PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Revis says the Jets should treat him with class

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am thankful for the year he played for the Patriots. He also mentored Malcom Butler. Regarding his future, maybe he can start a coaching career with the Bills. ;) The three dollar kind or the Bufallo kind - it does not matter.

I thought Revis spelled classy ",000,000"

I think Revis would still be an effective safety. His speed isn't what it once was but his instincts are still second to none and he IS a film rat. Plus he wouldn't find himself in trail at safety as often as he does at CB. He would also be tasted to covering TE's and backs more than speedy and shiftier WR's. Would he be better than Harmon or Chung? Impossible to say right now. Just pointing out that I think he could play the position. As for CB? He's been a dumpster fire but moving him to nickel corner may help with some of his athletic shortcomings. But, as I said, the contract is much too rich for either of those roles.

I think Revis would look as bad as Chung manning the deep safety.
So you move Revis down into the box like Chung, but Revis in the box tackling as his body is breaking down? Doesn't sound like a good idea. Revis covering tight ends? Maybe? But does he want to tackle them when they catch the ball over his head? Does he want to engage his blocker when the tight end blocks him? His body is breaking down. So I don't see how he can play a more physical position. Revis is done. He won't be able to make the transition in my opinion.

Revis could use his instincts like you said, so maybe a touch better than Chung manning the deep safety. But if that's all Revis is good for I'd rather have Harmon over Revis.

That being said. if Revis is willing to take a vet minimum with no guaranteed money(if possible) to see what he can do and if he can help the team. The mercenary is welcome to come to the Pats.

Interestingly enough (at least to me), the major difference between the NYJ and NEP offers was that the Jets were willing to put guaranteed cash into the 3rd year and the Pats weren't. That third year is next year. Therefore the Pats would have gotten a decent 2015 and a sub-par 2016 out of Mevis (and perhaps more due to peer pressure and/or better management of his decline) whereas the Jets are gonna be out of pocket for 2017 no matter what. The Jets Suck!

Not true really. If Revis plays for another team next season, any money he makes in 2017 comes off the 6mil guaranteed by the Jets.

If he signs a 5mil deal with some other team... Jets only shell out 1mil.

Even better, signing bonuses count. So if some team gives him a 3 year 15mil deal, with a 6mil signing bonus. Then the salary is broken apart like 1mil first year and 4mil the remaining two years, the Jets owe nothing. And that type of deal is very possible for a team looking to save against the cap in 2017.

Basically worst case, the Jets are on the hook for 6mil if Revis gets cut and then retires. Most likely though, it'll be a minimal hit if any at all. Or they'll come to a new deal that works for both sides.

For all the talk of how dumb a deal it was, it was actually pretty slick on the Jets' part.

Last edited:
Not true really. If Revis plays for another team next season, any money he makes in 2017 comes off the 6mil guaranteed by the Jets.

If he signs a 5mil deal with some other team... Jets only shell out 1mil.

Even better, signing bonuses count. So if some team gives him a 3 year 15mil deal, with a 6mil signing bonus. Then the salary is broken apart like 1mil first year and 4mil the remaining two years, the Jets owe nothing. And that type of deal is very possible for a team looking to save against the cap in 2017.

Basically worst case, the Jets are on the hook for 6mil if Revis gets cut and then retires. Most likely though, it'll be a minimal hit if any at all. Or they'll come to a new deal that works for both sides.

For all the talk of how dumb a deal it was, it was actually pretty slick on the Jets' part.

There's nothing slick about it. They've got an aging player who routinely misses games and tells the press his body is breaking down whilst having so much money in the bank he has no need to push himself. The odds strongly favor him retiring instead of taking the kind of pay cut he'd need to stay in the league and continue to punish his poor old body, and if he does take a vet min kind of deal the Jets don't get the payroll relief you're suggesting they'll get.

Put another way, why do you think he's begging the Jets to be "classy" and to continue to overpay him? Precisely because the right thing to do is cut him and throw him to the wolves, and he knows it.

I think Revis would look as bad as Chung manning the deep safety.
So you move Revis down into the box like Chung, but Revis in the box tackling as his body is breaking down? Doesn't sound like a good idea. Revis covering tight ends? Maybe? But does he want to tackle them when they catch the ball over his head? Does he want to engage his blocker when the tight end blocks him? His body is breaking down. So I don't see how he can play a more physical position. Revis is done. He won't be able to make the transition in my opinion.

Revis could use his instincts like you said, so maybe a touch better than Chung manning the deep safety. But if that's all Revis is good for I'd rather have Harmon over Revis.

That being said. if Revis is willing to take a vet minimum with no guaranteed money(if possible) to see what he can do and if he can help the team. The mercenary is welcome to come to the Pats.

He can tackle, but I don't see him like Chung. I see him like Harmon.

Revis' biggest problem is hes lost his elite straightline speed and twitchiness. Guys like Lott, Rod and Charles Woodson were still damn good FSs because they still had the straightline speed, but lost the elite twitchiness.

I'm with you. I'm not sure Revis can handle FS and he doesn't have the physical endurance to handle SS-type punishment.

He very well might be done.

There's nothing slick about it. They've got an aging player who routinely misses games and tells the press his body is breaking down whilst having so much money in the bank he has no need to push himself. The odds strongly favor him retiring instead of taking the kind of pay cut he'd need to stay in the league and continue to punish his poor old body, and if he does take a vet min kind of deal the Jets don't get the payroll relief you're suggesting they'll get.

Put another way, why do you think he's begging the Jets to be "classy" and to continue to overpay him? Precisely because the right thing to do is cut him and throw him to the wolves, and he knows it.

We'll see how it turns out. Even the worst case isn't that bad. It's not ideal losing 6mil but many made it seem as though we were on the hook for 15mil+.

I'd still bet they redo a deal that makes sense for both sides or he plays somewhere else though.

When all is said and done though, Macc is gonna have some decent cap to work with this offseason.

Last edited:
We'll see how it turns out. Even the worst case isn't that bad. It's not ideal losing 6mil but many made it seem as though we we on the hook for 15mil+.

I'd still bet they redo a deal that makes sense for both sides or he plays somewhere else though.

When all is said and done though, Macc is gonna have some decent cap to work with this offseason.

And still find a way to f&ck it up.

I do ! Is he still posting on a Jet forum nowadays ?

I doubt it. I forget how far back I abandoned USENET sports newsgroups.
Gotta confess I used to love posting in the Jets and especially the Bills groups back then.
Many Bills fans could not deal with Flutie's winning ways vs their idol Rob Johnson the tackling dummy. Their idea of winning a QB debate was to chant but "He's Tall With A Strong Arm"

Count me in as an old usenet geezer who read the Pats news group (but never posted) back in the days of Toll Booth Bob and that Pats fan named Ken.
Many Bills fans could not deal with Flutie's winning ways vs their idol Rob Johnson the tackling dummy. Their idea of winning a QB debate was to chant but "He's Tall With A Strong Arm"
They must have creamed their jeans when Drew came to town!

We'll see how it turns out. Even the worst case isn't that bad. It's not ideal losing 6mil but many made it seem as though we were on the hook for 15mil+.

A little cap room with few holes to fill > Decent cap room with a lot of holes to fill

remember when BB destroyed the patriots when he didnt pay revis 17million??? at least thats what the mediots all were crying about when BB didnt resign him

Ahhh, Revis Island.

The once forbidden place of doom has now become a peninsula where anyone can simply drive, cycle or even walk right out on for a relaxing time of leisure.

Ahhh, Revis Island.

The once forbidden place of doom has now become a peninsula where anyone can simply drive, cycle or even walk right out on for a relaxing time of leisure.

A misquote from Yogi Berra seems appropriate here...

"No one goes to Revis Island anymore, it's too crowded."

Ahhh, Revis Island.

Bound to end at some point. Was never the same after the injury. Did well in NE, but never hit that truly elite (GOAT) form he had for like 3 to 4 years.

Takes a rare combination of drive, work ethic, athleticism and brains to do what he did. Inevitably the athleticism, and most likely drive too, fell off.

If you're creating a best of all time for one game team, Revis in his prime is one of the CBs. Now, after this season, he wouldn't even be the #1 on most teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes