PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Official 2020 Tompa Bay Gronkaneers Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
you forget 2011...they were like bottom 5 D that year.
I didn't know that. I didn't follow FB as much back then, but I am surprised. I think if I recall correctly, that the D upped their game in the playoffs though.

2011 and 2017 defenses weren’t good

One of the differences between Brady and most of the other QBs listed above is that almost all of his deep passes are on schedule vs finding them after a scramble. Seems like a bunch of the deep throws made by someone like Wilson are on broken plays to Metcalf where he ends up wide open deep so his level of accuracy and fear of an INT are much different than Brady who is almost always throwing it to someone who is being covered.
Good point.

holy s***!!!

A separated/dislocated shoulder is incredibly painful.. so painful its nearly impossible to play on

Heinicke was playing out of his mind last night... showed tons of guts
Cam played all games with chewing gum in his mouth. I think it could have blocked his game plan and been a factor of his bad presence on the field :)

???

His inability to be consistent on deep throws and throws outside the numbers is one of the reasons they have been playing during wildcard weekend, but whatever floats your boat or makes your narrative work. Missed connections and turnovers are literally what lost them pretty much all of the games against stronger opponents.

On the flipside, if they can actually for once stop forcing this low-percentage **** and instead exploit more between the numbers stuff -- the place Brady is still pretty good at -- it should reduce the probability for turnovers. Then set up 2-3 shots in a game after you have made the defense starts cheating towards the short/intermediate stuff and they have a chance to beat anyone in the NFC.

It is maddening that they are wasting that much offensive talent on low percentage throws.
I get what your saying, like going to an empty backfield on 3rd and 2 in the red zone. Like what the heck.

It's very different than what we are use to seeing although it's nice to see what Brady can do when he has the horses to make those deep throws.

But yeah, no matter how good Brady has been lately, the deep throws will be hit and miss against top defenses. There are also more interceptions on deep throws against top D.

They need to play smarter, more play action, quick outs, and more AB

Last edited:
The O has been playing lights out since their bye week. It is definitely SB caliber. They had over 500 yards against a top 5 defense.

But can Tampa O play lights out for 3 more games against very good D? Possibly but I don't think it is enough to win the SB unless the D steps it up a notch and at least be above average. There is enough talent on the D to be much better.

In Brady's 9 SB appearances, the NE D was always good to elite.

My fear is that Brady and the offense won't even see much of the ball. Especially since the Tampa D is not only soft, but because the offense doesn't really run the ball well enough to control the clock. So much of the offense is quick strike, reminiscent of the Colts between 2000-2010. That D may be in tatters by the 3rd quarter.

The deep ball is so overrated and dependent on the receiver so much more than the QB, which is why Brady’s “limits” prior to 2020 have always been hog wash. How strange that with Randy Moss, Josh Gordon, and other big, fast downfield receivers his “accuracy” suddenly improved but most of his career hasn’t featured that type of receiver.

Go to your back yard. Lob a tennis ball high in the air and try to come close to hitting a spot on the ground fifty-feet...you’ll come very close each time. Then take that ball and zero in on a target twenty-five feet in front of you...something like a tree at exactly the height of your head. It’s really that easy to see why deep passes take much less skill than intermediate ones.

Lobbing a football 40 yards in the air is closer to a special teams play like an onside kick just requiring a lot of luck on split second route adjustments at the end. And the further downfield the throw, the more subject is becomes to chance.
Also requires protection up front and, many times, a back to pick up the free blitzer.

This is actually more like it...

6fa2e1933ab46ac9133d6d9025d4d77d.jpg

I hope you had your safesearch on when you clicked go on that one haha

what did you search for tho? asking for a friend.....

I'm watching the games all the experts are watching who have said that he is the best this year at throwing the deep ball. The analysis coincides perfectly with my assessment.

Uh huh.

That was right after they finished other playoff level teams and includes the stretch he went 0-19 with 3 INTs between Week 9 and Week 11 in games against stronger opponents.

Yeah, most likely he got to pad his stats towards the end of the year when they played a row of gimmes -- which still somehow ended up substantially closer than it should have -- against the Falcons and Lions. But over the course of the season he was inconsistent as **** on deep throws and there is a lot of tape proving exactly that.

Reality is that the Bucs would be a much more consistent and ultimately better team if they'd reduce the number of attempts they waste on deeper shots and exploit the middle of the field more. This is where he is money and what made him a HoF level player. If they keep with Arians' obsession with deep shots odds are they will not make it much further when they have the talent to absolutely get to the SB.

Reality is that the Bucs would be a much more consistent and ultimately better team if they'd reduce the number of attempts they waste on deeper shots and exploit the middle of the field more. This is where he is money and what made him a HoF level player. If they keep with Arians' obsession with deep shots odds are they will not make it much further when they have the talent to absolutely get to the SB.

Agree. They have been doing that a lot more post-bye. The deep shots are now a lot more result of Brady recognizing mismatches to exploit rather than these convoluted 7-step dropbacks.

The deep ball is so overrated and dependent on the receiver so much more than the QB, which is why Brady’s “limits” prior to 2020 have always been hog wash. How strange that with Randy Moss, Josh Gordon, and other big, fast downfield receivers his “accuracy” suddenly improved but most of his career hasn’t featured that type of receiver.

Which is why I don't understand what the **** Arians and Leftwich have been doing all year. You have someone who is absolutely money on throws inside the numbers and the best of all time reading defenses. ****ing ride this **** to a title instead of going for those deep shots that sink drives.

I don't get where the obsession with deep balls comes from or the almost allergic reaction people have to the term "dink & dunk" as if it is something reprehensive. Just kill them with a thousand short/intermediate passes as an extension of your non-existent run game and then unpack those 2-3 shots at strategically good times. Jesus, what McDaniels would do with so much talent..

Some good stuff here that has aged like cheese...

He is 41. He does not have time to learn new systems. The only reason he is still playing is because he has a chance to win every year thanks to how well built the infrastructure is around his strengths in NE. The older he gets the more comfortable you want him to be with the playcalling and surrounding talent because you can leverage almost two decades worth of his experience with it.

mean it is pretty obvious. But then again people keep calling him the GOAT and think that means that he is the best in all possible aspects of being a QB. Guess what ? You put him into a pure west coast system and he might actually be a below average QB simply because his strengths don't overlap particularly well with what would be asked of him there. And again.. at the age of 41 you spend more time maintaining what you have than trying to learn new tricks.

To suggest you can just transplant him into a different team, surrounded by totally unfamiliar players and coaches and to top if off into a different system of offense is just naive.

I am not confusing anything. I am saying as it is. Brady is incredible in the offense that he helped to optimize to perfection in NE. It is pretty likely that he would be significantly worse if you throw him into another offense, with unfamiliar players and new coaches. That is just logical thinkng.

If I didn’t give you any links or context, you’d think Max Kellerman authored these posts. Holy ****.

Not sure if this was mentioned already:

If I didn’t give you any links or context, you’d think Max Kellerman authored these posts. Holy ****.
There's been a lot of Rob Parkers, Max Kellermans and Shannon Sharpe's in this forum just waiting for Brady to fail. There is 2 in this thread constantly

Uh huh.

That was right after they finished other playoff level teams and includes the stretch he went 0-19 with 3 INTs between Week 9 and Week 11 in games against stronger opponents.

Yeah, most likely he got to pad his stats towards the end of the year when they played a row of gimmes -- which still somehow ended up substantially closer than it should have -- against the Falcons and Lions. But over the course of the season he was inconsistent as **** on deep throws and there is a lot of tape proving exactly that.

There are dozens of links above showing the opposite. You're denying reality. And all the announcers have noticed his deep ball accuracy too.

The "metrosexual weirdo" line is solid gold ....right up there with "our big lesbian QB" one liner penned in the past few months

There are dozens of links above showing the opposite. You're denying reality. And all the announcers have noticed his deep ball accuracy too.

It is almost like you are in a cult. Breath in and breath out and then realize that the Bucs would be a much better team if Brady wouldn't waste drives on low percentage shots.

Bucs also had like a million and a half dropped balls, they were consistently dropping balls and letting Brady down for nearly 3 full quarters
I was cursing at Godwin all night. He dropped everything.

That tweet was also from late November. Brady and the offense has a whole have been on fire since.

If he was half as smart as he thinks he is someone would be paying him for insight like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes