PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Was Randy Moss better than Jerry “Sticky Fingers” Rice?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Moss or Rice?

• Moss

Votes: 33 52.4%
  • Rice

Votes: 30 47.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I say Rice was greater, Moss was probably better

Wait...what??? o_O

Don-Martin_Washroom_534eaf2162ca45.37736626.jpg

Last edited:
It's kind of like an Aaron Rodgers vs Tom Brady argument. Pure athleticism and physical talent only, Rodgers is probably "better." Extra **** you can't measure, clutchness, ability to elevate his team, long sustained success at the top of his position for damn near his whole career, and all-time status, then Brady's the man, or "greater."

I think that you're trying to say "more talented"...not "better".
thumb.gif

01 ~ A lot'f folks get "more talented" mixed up with "better".

02 ~ Moss was more talented than Rice. Sure.

03 ~ But Rice was the better Player.

Rice being the greatest will always have an asterik after he openly talked about using stickum his whole career.

Better means "more good" which translates to the same thing. Greatness has always been a "prestige/career" measurement.

Every time I see Aaron Rodgers compared to Tom Brady I cringe. Mostly because of something that was pointed out by Falcon fans.

Aaron Rodgers only has twelve 4th quarter comebacks in his entire career, which puts him among QBs named Ryan Tannehill and Matt Schaub, not Brady and Brees.

Here's the breakdown on the teams that he had those comebacks against.
Det - 3
Chi - 3
Dal - 2
Cin, Mia, NO, Sea - 1 each.

And now the kicker. Only one of those teams had a winning record at the time and that was the Dallas playoff loss when they ruled Dez Bryant didn't make the reception.

Here's the complete list;

NFL Fourth Quarter Comebacks Career Leaders (since 1960) | Pro-Football-Reference.com

I don't cringe. I laugh.

Anyone who believes that Rodgers is better than Brady is a a drooling idiot.

They're not even in the same ballpark.

Well...every 4 years. :p

Rice being the greatest will always have an asterik after he openly talked about using stickum his whole career.
Yes but so did many others. Just like OL'm would spray sh it on them so it would be tougher to get hands on them .

Have you ever felt one of the gloves WRS use nowadays?

Tainted Joe and Sticky Rice will always be cheaters. They cheated. Its simple. Silicon, Stickum, you name it. They are frauds.

If TB is going to be destroyed for allegedly knowing about cold footballs losing pressure than Sticky and Tainted are going to suffer the same fate.

Tainted Joe and Sticky Rice will always be cheaters. They cheated. Its simple. Silicon, Stickum, you name it. They are frauds.

If TB is going to be destroyed for allegedly knowing about cold footballs losing pressure than Sticky and Tainted are going to suffer the same fate.

Yes but only complete morons believe Brady/Pat's are cheaters. Same for Rice & co.

thumb.gif

Better means "more good" which translates to the same thing (talented). Greatness has always been a "prestige/career" measurement.

Wrong. The gutters are littered with talented failures.
spock.gif

"Talented", in no galaxy, translates to "more good." :rolleyes: You are mistaken.

You said that one was "better" and that the other was "greater".

I'm sorry, but that's an idiotic thing to say, my friend.

Just dump it and move forward, I'd advise.

Last edited:
It’s the same thing as the Gronk vs Gonzo argument. One is an elite level athlete that was so dedicated he perfected his craft at the position to blow by his peers and accumulate all the records and the other was a freak of nature in dominance

Wrong. The gutters are littered with talented failures.

"Talented", in no galaxy, translates to "more good." :rolleyes: You are mistaken.

You said that one was "better" and that the other was "greater".

I'm sorry, but that's an idiotic thing to say, my friend.

Just dump it and move forward, I'd advise.
I'm not going to keep explaining the context of the two words. You and Epically Stupid Andy asked me to explain the difference in the two, and I did. I can't understand it for you. It's a fairly simple concept.

Football fans generally use the words greater and better to mean two different things, you're just an epically stupid person and can't differentiate the two. But that's ok. I did my best.
No football fans do not generally use better and greater to mean 2 different things that’s the exact problem, you made that up for some unknown reason.
But if you want to believe Aaron Rodgers is better than Tom Brady then go ahead and I’ll laugh.

bet·ter1
ˈbedər/
adjective
  1. 1.
    of a more excellent or effective type or quality.
    "hoping for better weather"
    synonyms: superior, finer, of higher quality;More

great
    ɡrāt/
    adjective
    comparative adjective: greater
    1. 1.
      of an extent, amount, or intensity considerably above the normal or average.
      "the article was of great interest"
      synonyms: considerable, substantial, significant, appreciable, special, serious; More
      exceptional, extraordinary
      "they showed great interest"

I'm not going to keep explaining the context of the two words. You and Epically Stupid Andy asked me to explain the difference in the two, and I did. I can't understand it for you. It's a fairly simple concept.
It’s not a simple concept at all. You are misusing words and claiming people who don’t understand the definition you made up are stupid.
As I said your post was epically stupid and you are now flailing in the quicksand

01 ~ A lot'f folks get "more talented" mixed up with "better".

02 ~ Moss was more talented than Rice. Sure.

03 ~ But Rice was the better Player.
Of course.
Moss could have, maybe should have been better than Rice. But he wasn’t.
It’s hard to say the second best WR ever underachieved but when you compare him to Rice, Rice worked him under the table to become a better player.
Coulda, woulda, shoulda doesn’t matter, your body of work on the field is what matters.

No football fans do not generally use better and greater to mean 2 different things that’s the exact problem, you made that up for some unknown reason.
But if you want to believe Aaron Rodgers is better than Tom Brady then go ahead and I’ll laugh.
Yes, football fans generally can differentiate between better and greater. If you ask people "Who's better, Rodgers or Brady?" most people outside of Patsfans.com will probably answer with Rodgers for now, Brady overall. Because better is just (typically; sometimes you have to define the context like I had to do to you, Epically Stupid Andy) a measure of "how good." From a pure throwing perspective and athleticism, Rodgers is probably "better." From an overall career standpoint, Brady is definitely "greater." There's a reason they're called All-Time Greats and not All-Time Bests or All-Time Goods. If you have never heard that in a debate to define why someone is saying what they're saying, it's best to ask, like you did. Then use those standards and make your own conclusions. Not say "lol ur stupid" and piss all over the other person's shoes.

It’s not a simple concept at all. You are misusing words and claiming people who don’t understand the definition you made up are stupid.
As I said your post was epically stupid and you are now flailing in the quicksand
It's not misusing words at all. I've used those exact words in this exact same type of debate before with countless other fans who get the concept. Just because you can't grasp this simple concept doesn't mean I'm stupid. If you'd like, to make it easier, we can arrange a time to discuss this in person so I can draw it out for you with crayons. Maybe that'll help you understand it better Epically Stupid Andy

It’s the same thing as the Gronk vs Gonzo argument. One is an elite level athlete that was so dedicated he perfected his craft at the position to blow by his peers and accumulate all the records and the other was a freak of nature in dominance
Gronk doesn't perfect his craft? If he didn't do that here he would have been released.

It's not misusing words at all. I've used those exact words in this exact same type of debate before with countless other fans who get the concept. Just because you can't grasp this simple concept doesn't mean I'm stupid. If you'd like, to make it easier, we can arrange a time to discuss this in person so I can draw it out for you with crayons. Maybe that'll help you understand it better Epically Stupid Andy
I didn’t say you were stupid I said your post was. I would never call someone stupid on a message board but I will call a post stupid.
Of course you choose to go for personal attacks when someone disagrees with you apparently.

There is nothing to explain. You want to make up definitions or words that don’t exist then lie and say it’s an accepted definition.
There is nothing to explain other than explaining that you misspoke and should have explained what you were trying to say (which evidently is something I agree with, which is that moss had the potential to be better but never realized it) rather than misuse words then act like the person who points out your error is wrong.

Perhaps you should cut back on the caffeine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down