper focusing on him. The majority of his catches came on crossers, deep overs, comebacks down the hash, etc, and much of it against zone. I'll circle back to that later.

He was active in 14 games, not 11. He also only had 729 yards for the entire season, so not sure how that turns into 750 in 11 games. He had no catches in two of the games, and one catch for seven yards in another game, so his actual average in games in which he was active was 52 yards/game -- or about 833 for the season. If it's okay for you to highlight his best games, where he received significant targets, while ignoring the three games where he put up a combined seven yards, then I'm going to also ignore his outlier games of high production and post his other nine games. ;)

View attachment 32885

That's 442 yards in nine games -- or 553 in ten games, if I'm feeling charitable and include his 111 yard game -- which is far more representative of his talent level and role with the team at roughly 50 - 55 yards a game. That's totally fine. He's a solid player who can help our team. But he is not a WR1. He doesn't produce like it, and he certainly doesn't command the coverages usually associated with that label.

The majority of his catches came against zone and were the result of him taking advantage of smart play design from your favorite OC. ;) He did start of the year with a few tight catches, but as his use ramped up, he was used in space. His routes were average compared with a true #1 or #2, but they were solid enough to suggest he can still grow in that area. I'm not ragging on him. He's done well when he's had a chance, but he's generally not getting #1 or #2 corners paying attention to him, or extra safety help. He's smart and finds holes in zones. There's a role for a player like that, and I'm glad he's on the team.

"But he only played 10% of the snaps in those other three games!" you may say. Sure, he may have been undervalued early on. That certainly doesn't mean we should overvalue him now.

You're making up things. Look at the facts. Game log posted below. Oct25 through end of the year he put up 722 yards in 11 games. It's funny but also pathetic you're trying to downplay this. Meyers has the best separation-against-CB metrics on the team, and also best catch %. Sorry that you're sore that NKeal Harry is a total bust and that the offensive staff didn't even know Meyers and Harris were good until NKeal and Michel were IR'd. Meyers is already a 1000 yard caliber receiver and yes it looks terrible that an undrafted kid is better than our 1st round pick but it's the truth. Also you downplaying how he got his catches is pretty pathetic too. 90% of Edelman and Welker's production were interior option routes, who cares.

Screenshot_20210512-104239.png

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210512-104239.png
    Screenshot_20210512-104239.png
    798.2 KB · Views: 0
I say 2017....

Brady threw for FIVE HUNDRED AND FIVE YARDS IN THE SUPERBOWL...and lost....

You're making up things. Look at the facts. Game log posted below. Oct25 through end of the year he put up 722 yards in 11 games. It's funny but also pathetic you're trying to downplay this. Meyers has the best separation-against-CB metrics on the team, and also best catch %. Sorry that you're sore that NKeal Harry is a total bust and that the offensive staff didn't even know Meyers and Harris were good until NKeal and Michel were IR'd. Meyers is already a 1000 yard caliber receiver and yes it looks terrible that an undrafted kid is better than our 1st round pick but it's the truth. Also you downplaying how he got his catches is pretty pathetic too. 90% of Edelman and Welker's production were interior option routes, who cares.

View attachment 32891

You know, I think it's time I just put you on ignore for a while, mate. :) Your obsession with the offensive coaching staff is unwarranted, unfounded, and uninteresting. I also said numerous times that I'm glad he's on the team. I think he's an overall asset. But your projection is just that: a projection. You can't make it sound like an absolute fact that he's a 1000 yard receiver. He's not. He also has weaknesses. And that's okay.​
I made up nothing. I posted logs and video. Let's not go that route, please. :)
I reset my ignore list every year, so I'm sure we'll chat again during games threads and perhaps into the next draft season. Looking forward to a civil discourse!​

You know, I think it's time I just put you on ignore for a while, mate. :) Your obsession with the offensive coaching staff is unwarranted, unfounded, and uninteresting. I also said numerous times that I'm glad he's on the team. I think he's an overall asset. But your projection is just that: a projection. You can't make it sound like an absolute fact that he's a 1000 yard receiver. He's not. He also has weaknesses. And that's okay.​
I made up nothing. I posted logs and video. Let's not go that route, please. :)
I reset my ignore list every year, so I'm sure we'll chat again during games threads and perhaps into the next draft season. Looking forward to a civil discourse!​

So you have zero to say since I posted actual game log stats to combat your garbage. Got it. 722 yards in 11 games, and stats that put him on lists with 5 all-pro's and 2 Patriot Hall of Fame WRs show Jacobi Meyers is way more than a WR3. Sorry that you refuse to see Meyers is better than you think, since you're locked into a guy's draft status. Maybe someday NKeal Harry will shine in a non-NFL football league after we cut him.

I say 2017....

Brady threw for FIVE HUNDRED AND FIVE YARDS IN THE SUPERBOWL...and lost....
But how many TDs did he catch? WHAT Gisele... it is NOT too soon...

God, 4 months till for reals

I can't wait to know who's on this team, see them in games, see surprise successes (OMG, Harry isn't a waste of space or OMG Cam is okay once he does have Agholar and doesn't have COVID... OMG, our D is way better when High isn't taking a COVID powder... we've got a "Mr Inside" to go with Wino outside... etc...) all pleasant surprises preferred, of course.

Hoping there's enough ammo to get back to contention this year. Say goodbye to JMac, say hello to Mac J... hope we get him launched this season. Hoping NOT to slip further - by all indications, we should be on the road to recovery

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back