PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Our Coordinators

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think with Mac as the QB a more modern OC would help quite a bit but so long as BB is the coach I doubt they'll be changing the playbook that much. Coaches don't really totally change their philosophies like that (although the Ravens did it a few years ago) so it would be shocking. The defense needs some youth and some help from the offense.

Well, you can't roll out a total offense when the QB is just learning how to be a pro in the NFL. It's just not going to happen. And no one has done it since Dan Marino, not even Peyton Manning.
No where I said that a total re-work of the offense. Change is the word. Change, to me, comes with evaluation whats good and whats bad.

There is good stuff in the Playbook. There are great plays and great gimmicks and great designs.

We keep the good, we cut off the bad. That's a good change. And let me be clear from the get go, no I dont have the answer, especifically, for whats good. I could, but then I want to get paid first

No where I said that a total re-work of the offense. Change is the word. Change, to me, comes with evaluation whats good and whats bad.

There is good stuff in the Playbook. There are great play and great gimmick and great design.

We keep the good, we cut off the bad. That's a good change.
Personal is a great start.
Get White back, bring in any of these 2 Michael Wiliams, DJ Chark,Isiah McKenzie. Calvin Ridley, find a slot machine at receiver.

I think with Mac as the QB a more modern OC would help quite a bit but so long as BB is the coach I doubt they'll be changing the playbook that much. Coaches don't really totally change their philosophies like that (although the Ravens did it a few years ago) so it would be shocking. The defense needs some youth and some help from the offense.
I cannot agree with this statement at any level, at least on the offense part. Correct me if Im wrong, but to me what you are saying is analogous to "some things cant change" or "old dogs cant learn new tricks".

Absolute BS. Everything man-made can me man-transformed

On Defense, agreed, but Id like to see fundamental changes as well

I wanna raise this discussion for you guys. I wanna hear your thoughts on this , and as much as angry as I am with the outcome of the game, Ill try to answer to your bad different reasoning with a peaceful mind

Aight...

We CANT stay with ALL OF OUR COORDINATORS.
Like, outside of football. This is THE CRAZIEST, BIGGEST, MOST FLAGRANT red flags possible. A "cornerstone" of the previous legacy, ailed by the son-of-the-genius-boss. Man. This is a recipe for absolute disaster.

Lets start with McD:

We gotta a Extremely succesful, legacy-setting OC, WHO HAS STOPPED INNOVATING IN YEARS AND HAS CLEARLY FALLEN BEHIND THE CONCEPTS OF THE MODERN GAME, running EVERYTHING on Offense. We are in a McVay/Shannahan-style life on offense, we need to work in Trips WRs, we need to put a lot of people in motion, and we gotta design play to put the ball in our playmakers hands (whoever they are). The fluidity of options given by the EP system is awesome. Its also outdated, when you are facing 6 DBS, and 2 LBs who can cover the whole field, and there arent any spaces left in the medium zone, where the EP is optimal. WE NEED TO CHANGE. Im not even dwelling into play calling, and I will even end on a higher note for Josh: He should be working exclusively with Mac. Good ol' Qb coach, as in the good days. Let the offense look for new blood.

Now...

Steve Bellichick.

There is not a world where I think its okay for this guy to be our DC. If Mayo leaves and he is retained as our top guy, I will be FUMMING. I hate the new forum search*, so Im gonna avoid trying to repeat what I said previously: WHAT DOES HE BRING TO THE TABLE? What capacities has he earned, except by being part of the best well-oiled machine in pro-sports for 20 years, in maybe ever? Stop and think about it. Everything he learned was IN-HOUSE. Does that mean that he isnt qualified? Of course not. BUT HE GREW IN A SYSTEM RUNNED BY HIS ****ING FATHER. Even if we disregard the most obvious, blatant bias that exists in nature (the family-bond), He is a guy who knows exactly what to do to be "well-viewed". Thats the killer of nepotism, he knows, literraly, the annals of whats good and bad, in the eyes of his daddy. Man... I can stress this enough... Ive worked with companies that literally went out of business bc of this

There, this is my rant. Im ready for 2022 season babyyy

*Sorry @Ian , I can never find what i need (and i could on the previous format), although its literally my only problem with it.

I don’t think you and I see the same game on offense. I see quite a bit of creativity from JM, especially with what he has to work with.

I’m with you on Achord, Mayo and SB, though.

I'll make it simple.

1. McDaniels stays. He's developing Mac perfectly and with a **** passing game he morphed us into a power run team that was able to get us in the playoffs. Would be horrible for Mac to lose him now.

2. Let Mayo get a job somewhere else..

3. Fire Patricia and close every fast food joint within 100 miles of Foxborough so he never returns.

4. Have Bill go back to overseeing the defense and having Steve be under him like the last 2 years

Problem with solved. We have the greatest defensive mind in the NFL and he delegated to Patricia/Mayo/Steven. It should always have been Bill Belichick at the top with one guy he trusts doing the grunt work and learning.

*5. Have Kraft give Scar a $100 million dollar contract to return and promise to give his estate $10 million dollars a year for the 20 years after he passes if Scar never leaves again

I don’t think you and I see the same game on offense. I see quite a bit of creativity from JM, especially with what he has to work with.

I’m with you on Achord, Mayo and SB, though.
Fair enough. I would like to ask more specifics on why, but I appreciatte the input already

To me, and its part of whats good and why we dont need to blow-over and start from scratch, is our work with RBs (design plays), TE-usage. Those are generally good IMO, but the rest (and of course, being too general still) is lackluster in comparison

I wanna raise this discussion for you guys. I wanna hear your thoughts on this , and as much as angry as I am with the outcome of the game, Ill try to answer to your bad different reasoning with a peaceful mind

Aight...

We CANT stay with ALL OF OUR COORDINATORS.
Like, outside of football. This is THE CRAZIEST, BIGGEST, MOST FLAGRANT red flags possible. A "cornerstone" of the previous legacy, ailed by the son-of-the-genius-boss. Man. This is a recipe for absolute disaster.

Lets start with McD:

We gotta a Extremely succesful, legacy-setting OC, WHO HAS STOPPED INNOVATING IN YEARS AND HAS CLEARLY FALLEN BEHIND THE CONCEPTS OF THE MODERN GAME, running EVERYTHING on Offense. We are in a McVay/Shannahan-style life on offense, we need to work in Trips WRs, we need to put a lot of people in motion, and we gotta design play to put the ball in our playmakers hands (whoever they are). The fluidity of options given by the EP system is awesome. Its also outdated, when you are facing 6 DBS, and 2 LBs who can cover the whole field, and there arent any spaces left in the medium zone, where the EP is optimal. WE NEED TO CHANGE. Im not even dwelling into play calling, and I will even end on a higher note for Josh: He should be working exclusively with Mac. Good ol' Qb coach, as in the good days. Let the offense look for new blood.

Now...

Steve Bellichick.

There is not a world where I think its okay for this guy to be our DC. If Mayo leaves and he is retained as our top guy, I will be FUMMING. I hate the new forum search*, so Im gonna avoid trying to repeat what I said previously: WHAT DOES HE BRING TO THE TABLE? What capacities has he earned, except by being part of the best well-oiled machine in pro-sports for 20 years, in maybe ever? Stop and think about it. Everything he learned was IN-HOUSE. Does that mean that he isnt qualified? Of course not. BUT HE GREW IN A SYSTEM RUNNED BY HIS ****ING FATHER. Even if we disregard the most obvious, blatant bias that exists in nature (the family-bond), He is a guy who knows exactly what to do to be "well-viewed". Thats the killer of nepotism, he knows, literraly, the annals of whats good and bad, in the eyes of his daddy. Man... I can stress this enough... Ive worked with companies that literally went out of business bc of this

There, this is my rant. Im ready for 2022 season babyyy

*Sorry @Ian , I can never find what i need (and i could on the previous format), although its literally my only problem with it.
Lol, there’s an additional “Thread Search Tool” on the left menu. Open that and it has more thread-specific options but I’ll try and organize that better over the off-season.

There is good stuff in the Playbook. There are great plays and great gimmicks and great designs.

We keep the good, we cut off the bad. That's a good change. And let me be clear from the get go, no I dont have the answer, especifically, for whats good. I could, but then I want to get paid first
I just have faith that McD and Mac are two who are highly capable of taking every advantage on offense they can. Even I can see Mac has trouble going through progressions or seeing when a guy is wide open early, but he's probably ahead of Brady in that regard at this point in their careers (and no, I'm not saying he'l develop into Brady). Mac will learn to work the open spaces on the field.

Personal is a great start.
Get White back, bring in any of these 2 Michael Wiliams, DJ Chark,Isiah McKenzie. Calvin Ridley, find a slot machine at receiver.
McKenzie is a non-performer against every team except the Patriots, and the reason why is because our free safety is slow. I mean look at McKenzie's production

Who should be the OC? The options are generally either youngish QB coaches who have never called plays or retreads who performed poorly enough to get fired from their last OC job. There’s no nobody out there who is guaranteed or I’d argue even likely to be an upgrade over McDaniels.

Last edited:
Fair enough. I would like to ask more specifics on why, but I appreciatte the input already

To me, and its part of whats good and why we dont need to blow-over and start from scratch, is our work with RBs (design plays), TE-usage. Those are generally good IMO, but the rest (and of course, being too general still) is lackluster in comparison
But the playbook has had trips and 4 or 5 receiver sets running double fades, posts and corners for 15 years. They don’t have the personnel to run those as much now. I think you’ll see more of that in MacYear Two. Same with No Huddle.

McKenzie is a non-performer against every team except the Patriots, and the reason why is because our free safety is slow. I mean look at McKenzie's production
Slow is the operative word to describe most of the defense.

But the playbook has had trips and 4 or 5 receiver sets running double fades, posts and corners for 15 years. They don’t have the personnel to run those as much now. I think you’ll see more of that in MacYear Two. Same with No Huddle.
Thats a start, and I can only hope you are right...

Lol, there’s an additional “Thread Search Tool” on the left menu. Open that and it has more thread-specific options but I’ll try and organize that better over the off-season.
Ill admit that i did not know that.

I truly loved the old system, for what is worth, even if it was limited

Reactions: Ian
Who should be the OC? The options are generally either youngish QB coaches who have never called plays or retreads who performed poorly enough to get fired from their last OC job. There’s no nobody out there who is guaranteed or I’d argue even likely to be an upgrade over McDaniels.
If Mcdaniels becomes a head coach we don’t have much of a choice.

The NFL is always evolving and we have an organization still thinking we are in 2010 when it comes to schemes, game plans, and player evaluation. Look at what happened when we gave some folks with fresh ideas influence our last draft. Coaching staff needs to be the next focus.

Here's the thing:

If you're a company dominating a market, the goal is to keep a continuing philosophical culture. When you're a company like Apple or Amazon, you want to make sure everyone is following established processes that are working. You want to train your own people based on your own business culture. As long as you're on top, the goal is continuing to replicate a winning formula. That worked for the Patriots for many years, developing their own people and promoting internally.

As so often happens, a shift happens in every company that dominates a market. Sometimes it's gradual, and sometimes it's sudden. But the company realizes that it's no longer on the cutting edge of innovation. The philosophies that worked for a long time, no longer seem to work. And even worse, it seems that all of the top people merely echo the same concepts that worked in the past. Everyone merely becomes "a yes man" and tells the leader he's right to go back to those same exact ideas that made them successful, and the problem is always identified as the people or personnel not properly carrying out the code; the leader, having hired and taught these people that same philosophy, doesn't see the blind spots.

This is why bringing in external people at high levels of the organization, and bringing in coordinators and assistants from other teams, is essential for the Patriots. They need to be challenged and adapt. It doesn't mean they need to change everything and that everything they're doing is stupid. I don't think anyone can look at this team and think the coaches are buffoons. But they're clearly not innovative like they used to be. And they're not going to get innovative when all of their coaches were brought up in an environment where you build a team a certain way, coach a certain way, and are unable to think outside the box. This isn't just a gameplan thing...it carries over to the entire culture, personnel decisions, and the draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes