PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Watson to Brownies

Status
Not open for further replies.
That contract will hose the team in 2-3 years
So: the Brown's General Manager, Andrew Berry, had a cap hit of $10.6M for Baker Mayfield last year (it would have gone up to $18.9M in 2022) and now he has to figure out how to pay Watson an average of $46M per year (!!) guaranteed for five years (suddenly an extra $35M above what he payed Mayfield last year) without a first round draft pick for the next three years. Well, Berry will certainly be earning his pay for however long he remains employed, he had better win fast.

Houston has a boatload of picks. I'm guessing they trade high picks to try and get 1st OA in 2023.

Unless Mills is the real deal.

This Is a team who has had garbage at QB for like 30 years. So Watson seems like an elite top tier QB in their eyes.

The reality is he's not better than Mahomes or Allen.

The more I think of it, the more I think Cleveland is screwed.

Sorry but Watson isn't worth that. No way.

This isn't Mahomes or Allen.

Of course he's better.

But Watson has had injury concerns. And the dude seems like a huge headache.

Cleveland isn't even the favorite in that division imo.

The more I think on it, the more I believe Cleveland was desperate. And Watson took them to the cleaners.
you trying to convince us or yourself?

Deshaun Watson to receive $45M signing bonus from Browns; QB's 2022 base salary will be $1M as potential suspension looms (per @TomPelissero)

This also pegs Deshaun Watson's salary cap number for 2022 at just $10 million.

But... Shenanigans! Cap jail!

rofl.gif

So: the Brown's General Manager, Andrew Berry, had a cap hit of $10.6M for Baker Mayfield last year (it would have gone up to $18.9M in 2022) and now he has to figure out how to pay Watson an average of $46M per year (!!) guaranteed for five years (suddenly an extra $35M above what he payed Mayfield last year) without a first round draft pick for the next three years. Well, Berry will certainly be earning his pay for however long he remains employed, he had better win fast.

The new media contracts kick in in 2023, with big cap bumps. The cap number is going to skyrocket. And that doesn't count the upcoming gambling tie-ins.

And the AFC playoff seeding now looks like a bloodbath (pending Injuries/etc). Hope we have more in store....

This contract could change the NFL.

But... Shenanigans! Cap jail!

rofl.gif

As long as he keeps producing and playing well, they’ll continue to kick the can down the road via restructuring in the future. But for now, this means his cap charges for 2023-2026 will average $55m a year.

Who are currently the highest paid QB's?

Watson has to be up there with Mahomes & Rodgers.

So because The Browns have never played in a Super Bowl will that limit the me too backlash other cities might experience?

Bold franchise altering move by Cleveland. They won't be disappointed. Watson is in the conversation with Mahomes and Allen as the best young quarterback in the NFL.

Patriots picked the wrong offseason with do nothing in free agency. Seriously, it will be until at least 2025 that they may compete for a playoff spot.

Yeah.

I'll say this though.

The Browns have a QB who will absolutely give them a chance to win every game.

I don't think anyone can question the fact you can win a SB with Watson.

Here's the huge problem:

This conference is absolutely stacked.

Chiefs
Bills
Chargers
Raiders
Broncos
Browns
Titans (I'm hesitant about putting them here. But they are good).
Ravens
Bengals

I wouldn't be surprised if any of those teams made the SB in 2022. And God bless the team that gets through that gauntlet.

Watch out for the Colts if they get a QB. They are sneaky good.

NE is a wildcard. I don't know. I mean any team with Belichick can never be counted out.

Steelers, Dolphins, Texans, and Jags have absolutely no shot of making the SB next year.

Honestly the future looks very bleak for Pittsburgh & Miami imo. I don't see any hope right now.
Ya the AFC is crazy with great QB's. You gotta win your division or its gonna be a dog fight for final 3 playoff spots. The AFC West is the toughest division, they're gonna beat each other up playing each other 2x each, those division games will be huge.

Ya the AFC is crazy with great QB's. You gotta win your division or its gonna be a dog fight for final 3 playoff spots. The AFC West is the toughest division, they're gonna beat each other up playing each other 2x each, those division games will be huge.
AFC north will be tough too.

Can't remember last time one conference was so loaded with elite QB's.

Maybee Roethlisberger, Rivers, Manning, and Brady in early 2000's.

Bold franchise altering move by Cleveland. They won't be disappointed. Watson is in the conversation with Mahomes and Allen as the best young quarterback in the NFL.

Patriots picked the wrong offseason with do nothing in free agency. Seriously, it will be until at least 2025 that they may compete for a playoff spot.
I figured we would regress a bit going into next year and now seeing how many teams in AFC have made huge additions I am more convinced of it.

I figure in 2023 we will start getting better with younger players through the draft. Getting the right players in the draft will be key.

Browns Fans are a loyal bunch.

It's hard to believe they still have fan clubs across the country. And they sellout most games. This despite the fact they've been thrash for 23 years.

Fans deserve it.

I guess for some people number playoff wins isn't a criterion for rating NFL quarterbacks.

AFC north will be tough too.

Can't remember last time one conference was so loaded with elite QB's.

Maybee Roethlisberger, Rivers, Manning, and Brady in early 2000's.
100%. AFC North has Watson, Burrow and Herbert, that's pretty damn elite as well. The AFC has 7 out of the top 10 QB's.

Between the three (Right now) I'd go:

Mahomes
Allen
Watson

But I don't think the gap is large by any means.

I also don't think QB play will cost a high powered AFC team a playoff. It'll be which defense crumbles first.

And I hate to consider it. But our D is not on the level of some of the other teams. Not yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye