PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Rams winning it all will changes how to build a Team?

My hope is that a few more teams decide they don't value picks as much as proven talent. While it works on occasion, the teams often only compete for a season or two and then retreat for much longer. I don't think the Rams have staying power and I'm not convinced this group will ever get back to the SB. In fact, I'd predict "that was it" for them.

Nothing wrong with that : they got the job done and achieved the goal. SBs are difficult to get to / win.

THe draft is still the best way to build a team. Desperate teams like the Bucs and Rams load up on talent so they can win it all to give their fanbase something. The Rams are still going to be in contention for a while though.

They both won though. Now they both will have some down years after. And in the rams case no picks to replenish the cupboard.

That's the benefit of the draft. Cheap talent. It's why the Seahawks never won once Wilson got his big contract and now KC is taking a step back.

He’s come out and said he wants to leave coaching to raise a family.
Or more likely "I don't want to have to deal with the rebuild, I'll see you in a few years"

Or more likely "I don't want to have to deal with the rebuild, I'll see you in a few years"
Rumor is he wants to take the madden path and go into broadcasting.

The biggest myth about how the Rams are doing it is they trade away all their draft picks, only one other team has drafted more players than the Rams since McVay has been with the Rams, they just don’t use their first round picks.
There's nothing unusual about trading away picks for proven talent it's just the Rams have been highly visible traders these past few years.

He’s come out and said he wants to leave coaching to raise a family.
I say everyday ill quit smoking and drinking

There's nothing unusual about trading away picks for proven talent it's just the Rams have been highly visible traders these past few years.
I agree, my point wasn’t that it’s unusual, it was a lot of the media and others keep talking about the Rams are doing it a new way by trading all their draft picks for players which isn’t true. Since McVay arrived there is only one team that has drafted more players. The Rams just trade their first round picks.

55-26 record
7-3 playoff record
2 SB appearances
1 ring

The rams have had one of the best non-pats runs in the last 20 years. They’ve done it with Goff & Stafford rather than Brady, Manning & Rodgers.

Some misconceptions:
  • The rams draft alot of players. Most of them are on day 3 to be role players
  • There aren’t cap problems that catch up to them because they elect to have players making next to nothing play starting positions (G, LB, S) while the stars take up most of it.
They are fascinating. They’ve basically blended some of BB’s philosophy (quantity rather than quality of draft picks, trading picks for NFL players) & the early 2000s colts (top heavy rosters) to have a SB contender the last 5 seasons.

The obvious weakness is injuries. Donald’s injury basically sunk their playoff hopes in 2020 & Odell nearly cost them this season. It’s hard to argue with the results so far.

Last edited:
Ask me in 2026 or 27.

The biggest myth about how the Rams are doing it is they trade away all their draft picks, only one other team has drafted more players than the Rams since McVay has been with the Rams, they just don’t use their first round picks.

They traded away future draft picks to unload Jared Goff's ridiculous contract and get Stafford. This is what people are missing. This is an unique situation where they had a mediocre QB who was one of the highest paid QBs in the league. They had to do drastic measures to dump him and upgrade their QB situation.

That said, they did mortgage the future for it. It paid off, but it isn't a model for other teams to follow.

I hate to admit it, but the KC Chiefs would have given the Rams a tougher game.

Burrow did not play well IMO. Cincinnati's very first drive he missed an open player in the flats on the 4th and 1. The Ramsey facemask TD should have been called back. Stafford threw 2 INTs and Cincinnati could only capitalize with 3 points. The Bengals play calling and game management sucked IMO. The Bengals were running the ball well, but decided to keep passing with the Rams sacking Burrow 7 times. The Bengals were hanging on to a 3 point lead because their defense kept coming up big.

Despite all that, the Bengals had over 1 minute in regulation and a couple of timeouts to drive within FG range to send the game into OT. What a trainwreck. If Mahomes were in the same scenario I like his chances much better.

Then, there is the officiating. Yes, the Bengals defense had their hands on the LA WRs, but that was going on all game long. If its egregious you have to call it, but to me it looked like basic coverage. 2 big calls bailed the Rams out. The Rams committed PI and no call.

Bottom line is that draft pick and Super Bowl 56 MVP Kooper Cup won the game for LA.

They both won though. Now they both will have some down years after. And in the rams case no picks to replenish the cupboard.

That's the benefit of the draft. Cheap talent. It's why the Seahawks never won once Wilson got his big contract and now KC is taking a step back.

The Rams are still fairly young though. As long as McVay is coming back (his fiancee says he is on IG) and Donald returns, they should be in good shape for the next few years. Afterwards, I don't known...Tampa is an old team and it is less likely they can compete for the next few years. And speaking of the Bucs, I heard they are looking into Deshaun Watson lol.

Last edited:
Do you have examples in the salary cap, a tthis magnitude? Just an honest question, obviously I dont follow all NFL coverage u guys have

Don't take the the wrong way, but I'm not going to hunt down a bunch of these examples. There's no need to. We've seen teams give up picks for players forever. What people are saying is different here is about the amount of picks.

But you give up picks for a Jalen Ramsey, and you give up picks to upgrade from Jared Goff.

Remember this one

Seattle made the trade in July of 2020 when they gave up and first and third-rounders in the 2021 NFL Draft, a first-round draft selection in 2022 and safety Bradley McDougald.

And it's not really different from teams signing franchise players

Here's Snead's trading:

LA Rams trade history: Grading every deal under Les Snead since 2017

Other than paying out for the best CB in the NFL, and paying out for a QB upgrade, it's nothing that's really noteworthy. It's basically BB's style., but without having a Brady.

Don't take the the wrong way, but I'm not going to hunt down a bunch of these examples. There's no need to. We've seen teams give up picks for players forever. What people are saying is different here is about the amount of picks.

But you give up picks for a Jalen Ramsey, and you give up picks to upgrade from Jared Goff.

Remember this one
No, its much fair. I do think the Rams went overagressive, to the being a outliner. But its all good

I say everyday ill quit smoking and drinking
You should, but it’s not quite the same thing.
Here’s to gaining some willpower!!!

No, its much fair. I do think the Rams went overagressive, to the being a outliner. But its all good

They needed some juice, since they are a "new" franchise that's got to sell out a very expensive new home. And they got distressed assets, though they were willing to pay more for them than BB has done in the past.

But even with their current setup, and all their moves, they wouldn't have been even sniffing the SB if it weren't for their best offensive (Kupp) and defensive (Donald) players, both of whom are home grown players.

It is always better to play the "all in route" as opposed to the typical "future" nonsense that GM's do only to be out of a job soon after.

Take the Rams for example, they haven't won a Super Bowl in 23 years and the closest they came was one time since in 2018. So what makes you think playing the typical "future" game is going to bring a Lombardi their way? Had they not made the trades for Ramsey, Miller, OBJ and finally Stafford, they are just like every other team hoping they have a fluke run.

Rams did the right thing and fans will take a Lombardi any day of the week for one year if it means "cap hell" down the road.
And if the SF DB doesn't drop a gimme pick, they don't even get there. But still get cap hell.

As the Bucs, who had a lot of things go right for their Superbowl win, now get to deal with...

The Saints are another team to fall to the win-now attitude.

As a fan, I'd rather play meaningful games in January every year than do the Red Sox-style first-place-last-place dance, which really just sucks.

With the end of the dynasty ,the league is in parity mode. There are several AFC and NFC teams who could win it all next year, as there were this year. As Jones matures, I want the Pats to be one of those several every year.

The NFL isn't the NBA. Football isn't basketball. In the NBA, you can play that game and lift some trophies. In the NFL, load up all you want and injuries or a bad bounce can, and often will, end your season.

They needed some juice, since they are a "new" franchise that's got to sell out a very expensive new home. And they got distressed assets, though they were willing to pay more for them than BB has done in the past.

But even with their current setup, and all their moves, they wouldn't have been even sniffing the SB if it weren't for their best offensive (Kupp) and defensive (Donald) players, both of whom are home grown players.
Very true words

for the bolded
If I were with more time, would be fun looking at to what they have scouted/drafted (broadly) compared to BBs draft frrom 2017 and 2021. Those years won them the SB, in a way, unquestionably.

Donald is and isnt a factor. You expect a contribution from a 1st rounder on avg (even if its a small one). He is just beastly and they matched him with other rockets on Defense.

And about Cupp. The less i talk the better bc even I know many mocked him here to be Wes Welker replacement (Edelman exploded that year, previously and they would combine SO WELL). One of the reasons i stopped caring about Drafting is that is impossible to read BB in the end. Just let it happen

Last edited:

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back