PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT - roughing the passer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Egregious is a great word. It may have been "launching" in that case, ie leaving your feet. Not sure why that is so much worse than just running through someone.

The NFL has no consistency which is why they're under so much fire recently. And I don't just mean its policies, its rules are also inconsistent.

will the refs or the league do something about all these flags throw for Illegal "touching" on the D..5 yards...auto first down.

Even collinsworth who i am beginning to like and Al last night both said it. They are getting pretty sick of players not being able to play the game

If BB thought Browner's hits were all the egregious, he would not have played every snap yesterday.. that is not the way this team operates.

The "penalty" last week was a sham..

But it will certainly make receivers think twice when going over the middle, maybe get alligator arms or hesitate before extending themselves lest they get a Browneresque LEGAL hit...

will the refs or the league do something about all these flags throw for Illegal "touching" on the D..5 yards...auto first down.

Even collinsworth who i am beginning to like and Al last night both said it. They are getting pretty sick of players not being able to play the game

Agreed, especially if it doesn't affect the play. There was a 3rd and long in the Dallas game last night where Romo pretty much got sacked right away and they called a chincey D. Holding. If it doesn't affect the play, let it go please.

Bad call, hochuli is a tool.

Brings me to something I always wanted to say. If you commit a penalty, but don't get called, that's a great play. You're doing something right.

If you keep getting called for penalties you didn't commit,it's your fault. you look herky jerky or in some way like you committed a penalty.

That's why smooth defenders are worth their weight in gold, sneaky ones too (not dirty). Ellis Hobbs would get called for penalties when he didn't touch the receiver because he had his arms flailing around and looked like he was comitting a penalty. Browner needs to sit down with Revis and learn how to control your man while looking like you aren't committing penalties. Reputation aside, Revis is so smooth he gets away with murder and it's great for us.

Bad call, hochuli is a tool.

Brings me to something I always wanted to say. If you commit a penalty, but don't get called, that's a great play. You're doing something right.

If you keep getting called for penalties you didn't commit,it's your fault. you look herky jerky or in some way like you committed a penalty.

That's why smooth defenders are worth their weight in gold, sneaky ones too (not dirty). Ellis Hobbs would get called for penalties when he didn't touch the receiver because he had his arms flailing around and looked like he was comitting a penalty. Browner needs to sit down with Revis and learn how to control your man while looking like you aren't committing penalties. Reputation aside, Revis is so smooth he gets away with murder and it's great for us.
And this is why officials are worth their weight in excrement.

Honestly though it's more of a problem with the NFL rewriting the rules without actually rewriting the rules. If you hit a QB or WR hard you're most likely getting a flag regardless. That appears to be what's desired.

I still think the roughing the passer call week against the Dolphins one was the worst I've seen all season.

Amazingly, the NFL has already announced that the call in the SF game was wrong. Pretty much too late for the Niners though.

http://deadspin.com/nfl-admits-roughing-the-passer-call-on-49ers-was-wrong-1671211327

I have no dog in that fight. Respect both teams and the rivalry, but that's the second straight game the 49ers head up to Seattle and the refs change the outcome of the game with a terrible call. The Navaro Bowman Int that was called back (why I don't know) in the NFC championship game last year. The play where Bowman broke his leg, and then this Sunday. If I was a 49er fan I'd be livid.

Nothing against Seattle, but heading up to Century Link field is starting to become the NFL equivalent of NHL teams heading to the Bell Center in Montreal....

Well the good news is the chances of Hochuli reffing a meaningful game in the post season is gone and a benefit to all teams.

I'm guessing one of the two disliked it because the post mentioned the unclean act of gambling.

I bet that you're right... oh, wait, that's not what I meant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes