PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Our Receivers Are Already Better Than In 2022

I've done a 180 and think BB surprises and goes playmaker in the 1st round. I'm hoping for Zay Flowers.
I know OT or CB is the safer bet, but the pressure is on this team (and BB the GM) in a major way.
I wouldn't be surprised if he trades down to mid-20's, and tries to get Zay, or even TE Mayer.
(I don't know why some mocks have them taking Bijan at #14, that's stupid. We have Rham & Strong & just signed Robinson)

I've done a 180 and think BB surprises and goes playmaker in the 1st round. I'm hoping for Zay Flowers.
I know OT or CB is the safer bet, but the pressure is on this team (and BB the GM) in a major way.
I wouldn't be surprised if he trades down to mid-20's, and tries to get Zay, or even TE Mayer.
(I don't know why some mocks have them taking Bijan at #14, that's stupid. We have Rham & Strong & just signed Robinson)
While I agree, I don't think that Strong has shown much. That's OK. He is basically in the same position in the rotation as last year.

Our receiving corp is already better than in 2022. We have

1) a better OC

2) a better OL coach

3) a 2nd receiving TE

4) improved OT's

5) the addition of a receiving RB

6) Thornton, Bourne and Parker should all be better with better coaching and with another year together
=================
I believe that Belichick will continue to
6) try to find a top receiver at a reasonable price
7) bring in competition for camp (also needed in case of injury)
8) Look for a 5th receiver in the draft
===========
HOWEVER, Belichick may be more satisfied with what we have than we are, with 7 targets behind an improved OL.

WR: Shuster, Thornton, Parker, Bourne
TE: Henry, Gesicki
RB: Harrison
Who's the QB? Curiously not mentioned. I see the WRs, TEs, RBs, OL, HC, OC, even the OL coach... yet no mention of the incumbent QB.

I have no idea who RB Harrison is but I think it's ironic you mention "him" because the actual guy's name probably isn't worth remembering. I like the WRs (aside from the twig), and the TEs, and Rhamondre, however that group needs a top tier WR1 if the team wants to be successful with the unnamed QB.

I agree they will be they are better, but still need another draft pick within the first 3 rounds of the upcoming draft.

Juju is better value than Meyers.

Bourne was already better than Meyers and I see a bounce back year with him as long as the office politics have ended.
I love the devaluing of departed Patriots that goes on here all the time (not necessarily by you). Considering it even happens with Brady, I shouldn't be surprised that the leading WR on the team for the past two seasons suddenly "wasn't that good after all." Funny how that works.

Who's the QB? Curiously not mentioned. I see the WRs, TEs, RBs, OL, HC, OC, even the OL coach... yet no mention of the incumbent QB.
He said "receivers" and Mac should be better.
I have no idea who RB Harrison is but I think it's ironic you mention "him" because the actual guy's name probably isn't worth remembering. I like the WRs (aside from the twig), and the TEs, and Rhamondre, however that group needs a top tier WR1 if the team wants to be successful with the unnamed QB.
Read up on Harrison before he got hurt.

I love juju's physicality, he's tough to tackle and does his work slot, boundary, and intermediate.. he will likely command teams # 1 CB's.. wich allows guys like Thornton, Bourne and Parker to make plays..
JuJu is a good receiver but he's not in the class of "commanding attention." Honestly I'm not sure he's that much better than Parker or Bourne (both of whom I like too). 2018 was a long time ago and JuJu had the large benefit of AB terrorizing DBs on the other side of the field. He hasn't been the same without AB. He was better last season but Mahomes could probably squeeze 500 yards out of Raleigh Webb.

I am in minority here but I think offense will be better with simply improved OL play, the addition of a 2nd competent TE, and a slight improvement in WR talent/play. Just having a real OC and OL coaches I think drastically improves our offense and the roster looks incrementally better even before draft/rest of FA.

Not saying we will light the world on fire with our O, but I think we will be competent at worst (for reference, I rate 2021 Offense in the "dumpster fire" category).

I also think the D is in good shape, so hopefully lots of draft picks on O to further improve the line, maybe a young TE, WR to complement our existing group.

JuJu is a good receiver but he's not in the class of "commanding attention." Honestly I'm not sure he's that much better than Parker or Bourne (both of whom I like too). 2018 was a long time ago and JuJu had the large benefit of AB terrorizing DBs on the other side of the field. He hasn't been the same without AB. He was better last season but Mahomes could probably squeeze 500 yards out of Raleigh Webb.
Juju is a far better WR than he gets credit for.. if we played a game today he'd automatically command the defenses attention.. people forget he has been injured last season and half. Last season he other than kelce was KCs best WR..

Yeah he may not be Diggs or hill but he was brung in due to his playmakimg ability and YAC.. I'd agree he had his best season with AB absolutely true. Again he had a serious knee injury that took time. I like him.. he's a huge key in the cog on offense that's far from complete so I'm happy we signed him however we are still going to add more offensive talent at that position!

He said "receivers"
And proceeded to mention literally everyone on offense except for the QB.

Mac should be better
I hope so. And I agree, that his numbers will look better. Do you think Mac with the current supporting cast (likely still to improve some before the offseason is over) is good enough to compete in the division? Never mind the entire loaded AFC. Just the division... Allen/Buffalo, Tua/Miami, and Rodgers/NYJ.

Read up on Harrison before he got hurt.
RBs have a way of falling off the face of the Earth. "Harrison" seems like a possible candidate.

Juju is a far better WR than he gets credit for.. if we played a game today he'd automatically command the defenses attention.. people forget he has been injured last season and half. Last season he other than kelce was KCs best WR..
Give Reid a lot of credit, his WR group wasn't strong so he funneled a lot of passing plays through his TEs and RBs, especially in the red zone. Mahomes only had 13 TD passes to his WRs... 28 to TEs and RBs.

Yeah he may not be Diggs or hill but he was brung in due to his playmakimg ability and YAC.. I'd agree he had his best season with AB absolutely true. Again he had a serious knee injury that took time. I like him.. he's a huge key in the cog on offense that's far from complete so I'm happy we signed him however we are still going to add more offensive talent at that position!
Well, that's sort of my point, JuJu is not Tyreek, Chase, Adams, Diggs, etc. i.e. he's not a true WR1. Still I like him, good signing (not at the expense of losing Meyers but that's another discussion), but to your last point, even with him, the team needs to add more at the WR position (because of the lightweight QB play, which is my opinion).

I love the devaluing of departed Patriots that goes on here all the time (not necessarily by you). Considering it even happens with Brady, I shouldn't be surprised that the leading WR on the team for the past two seasons suddenly "wasn't that good after all." Funny how that works.
The board will not miss Meyers and he will be forgotten as early as next season. His production is easily replaceable.

He has been the most overrated offensive player on the Pats in quite some time. In fact, the offense this season was better when he wasn't the leading target or didn't even play as it forced Mac to push it downfield.

Great. Meanwhile we are just Tua being able to remain unconcussed from being 4th in the AFC East.

The board will not miss Meyers and he will be forgotten as early as next season. His production is easily replaceable.

He has been the most overrated offensive player on the Pats in quite some time. In fact, the offense this season was better when he wasn't the leading target or didn't even play as it forced Mac to push it downfield.
whoa... a real Jakobi hater!

Mac ranked 19th in Completed Air Yards, below Davis Mills and Matt Ryan (who forgot how to play football this season).

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back