PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Should the 49ers consider firing Shanahan for Belichick?

In both cases you have to possess the ball. He never did it because it was bouncing.
If you're focused on BOTH recovering the fumble AND running after, you compromise the former.

If you're 100% focused on recovering the fumble, then you attempt to recover while using your whole body to cradle it as you go for possession.

Not a guarantee that you recover either way, but a much better change to recover, when, again, you're 100% focused ON THE RECOVERY.

That's not what he did. He tried to pick it up on the run. Get it now? LOL

The odds are still greatest that one team will score more points than the other on the first two possession.

I'd like to see the analysis that gets to that conclusion. Not saying you are wrong. As the teachers used to say, "show your work." Does that data set and analysis exist anywhere?

Like I said: SF lost because they failed to execute, not because of their choice when they won the coin flip. Taking the ball is best strategy because it guarantees you will have at least as many possessions as the other team, but also you could have more.

I never said they lost because of the coin flip. I said they made the wrong choice because it gave the Chiefs an advantage. You still have to play the game.

I never said they lost because of the coin flip.
I never said you did.
I said they made the wrong choice because it gave the Chiefs an advantage. You still have to play the game.
2 equal teams playing it out 1,000 times and the team who received first wins more often than not.

I'd like to see the analysis that gets to that conclusion. Not saying you are wrong. As the teachers used to say, "show your work." Does that data set and analysis exist anywhere?

Shanahan admitted his analytics department said the odds says that kicking the ball with the new rules gives you the greater odds of winning, but he went with his gut because he thought it was a field goal game.

Jimmy G looks average outside of Kyle's system. Purdy would be a backup elsewhere. Both times he got beat by a team with a superior QB making plays at the end of the game. Jimmy had a chance to win the game but he couldn't make the throws, same with Purdy.

For a team blessed with watching Brady make critical throws to win us SBs, I see a lot of posts dismissing Shanny's QBs crapping the bed when it mattered.

No you don't fire him lol.

I mean, the biggest turning point was the TO on the punt, which was 100% an unlucky break for the 9ers with the ball hitting a guy on the foot which led to the only TD KC scored in regular time. Until that point, the Chiefs were held to two fgs w/ the 9ers about to get the ball w/ 2:42 left in the 3rd.

Sometimes lady luck isn't on your side, and she seems to hate Shannahan.

Yeah you need to be extremely lucky to be a Superbowl Champion the Chiefs have been fortunate during their run as were we. Credit to them though for taking advantage of the opportunities given to them.

Jimmy G looks average outside of Kyle's system. Purdy would be a backup elsewhere. Both times he got beat by a team with a superior QB making plays at the end of the game. Jimmy had a chance to win the game but he couldn't make the throws, same with Purdy.

For a team blessed with watching Brady make critical throws to win us SBs, I see a lot of posts dismissing Shanny's QBs crapping the bed when it mattered.

No you don't fire him lol.
Jimmy G crapped the bed in SB 54 in the 4th quarter, that’s definitely true. When did Purdy crap the bed in this game?

Jimmy G crapped the bed in SB 54 in the 4th quarter, that’s definitely true. When did Purdy crap the bed in this game?

I remember them posting a graphic that in the second and third quarters, Purdy completed 4 passes for 17 yards combined.

Purdy didn't crap the bed. Took care of the ball. Every time he stepped off the field, he had the lead. It was his inexperience that got him, which honestly going up against Spags, is to be expected. Even Brady had a tough time against Spags defenses. Purdy will learn and grow from this experience. He played well given the amount of pressure.

Looking back at the quotes, I really believe the 49ers thought that OT were still going by regular season rules. Where if a team gets first possession and scores TD, they win. Which means, there is a good chance they would have been celebrating like they won the game with a TD.

Kick the ball away and you know what your offense has to do. Furthermore, by settling for a FG, you limited your possession to three downs while giving KC four downs.

Once they got to fourth down in OT, they should have come up with whatever their best trick play was. Go for the TD. Go for two point conversion too. There's a higher chance Mahomes gets a TD than your D stopping them with four downs.

Shanahan admitted his analytics department said the odds says that kicking the ball with the new rules gives you the greater odds of winning, but he went with his gut because he thought it was a field goal game.
uhhhhhhhhhhhh, no. No he did not say that. What he said was he went with both his gut and the analytics.

Shanahan then reiterated that he'd already prepared for the scenario before the game with the club's analytics department, which preferred the idea of having the ball third should the two teams still be tied after their initial possessions.

"I take into account what they [analytics] say, what they think is right, and I go off my gut in the heat of battle," he said. "I felt like what type of game it was did match what they felt was the best way to do. It did seem more like a field goal game."

"Seemed like a fg game" isn't the way you should ever think with an elite QB on the other sideline.

I still think he didn't know the rules and is trying to cover up now.

On the 49ers board, most want him fired and Belichick hired.

"Seemed like a fg game" isn't the way you should ever think with an elite QB on the other sideline.

I still think he didn't know the rules and is trying to cover up now.

On the 49ers board, most want him fired and Belichick hired.
It was 100% a fg game through 4 qtrs.

You're a ****ing moron if you think Shannahan didn't know the rules. Go hang out at Chefs Planetoid with that dumb ****.

uhhhhhhhhhhhh, no. No he did not say that. What he said was he went with both his gut and the analytics.

Shanahan then reiterated that he'd already prepared for the scenario before the game with the club's analytics department, which preferred the idea of having the ball third should the two teams still be tied after their initial possessions.

"I take into account what they [analytics] say, what they think is right, and I go off my gut in the heat of battle," he said. "I felt like what type of game it was did match what they felt was the best way to do. It did seem more like a field goal game."

I admit I heard it on the radio and misheard what he said.

But I did find actual stats that basically there is basically a negligible difference which way to go. In some situations, it is slightly better to have the first possession and and others that it is better to have the second possession, but it is almost 50-50.

Cont.

Here is an informal poll of ESPN analytics experts. Kinda went 50-50.

I do know one thing; Bill would have known the OT rule changes.

Looking back at the quotes, I really believe the 49ers thought that OT were still going by regular season rules. Where if a team gets first possession and scores TD, they win. Which means, there is a good chance they would have been celebrating like they won the game with a TD.

Kick the ball away and you know what your offense has to do. Furthermore, by settling for a FG, you limited your possession to three downs while giving KC four downs.

Once they got to fourth down in OT, they should have come up with whatever their best trick play was. Go for the TD. Go for two point conversion too. There's a higher chance Mahomes gets a TD than your D stopping them with four downs.
That would have been extremely entertaining to see.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back