PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT - World Cup 2018 Thread

And we do.

Tunisia defended very well but never ever threatened. England toiled at times but deserved the win. Would love to see Loftus-Cheek and Rashford start against Panama.
Glad to see England win on principle. Tunisia played for the draw, packing it in defensively. I hate that strategy.

Regards,
Chris

I haven't had many soccer discussions in my lifetime and my opinions are based on those limited talks. I've always wondered why we don't have a stronger men's team than we do, especially since the game has been played here now for many years.

I'm not sure that I understand the problem you described. Is the USMNT where kids need to go to really learn soccer and the kids who get to go are the wealthier kids? And how does a kid who was born in CA play for Mexico?

The very good youth development programs with the best resources and coaches are very expensive and price out poorer young players with potential, who also tend to be less white. And on top of that, the coaches tend to be much whiter than would be representative of US soccer playing youth. Think about it in terms of "travel teams" and the like and how expensive it is to actually travel for youth sports, but if you have kids who played hockey or soccer or gymnastics or even swam, you know how important it is to their development to play on a travel team as a kid.

There's actually a similar problem with quarterbacks in football. You pay tons of money and you can get private coaching and high level camps for your kid, and that tends to benefit a wealthier, whiter potential quarterback. Christian Hackenburg is the exemplar here, a kid whose dad paid tens of thousands of dollars to get him private coaching and all this other stuff, enough to put him high above other kids in high school... but eventually the lack of talent catches up. Not soon enough for the Jets, but we can laugh at them.

That's not to say every USMNT player is a Hackenburg, but the youth development system in the US really favors a particular and particularly expensive path of development and makes it much harder for really good but poorer kids to shine, which really hurts poorer second-generation Hispanic kids who are basically born with a soccer ball at their feet. Other countries literally pay the most promising kids to play in their youth systems, almost like juniors in hockey, which is how you get so many working class immigrant kids on the English team for example. But the US also rules that out because paying 16 year olds (or their families) would make them professionals and kill their NCAA eligibility, which is still an important consideration in soccer; though the best American players never play in college, it's not something you can assume unless you're a Pulisic, and a surprising number of USMNT players did play at least a year or two in college.

As for Gonzalez, FIFA allows you to play for any country you have "a clear connection with" which often means parentage (see Tunisia's team being all French-born). Gonzalez isn't even a Mexican citizen. Once you pick a country and play for them at the adult level, you're stuck with them though. But you'll see things like Gonzalez where he played for the US U-17 and U-20 teams and then switched to Mexico despite heavy pleading from the USMNT, but it's not all that common.

Last edited:
Some interesting results today, to say the least!

Good first half between Russia and Egypt. The hosts have looked very balanced with Golovin the standout performer again. Salah has been a little bit on the fringes but has had the best chance of the game and pushed a smart shot just wide. Impressed with the Egyptian #9 as well.

Some interesting results today, to say the least!

Good first half between Russia and Egypt. The hosts have looked very balanced with Golovin the standout performer again. Salah has been a little bit on the fringes but has had the best chance of the game and pushed a smart shot just wide. Impressed with the Egyptian #9 as well.

I didn't like how passive Egypt started off in the first half. They seemed too cautious, while Russia played more aggressively and it paid off in the second half.

Beautiful shot from Mo Salah, though.

Russia likely gonna see the round of 16. Can’t wait to see how they play against Uruguay. Only met once and it was a draw. A draw likely sees them winning the group because of more goals.

I didn't like how passive Egypt started off in the first half. They seemed too cautious, while Russia played more aggressively and it paid off in the second half.

Beautiful shot from Mo Salah, though.
I got your Salah (a penalty kick!) and raise you the Dzyuba goal.

I feel bad for Egypt. But most of their team is too young and inexperienced. Salah is good and all but he can't do it on his own....

Senegal impressed me more than anyone this world cup. They were focused and ready to pounce seemingly all match long. And their defense held up quite well up until the end. But there was no real reason to be particularly tight on defense by that point. Well done by Senegal. And Japan did a great job pressing Colombia early and forcing the intentional handball to protect goal. They still had some trouble with a 10-man Colombia but hey they snagged those 3 pts. Senegal probably gonna wreck em though lol

I feel bad for Egypt. But most of their team is too young and inexperienced. Salah is good and all but he can't do it on his own....

Senegal impressed me more than anyone this world cup. They were focused and ready to pounce seemingly all match long. And their defense held up quite well up until the end. But there was no real reason to be particularly tight on defense by that point. Well done by Senegal. And Japan did a great job pressing Colombia early and forcing the intentional handball to protect goal. They still had some trouble with a 10-man Colombia but hey they snagged those 3 pts. Senegal probably gonna wreck em though lol

I was hoping Colombia won. Don’t know what the heck Carlos Sanchez was thinking sticking out his hand like that. If they scored so be it but it was early in the game starting out. Now Colombia needs help. They need to beat Poland and hope japan either beats senegal or ties them up. Senegal winning won’t help them at all.

Don’t know what the heck Carlos Sanchez was thinking sticking out his hand like that. If they scored so be it but it was early in the game starting out. Now Colombia needs help. They need to beat Poland and hope japan either beats senegal or ties them up. Senegal winning won’t help them at all.
Yeah, it was uncharacteristic of Colombia to get so nervous that early in the game. They didn't seem very confident despite their history with Japan. Because not only in 2014 WC but they have been able to handle Japan quite easily in friendlies in the past as well. But we all know when you have a winning streak against somebody they'll eventually find a way to break the trend, even if its once. This match was important to Japan, it was pretty much the toughest match in this group for them, and they came in confident and ready to shock the world.

Colombia does seem to have reason to be nervous about playing Senegal. Poland won't be a pushover against them either. The match vs Japan was perceived to be their easiest match to at least get one point from, so now not only do they have 2 tough opponents to play but they also have more pressure applied on them to do better. They came in off the wrong foot. Costa Rica was also a quarterfinalist in 2014 WC and look what's happening to them. Could it be that Costa Rica & Colombia have lost their 2014 magic? Time will tell I suppose

I’d be nervous too if I played for a country that murdered its players who messed up.

I’d be nervous too if I played for a country that murdered its players who messed up.

I was thinking about but i am sure nothing will come out of it. Andres Escobar sadly was murdered.

Portugal up 1-0. I really don’t like how Portugal’s playing right now. It’s Ronaldo and who else? They never seemed to be ready to play well.

Portugal needs that second goal. Only one shot on goal thus far. Can’t handle the soccer ball.

Trash performance from Portugal today. Literally hanging on to that 1-0 lead. Maybe they need to see Spain this afternoon and learn how to create chances.

Portugal is playing much worse now, in comparison to the Eurocup.

Their midfield was completely abysmal in this match.

Portugal is playing much worse now, in comparison to the Eurocup.

Their midfield was completely abysmal in this match.

Silva and Guedes are abysmal. Very dissapointing. Can they have possession?

I wouldn’t put them in the round of 16 yet even if they’re playing Iran. Iran will be playing for the round of 16 as well and morocco actually outplayed Portugal today. Embarrassing.

Silva and Guedes are abysmal. Very dissapointing. Can they have possession?

I wouldn’t put them in the round of 16 yet even if they’re playing Iran. Iran will be playing for the round of 16 as well and morocco actually outplayed Portugal today. Embarrassing.
I've never been impressed by Guedes. In his games with Valencia, i wouldnt even notice him for some time(granted, i do not watch Valencia all that much)

Silva is disappointing. Ronaldo called him "his replacement" for the future after the group stage of Euro, but he hasnt grow all that much since

The only guy i kinda like in that midfield is Bernardo Silva, but he has not been all that good so far. I dislike Willian and Joao Mario too

At least they are all young, plenty of time to grow. However, if they plan on advancing far in thi WC, they need to improve way faster

I’ll take the W, but terrible performance.

Joao Mario and Bernardo Silva have had a terrible WC so far. All they’ve done wad lose possession. Mario gave no help to Guerrero today (who was also abysmal)

I’m actually a big Goncalo Guedes fan, and actually didn’t think he was that bad today. Portugal wants to catch teams on the counter, and Guedes pace is a perfect compliment to CR7.

I’m still optimistic, but this was bad. One thing I will say, these are the types of games Portugal in the past would’ve lost. All things said somethings gotta change. I personally think Bernardo Silva might have to play behind the forwards give him some room and take him off the wing. We need some type of spark.

Given that the host country has won the Cup almost 1/3 of the time I wouldn't be surprised to see Russia win their first. No one has really impressed in this first round.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back