PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: UK Pats Fan Suffering depression

Thanks all for the tremendous amount of support. I would go through and individually reply to you all but I really am lost for words, means a great deal to me and il never be able to repay you for it. With regards to my job I can’t disclose a lot about it because of numerous reasons...

I am so thankful I have you hear so I can just ramble on some pointless crap and people don’t seem to bothered by it, sounds strange I know but makes a world of difference.

I’ve seen my doctor this week already and have been signed off from work with my depression. I’ve also been told to see my doctor regularly due to my depression as she’s worried I could fall back into a painful episode I once had (couldn’t leave the house without being sick!)

I just want to again say thank you for the support and love and care you have shown and given to me.

Being a Pats Fan is not about the bowls and laughing at the jets, and steelers. It’s this sort of family bond that we have here and all share. So thank you to all of you here.

Hopefully one day I will actually be able to make a game out there!

Thank you all once again.

X
I'm no expert or anything on medicine, but consider acupuncture. I get it for a variety of injuries I'm dealing with but, I also get it for depression and it actually helps quite a bit. Those crafty Chinese doctors have it all figured out. Good luck to you friend.

Have you sought help from a professional?
If you are making those comments publicly (albeit anonymously) I strongly suggest you seek care.
Stay strong. Things will get better.

I'm working with our wonderful healthcare system :cool:

I think more people deal with this stuff than they let on, and it might empower someone to hear someone else speak openly.

Have you sought help from a professional?
If you are making those comments publicly (albeit anonymously) I strongly suggest you seek care.
Stay strong. Things will get better.

Hi Andy,

Yeah as I’ve had it on and off for 2 and half years I seen my doc regularly just to make sure I’m okay.

I normally struggle around November and December time of the year.

Hi all,

Admin feel free to delete if not appropriate.

Some of you know me well on here and some of you don’t, I tend to be the positive person on the match day threads and the draft area.

Onto what this is really about...

All honesty I feel like my life is going nowhere expect downhill. No matter how hard I try it feels it’s going no where and I feel my issues and things I’ve raised haven’t been taken into account how I feel. My depression and anxiety has hit me really and I’ve just been signed off work on sick due to my mental health. I feel I am letting my family down, friends and myself. I look forward to every Sunday as that’s when my boys play and I feel happy again, sad isn’t it?

Work life -

I work for the government in the defence industry and I’m finding it very hard to cope with some colleagues and today I got pulled away from my team and was addressed with an unformal warning about what I was saying over Skype for Business. Basically I said I hate my team and find it really hard at times and I don’t like a team member what so ever and how she address me and how she talks to me.

Sorry for such a negative and downhearted post. Just needed somewhere to let this all out.

Thank you for those who have read this really do appreciate it.

You should talk to those friends and family and be flat honest about how you feel. You're never alone in that kind of struggle and you may be surprised to learn that you know someone that has been struggling with the same stuff. You could help one another. But I'm not good with words on this kind of stuff. I don't suffer from depression and/or anxiety so it's harder for me to find a medium with those that do. I did find a video online that has seemed to help a lot of people. I hope you give it a watch...

Hi all,

Some of you know me well on here and some of you don’t, I tend to be the positive person on the match day threads and the draft area.

All honesty I feel like my life is going nowhere expect downhill. No matter how hard I try it feels it’s going no where and I feel my issues and things I’ve raised haven’t been taken into account how I feel. My depression and anxiety has hit me really and I’ve just been signed off work on sick due to my mental health. I feel I am letting my family down, friends and myself. I look forward to every Sunday as that’s when my boys play and I feel happy again, sad isn’t it?

Work life -

I work for the government in the defence industry and I’m finding it very hard to cope with some colleagues and today I got pulled away from my team and was addressed with an unformal warning about what I was saying over Skype for Business. Basically I said I hate my team and find it really hard at times and I don’t like a team member what so ever and how she address me and how she talks to me.

Sorry for such a negative and downhearted post. Just needed somewhere to let this all out.

Stay strong, fellow Patriot fan.

I'm not a mental health professional so I can't give you advice on coping with negative feeling. If you're being pushed around or unappreciated at work, the only effective solution for that is leverage, which usually means being able to leave for another company.

I'm working with our wonderful healthcare system :cool:

I think more people deal with this stuff than they let on, and it might empower someone to hear someone else speak openly.
Absolutely. Regardless of how enlightened we become stigmas die hard. It’s a real shame.

It sounds as if you haven’t had a great experience in the health care system.
My advice (based upon observing a close one go through the process) is to make sure you are dealing with the right individual for you. I’ve found that they have a method (coddling, prejudging, challenging, or relating to what they like to diagnose) that doesn’t work for everyone. One if your health care rights is to chose a provider who fits with you and what you need and like any profession there are good ones, bad ones, stubborn ones, perceptive ones, etc etc.

Keep up the fight!!!!

Hi Andy,

Yeah as I’ve had it on and off for 2 and half years I seen my doc regularly just to make sure I’m okay.

I normally struggle around November and December time of the year.
Maybe try changing up what you do this time of year. I’ve always found that family traditions are a great thing. Maybe start a couple. It’s a little late since Xmas is less than a week away but I started a tradition with my girlfriend of Birthday Week. I give her a small gift (but one she will be happy to get like candy or flowers etc) every day of the week leading up the her birthday.
You could try Christmas week and have a gift at dinner time every night. It turns into a great anticipation and puts everyone in a good mood for a week.
That’s one idea but try to find a way to find yourself in a happy situation as often as possible.
Maybe that would help.

And also as I said in the previous post if you are seeing a professional make sure it’s the right one for you, and don’t be afraid to walk away and try a new one if it’s not clicking.

Bath/Bristol area

You are not alone and can conquer anything. K2 Bristol

This group is for singles, but if youre married I surmise that they can point you in the right direction. You cant lose with this guy on your side.

There are a lot of ways the internet has made isolation and depression so much worse. I am sorry about your current state. Try to do things to increase your energy ( exercise, a creative hobby) and try to limit or eliminate practices/habits that reduce or drain your energy. All the best to you.

As someone that has battled depression a couple times in my life, what helped me tremendously was trying to never turn down an invitation to go have fun. When you're down, it's incredibly easy to come up with any excuse possible to just stay at home. But a buddy would invite me over for MNF or my cousin would invite me to the movies and while sometimes it was a struggle to say yes, I always returned home feeling so much better. And in time I was better.

And as others have said, find someone to talk to, even if it isn't a professional. I brought up my struggles to a co-worker at one point and she listened, she related, she cared and a 30 minute conversation changed my life.

Hi all,

Work life -

Thanks for sharing. You actually do a world of good for others by doing so - so take heart from that at the very least!

And sometimes it helps just to write it out - or to say it out loud - which is why more people should consider good routine counseling/therapy sessions.

But overall, your version of "depression" is pretty common in our Culture. And with good reason.

Most people have this underlying feeling that this "way we live" isn't healthy or sustainable, although for most it's a subconscious feeling that things aren't "right" and we've got a helluva mess on our hands now and into the future.

You/they/we/I - aren't wrong.

Bear in mind we're in the midst (or perhaps, near the end) of a 10,000 year long cultural tangent.

We as humans - just as "intelligent" then as we are today - lived very successfully, sustainably, with what archaeologists have discovered was a pretty high quality of life, despite our CURRENT Culture's slandering of Mankind's previous 100,000 years of living sustainably, as "cave men"

There ARE other ways of living - there ARE ways of breaking out of the rat race - or as a first step, just recognizing the scope of the rat race we're in, just to remind yourself that "no - you're not crazy" for feeling strongly that something ain't right with the direction our culture and species are taking

A good simple, thought provoking read (that actually dates back 25 years now) on these notions - should any of them resonate with you.

Ishmael (novel) - Wikipedia

All that being said, sometimes we do have to suck it up and play the current "game" by the rules this warped "Culture" sets. But that's much more tolerable if one can see the bigger picture while hoping the Human Race can collectively "evolve"

If you're in the mood for a movie that hits on some of these themes, rent Tom Shadyac's "I Am" movie. In some ways it's tough to watch but it's a great reminder of what's wrong with this world (i.e the title "I Am") but also what's RIGHT with this world (i.e. the title "I Am")

It's done in an entertaining way by the director of "Ace Ventura" no less!

Any who - that's just my "take" on what you've expressed as I feel it myself and hear it among so many others. Good luck!

@Snooky97

This thread is like a living Christmas/Holiday card without the dread of a terrible gift card attached inside instead of ca$h.

Totally upped my spirits (and I hope yours) with all the good thoughts and brother/sisterhood going your way. I sometimes forget that we're all not effin know-it-alls and have deep goodness inside of us besides love of all that is Patriots.

In time of need this is a great place to be.

Peace be with you.

Fish oil, exercise, prozac, probiotics. That's my recommendation. Find a social outlet, don't let yourself dwell in negative thoughts. Winter is tough due to the lack of sunlight. There's even a term for it "seasonal affective disorder", acronym " SAD"!

A farmer working in his fields sees his young son running across the field with a roll of duct tape.

"Where you going boy with that duct tape?"

"To catch some ducks"

"Boy you can't catch ducks with duct tape"

"Sure you can pa.....that's what it's for"

His son runs off and an hour later the boy came back with a crap load of ducks wrapped up in duct tape.

"Well I'll be damned.....how did he do that?", thought the Farmer.

The next day the farmer was out working in the fields again and he sees his son running across the field with a bunch of chicken wire.

"Where you going boy with that chicken wire?"

"To catch some chickens"

"Boy that's not what chicken wire is for"

"Sure it is pa.....that's why they call it chicken wire"

His son runs off and an hour later the boy came back with a crap load of chickens wrapped up in the chicken wire.

"Well I'll be double damned...how did he do that?", thought the farmer.

The next day the farmer was out working in the fields again and he sees his son running across the field with a bunch of ****y willows.

"Boy where you......ahhh....nevermind.....I'm coming with you" :D

Happy Holidays.

But overall, your version of "depression" is pretty common in our Culture. And with good reason.

Most people have this underlying feeling that this "way we live" isn't healthy or sustainable, although for most it's a subconscious feeling that things aren't "right" and we've got a helluva mess on our hands now and into the future.

You/they/we/I - aren't wrong.

Bear in mind we're in the midst (or perhaps, near the end) of a 10,000 year long cultural tangent.

We as humans - just as "intelligent" then as we are today - lived very successfully, sustainably, with what archaeologists have discovered was a pretty high quality of life, despite our CURRENT Culture's slandering of Mankind's previous 100,000 years of living sustainably, as "cave men"

There ARE other ways of living - there ARE ways of breaking out of the rat race - or as a first step, just recognizing the scope of the rat race we're in, just to remind yourself that "no - you're not crazy" for feeling strongly that something ain't right with the direction our culture and species are taking

Wow Joe, I never would have thought I see words like this here, and they are appreciated. This topic is the cause of most of my personal stress and despair. My work has me fully aware, every day, of the damage we are doing to this amazing planet, and the likelihood that we already over the edge and just not aware of it. We are coming up on a massive reset of civilization, and it isn't going to be pretty...although it will in all likelihood force us back into an economic era much like that of 10,000 years ago, so perhaps those left will find some of the simple happiness that is so difficult to find now, and which, as you point out, is one of the root causes of the depressions that are so common.

Snooky, Kenneth, Froob, Patsboy...everyone who has expressed some distress here, past or present, thank you for your courage. It is a valuable form of leadership. Asking for help almost always helps others.

And to all of us, let's try and keep this in mind as we argue vehemently over relatively inconsequential football issues, like whether the Pats should keep that special teams guy on the roster next year. You never know who is on the receiving end of a comment and how it penetrates.

Last edited:
Hey Snooky...Happy Holidays ,brother! You're never alone here at Pats fans. I'd like to offer up this little scene that illustrates MY particular depressive condition...I'm exactly like Johnny Boy in this clip....hope this brings a chuckle or two...:D

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back