PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT - World Cup 2018 Thread

Pressure

What a game

Neither of those Goalies deserved to go home.

Congrats to Croatia!

Crazy match. I heard during the transmission that the FIFA's encouraging not expelling players with a straight red card if there is ANY sort of fight for the ball.... So that means that it only needs to be close to the ball, cause that was a Red Card sort of foul if i ever saw one. Ridiculous.

Still, "Robbed pk never go in" is a saying here in Brazil (we have a bunch of others football sayings too) and that standed true. I was actually rooting for Denmark after that, only because it was awesome.

Im not mad about Croatia going forward, though. Whoever wins between Colombia and England, will be the only realistic final-contender left, after them. Sorry Brits, Im kinda wanting Colombia to win the match, if only to make a new champion something of a "almost real" fantasy.

Almost real, cause, you know... we got this

#OHexaVem

My son is a keeper ... he will be playing in college ...
That shootout was amazing ... my kid loved it.

It’s rare you see a GK duel like that. Credit to both

And best of luck to your son! If I could do it over again, I’d have been a goalie.

People laughed when I suggested Russia had a chance. Spain, Portugal, Argentina and Germany out. It's anyone's Cup. Heck, even England could win.

Still feel the winner will come from the top half

People laughed when I suggested Russia had a chance. Spain, Portugal, Argentina and Germany out. It's anyone's Cup. Heck, even England could win.

In a sport where refereeing or any sort of subjective force can affect the outcome, the Russians always have a chance. Especially in Russia.

That’s what makes the dying minutes so exciting.

I had to disagree with you. It’s what makes it so confusing. You don’t know when the game is going to end. Nobody does. Even the players seem surprised sometimes. And why don’t they put a Clock on the TV Broadcast? A secondary countdown clock perhaps?

It’s a sport. Not a horror movie where I’m asking to know exactly when a victim is about to be killed. I like surprise in those situations. I don’t like surprises in terms of when the game will end.

I had to disagree with you. It’s what makes it so confusing. You don’t know when the game is going to end. Nobody does. Even the players seem surprised sometimes. And why don’t they put a Clock on the TV Broadcast? A secondary countdown clock perhaps?

It’s a sport. Not a horror movie where I’m asking to know exactly when a victim is about to be killed. I like surprise in those situations. I don’t like surprises in terms of when the game will end.

You have an official timekeeper and you know when normal time is going to end. The official timekeeper adds on extra time and the crowd are notified of extra time. It used to be known as "injury time" because in the good old days the only reason to add on further time was because of the time taken to deal with on-pitch injuries.

Now, thanks to "catimba" -- at which both Portugal and Uruguay excel -- not only do they have to extend the match for time-wasting during the first 90 minutes, but they have to allow for time-wasting during the extra time, so that the ref has discretion to extend. So long as that takes place, there isn't any other reasonable option. Of course, that too is open to abuse.

The best thing is not to watch any football between the crooks, however skilful some of their players are.

Why should the official timekeeper's running log of stoppage time that will be added be kept secret? Have a "Shot clock" so that when you get to 90, the stoppage time shot clock tells you what's left (say, 3:45) and then this clock begins to count down to zero. This clock is stopped by the timekeeper when additional stoppage time occurs.

Just think, if the U.S. knew how to field a team they could be in the quarterfinals.

Crazy match. I heard during the transmission that the FIFA's encouraging not expelling players with a straight red card if there is ANY sort of fight for the ball.... So that means that it only needs to be close to the ball, cause that was a Red Card sort of foul if i ever saw one. Ridiculous.

Still, "Robbed pk never go in" is a saying here in Brazil (we have a bunch of others football sayings too) and that standed true. I was actually rooting for Denmark after that, only because it was awesome.

Im not mad about Croatia going forward, though. Whoever wins between Colombia and England, will be the only realistic final-contender left, after them. Sorry Brits, Im kinda wanting Colombia to win the match, if only to make a new champion something of a "almost real" fantasy.

Almost real, cause, you know... we got this

#OHexaVem

The defender in that case did at least try to go for the ball and under the current rules that doesn't result in a red card.

Also Mexico please win and Colombia please please please win.

Wow. In true USMNT spirit, Mexico dissapoints in the brackets...

#OHEXAVEM

Mexico as always. Good ball skills, good passing but no penetration and no killer instinct in front of goal.

Vamos brazil! Campeoes da copa do mundo! Could have been 3-0 or 4-0 if it wasn’t for ochoa. Ochoa deserves better.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back