PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT - roughing the passer

Status
Not open for further replies.

SacPete1

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
The hit by Browner certainly generated a lot of discussion and heated debates here but how about this one:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...uli-got-49ers-roughing-the-passer-call-wrong/

I mean, can you imagine if this was Chandler Jones hitting Manning in the AFC championship game???
Ian would need to deploy a new server farm.

It's very clear that refs are making calls based on the result (head movement, violence of the collision, etc.) and not the action because they are asked to make a call on an act that happens in an instant and the difference between legal and illegal is razor thin. Not to mention the fact the Hochulli could not have been able to determine that the crown of the helmet was lead based on his view.

If this doesn't promote a change in the offseason that subjects these plays (unnecessary roughness) to replay given how difficult it is to make the call initially, I don't know what will.

FWIW, Dean Blandino essentially said that Ed Hochuli got a roughing the passer call wrong in the SF-Seattle game that was not that dissimilar to the Browner hit:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...uli-got-49ers-roughing-the-passer-call-wrong/

Here's an article with an embedded GIF of the play:

http://www.ninersnation.com/2014/12...lled-for-horrible-roughing-the-passer-penalty

Mike Pereira also sait it wasn't a foul:

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/...-hochuli-mike-pereira-rough-the-passer-121414

The obvious difference between that and the Browner hit was that contact was clearly made lower down, in the chest area, whereas Browner's facemask came up against the neck area.

Thanks the for the summary Mayo. I guess I should have explained it like you instead of forcing users to read something from that ambulance chaser's site.

I had money on the Seahawks so it helped me, but I can admit that was a ridiculous call

I feel for the officials a little as clearly there is misalignment with the league's definition of RtP/leading w/ the crown of the helmet and what the refs actually understand the rule to be.

Some of these calls are outrageous and has affected games. The Sea/SF call was awful and really affected every team in the NFC. That play would have resulted in a punt not a TD. If SF wins they are in the hunt, Arizona pretty much clinches the division and Seattle is now in a playoff race. We had the Browner penalty, i watched the Cin/Cle game and there was an awful call on a Dalton hit. Bad calls happen, but come on, let the players play.

I think the reason they threw the flag on the SF one was because the crown of his helmet hit the chest of the QB and was driven into him. I'm not sure why they thought that was a foul but that seemed to be their position based on what they had said.

I had thought this rule was more a defenseless receiver style rule where you had to make contact with the neck or helmet but I haven't read it recently so I'm just going to believe Pereira.

Hochuli says he had to distinguish between the hairline and the facemask making contact.
There is just no way you can get that call right consistently if that is where the line is drawn.
They are ruining the game, but are doing it in the name of player safety.
I think if they liberalized the rules, and a player ended up paralyzed or worse, the outcry would be bigger than a bad flag. NFL is in a very difficult position on this.

I think the reason they threw the flag on the SF one was because the crown of his helmet hit the chest of the QB and was driven into him. I'm not sure why they thought that was a foul but that seemed to be their position based on what they had said.

I had thought this rule was more a defenseless receiver style rule where you had to make contact with the neck or helmet but I haven't read it recently so I'm just going to believe Pereira.

Leading with the crown of the helmet IS a foul when hitting the QB, but that wasn't the case with Moody's hit, where he initiated contact with his face against Wilson's chest. The impact is going to cause some movement, but it's supposed to be a question of intentionally initiating contact with the crown. The ref in this case was partially screened from having the best view of the play.

There was another egregious call in the Steelers Atlanta game. Textbook sack and he draws a foul. WTF?

It was a travesty and the league should be on notice. I can understand - even for solely litigious reasons - wanting to limit concussions and overly traumatic contact. And the funny thing is, they've accomplished their goal; defensive players are far more under control and the amount of H2H contact, spearing and the like has lessened dramatically.

You've won. Now back the f*ck off.

bad call IMO

the guy had his head up........it was textbook, though you'll probably hear Blandino say that it should have been called a late hit so any flag is a good flag in that instance

garbage call with garbage follow ups

This and the Browner hit are exactly why a red flag should be able to be thrown as soon as a wrong yellow one is.

Lmao why was my post disliked? Man up and quote me if you disagree with something I said.

Lmao why was my post disliked? Man up and quote me if you disagree with something I said.
I'm guessing one of the two disliked it because the post mentioned the unclean act of gambling.

If BB thought Browner's hits were all the egregious, he would not have played every snap yesterday.. that is not the way this team operates.

The "penalty" last week was a sham..

Instead of more replays add two more refs and make them confer more than they do now.

There was another egregious call in the Steelers Atlanta game. Textbook sack and he draws a foul. WTF?
Egregious is a great word. It may have been "launching" in that case, ie leaving your feet. Not sure why that is so much worse than just running through someone.

If BB thought Browner's hits were all the egregious, he would not have played every snap yesterday.. that is not the way this team operates.

The "penalty" last week was a sham..

Instead of more replays add two more refs and make them confer more than they do now.

A penalty was correct, the called one was a sham, but in all honestly, what is Browner supposed to do? Watch the catch get completed before reacting?

BB won't penalize Browner's playing time because he is playing football. He just isn't allowed to get away with anything because he has a reputation.

I hate that big hits are automatic flags, its making the game less fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots