PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Two bits of Good News on Good Friday... (happy Easter!)

'Good Friday' comes from the obsolete sense 'pious, holy' of the word "good". Less common examples of expressions based on this obsolete sense of "good" include "the good book" for the Bible, "good tide" for "Christmas" or Shrovetide, and Good Wednesday for the Wednesday in Holy Week.

...ya heathen. ;)

If only god was real and not a fairy tale from an oral tradition that was a mishmash of even older oral traditions that someone put into a book when writing became a thing. I think I'll be alright.
yeah...I think everyone should read the REAL truth....THIS would be a great start...

51V-Q6gWk5L._SX361_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

If only god was real and not a fairy tale from an oral tradition that was a mishmash of even older oral traditions that someone put into a book when writing became a thing. I think I'll be alright.

Regardless of the belief system, I think it is a good thing when a poster posts about something in their belief system that brings them joy. This would be a better place if we just celebrated their happiness.

Plus, the traditions of which you speak link Easter to a simple celebration of Spring, and the renewal of life. I'm good with that, regardless of how someone wants to contextualize it.

I'm also good with humor like what @fnordcircle posted. There's an even better one of him commenting on how cruel and sick we are for littering the planet with the cross on which we killed him - "WTF is wrong with you people?"

I love Chinese dumplings. Fried or steamed.

Funny story for you. While I was installing a machine in Taiwan the head engineer took me to a famous Dumpling restaurant. By the way, seemingly every restaurant in Asia is famous for something. Anyway we're chatting away and I point to a large beautiful painting on the wall of a waterfall and he says, "poo poo". I said, "what? That's really nice.". He then explains that the word in Chinese for waterfall is Poo book. (Not a typo. The second "poo" has more of a B sound.)

Hence the pu pu platter in our Chinese restaurants. A waterfall of food.

By the way, I was laughed at by a five year old little girl because she could use her chopsticks better than I could. Haha
Last Thanksgiving I watched my DIL eating corn with her chopsticks. She'd pick up a kernel at a time in rapid succession and then eat them. It was cute to see.

Today she's making tea eggs, which are eggs boiled in tea and bay leaves. After the eggs are cooked you crack the shell a little and let them sit in the tea before you eat them. I hear that they're yummy.

Last Thanksgiving I watched my DIL eating corn with her chopsticks. She'd pick up a kernel at a time in rapid succession and then eat them. It was cute to see.

Today she's making tea eggs, which are eggs boiled in tea and bay leaves. After the eggs are cooked you crack the shell a little and let them sit in the tea before you eat them. I hear that they're yummy.

7-11 stores are huge in Asia. There seems to be one every couple of blocks or so. Every one of them has a kind of hot served egg station. The eggs are soaking in some kind of dark liquid. I always assumed it was soy sauce but maybe it was tea. I never tried them or the chicken feet. Now I'm curious. I'll have to ask my ex.

7-11 stores are huge in Asia. There seems to be one every couple of blocks or so. Every one of them has a kind of hot served egg station. The eggs are soaking in some kind of dark liquid. I always assumed it was soy sauce but maybe it was tea. I never tried them or the chicken feet. Now I'm curious. I'll have to ask my ex.
Actually, there might be soy sauce also. I haven't had them yet. I've only seen pictures of those she made, but she calls them tea eggs.

From what my son has told me, each region in China has their own style of cooking. She's from Beijing.

Regardless of the belief system, I think it is a good thing when a poster posts about something in their belief system that brings them joy. This would be a better place if we just celebrated their happiness.

Plus, the traditions of which you speak link Easter to a simple celebration of Spring, and the renewal of life. I'm good with that, regardless of how someone wants to contextualize it.

I'm also good with humor like what @fnordcircle posted. There's an even better one of him commenting on how cruel and sick we are for littering the planet with the cross on which we killed him - "WTF is wrong with you people?"
I remember having discussions with my young children about religion because they were being programmed against it in school. I always taught them that they didn't have to be religious (we weren't really) but there was nothing wrong with having beliefs that made you a better person. I've known quite a few people over the years who had issues that were corrected due to faith.

I remember having discussions with my young children about religion because they were being programmed against it in school. I always taught them that they didn't have to be religious (we weren't really) but there was nothing wrong with having beliefs that made you a better person. I've known quite a few people over the years who had issues that were corrected due to faith.

Places of worship play an important role, and we are suffering as they lose their influence and we don't have a replacement for yet. Getting together with a community once a week to celebrate life and love, focus on the poor and those who are suffering, and experience and grow empathy is pretty essential to human societies.

I hadn't been back to my church since last September--it felt good! Glad for you, Ashley!

You're right. They do have soy sauce also.
I also talked to them about the 7-11's. They agree that they're everywhere and they called them seven one one in Chinese.

Went to my sister's for the 1st family party in a while. So nice to see everyone! We are Irish and not good cooks, so my sister usually orders up some good Italian food and we bring side dishes and dessert. I made green bean casserole because it's my Dad's absolute favorite at any holiday meal and he is 88, so he gets what he wants! I hope everyone had a wonderful and blessed holiday (and holiday week for those who celebrate Passover).

'Good Friday' comes from the obsolete sense 'pious, holy' of the word "good". Less common examples of expressions based on this obsolete sense of "good" include "the good book" for the Bible, "good tide" for "Christmas" or Shrovetide, and Good Wednesday for the Wednesday in Holy Week.

...ya heathen. ;)
Also good times. As in the time me and a fellow teenage delinquent smoked a joint in our empty Catholic Church. We thought we were tough guys but when we were about to leave both of us were legit scared of a lightning bolt being tossed at us from above. "You go first." "No you".

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
Back