PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT NBA Draft Lottery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Blake Griffin is a free agent, so no trade is needed. He's a huge injury risk, and not a rim protector, but he'd vastly upgrade the offensive PF production. A better fit though would be a center, to let Horford play PF. Unfortunately there aren't too many centers around these days that are capable, but Nerlens Noel would be worth a look as a free agent defensive big, something now lacking. Unless his price is too high. He's done nothing to earn a huge deal.

top free agents: NBA Free Agency 2017: The top players

2nd tier stud jamychal green is an adequate replacement of Amir Johnson and should not cost anywhere near max money.

McHale and Parrish for picks that became Joe Berry Carroll and Ricky Brown.

As for the Ball comparisons to Kidd I just don't see it. Kidd was obviously the superior ball handler and distributor and turned himself into a decent shooter. All Ball has on him is height but he's way too slight of frame and will get knocked off the ball easily at the NBA level.
Kidd was 6'5". I don't think Ball has anything on him

I'm in the minority here, but i take Ball. His game is suited to the NBA and he makes players around him better. I think his vision and basketball IQ make him to good to pass up.

Either way if we take Fultz or Ball, the question is what do we do with Thomas.

The more i research this draft, the more I think Lonzo Ball is the true generational talent in this draft, not Fultz. He (Fultz) likely will end up being a really good player but hes not the transformational player Ball is.

Either take Ball and deal with the s**tstorm that comes from he and his dad about not getting to play for the Lakers, or strongly consider trading the pick.

Fultz. Get it down Danny, easy decision.
I think if you take Fultz a very likely scenario is you become the Washington Wizards for the next decade. Youre a 45-49 win team yearly with a sensational point guard and a mid-seed playoff birth but never a true threat to win it all

On the other hand if you take Ball you could very likely be getting the center piece for a Warriors like run where he elevates the play of everyone around him (think a more well rounded Curry) and you're looking at 60 wins yearly

Neither pick is a "bad" pick in this case, but theres one that clearly is favorable to the other. And option 3 of course is trade the pick and go full win-now mode and try to avoid NBA pergatory for the next decade

Interesting opinion. Jerry West, Elgin Baylor and Bob Cousy all have said that Jordan is the GOAT. You'd think they would have all picked Russell if it were that clear- cut.

Why would one think that? Not everyone considered Ruth the best in his day, either, and there are still some who'd argue for another, but he's the G.O.A.T. in baseball. Both Orr and Gretzky have said that Howe's the G.O.A.T. in Hockey, yet many would argue that it's one of them.

I think if you take Fultz a very likely scenario is you become the Washington Wizards for the next decade. Youre a 45-49 win team yearly with a sensational point guard and a mid-seed playoff birth but never a true threat to win it all

On the other hand if you take Ball you could very likely be getting the center piece for a Warriors like run where he elevates the play of everyone around him (think a more well rounded Curry) and you're looking at 60 wins yearly

Neither pick is a "bad" pick in this case, but theres one that clearly is favorable to the other. And option 3 of course is trade the pick and go full win-now mode and try to avoid NBA pergatory for the next decade

This is all a bunch of hogwash. Weren't you the one saying it would take 3-5 years to figure this out? Now after a couple of hours of googling Ball is suddenly the second coming? Needless to say, I disagree.

This is all a bunch of hogwash. Weren't you the one saying it would take 3-5 years to figure this out? Now after a couple of hours of googling Ball is suddenly the second coming? Needless to say, I disagree.
it will take 3-5 years to know for sure, that is correct. This is all speculation and opinions, just like all the things you and everyone else has said too. Theres nothing wrong with disagreeing, but i dont think either of us (if either of us even gets it right) will know for sure until these guys are approaching their primes, which will take a good 3-5 years

Why would one think that? Not everyone considered Ruth the best in his day, either, and there are still some who'd argue for another, but he's the G.O.A.T. in baseball. Both Orr and Gretzky have said that Howe's the G.O.A.T. in Hockey, yet many would argue that it's one of them.

A typical retort of the Russell-is-the-GOAT crowd if you were to say, for example, "Why was he such a mason? You would think that a dominant big in an era of few dominant bigs would be able to shoot better than 45% from the field" is "you obviously never saw him play." For those who take that approach, it is telling that some of the NBA legends who not only saw him play but played with (or against) him nonetheless say that Jordan is the greatest.

it will take 3-5 years to know for sure, that is correct. This is all speculation and opinions, just like all the things you and everyone else has said too. Theres nothing wrong with disagreeing, but i dont think either of us (if either of us even gets it right) will know for sure until these guys are approaching their primes, which will take a good 3-5 years

Yes, and I think this one is almost as silly as the Patrick Ewing/Wayman Tisdale debate which was definitively resolved all of 5 minutes into the 1985-86 season. But you are correct; nobody can predict the future, we all have our opinions, etc., etc.

Yes, and I think this one is almost as silly as the Patrick Ewing/Wayman Tisdale debate which was definitively resolved all of 5 minutes into the 1985-86 season. But you are correct; nobody can predict the future, we all have our opinions, etc., etc.
Was that one actually a debate? I wasnt alive back then but everything ive read and seen about that draft was that Ewing was the clear cut top choice and thats why the nba had to supposedly rig the whole thing to make sure it was new york and no one else that got him

And just for the record im not trying to claim that ball/fultz is the next ewing/tisdale. I dont think the gap will be nearly that considerable, its more like the difference between a Curry and a Damian Lillard than those two IMO

The floor for both is all-star, but i think the ceiling for one is generational talent and for other its "merely" a very good point guard

Last edited:
For those who take that approach, it is telling that some of the NBA legends who not only saw him play but played with (or against) him nonetheless say that Jordan is the greatest.

Oscar Robertson doesn't think Jordan's the best ever. According to your logic, that's telling. That's an obvious example of why your argument sucks.

Who the hell debated for Tisdale? The only knock on Patrick was his offense and as you say that was answered in 5 minutes. But that defense.....

What a draft. Ewing, Malone and Mullin. Even Tisdale had a solid NBA career.

Oscar Robertson doesn't think Jordan's the best ever. According to your logic, that's telling. That's an obvious example of why your argument sucks.

Oscar Robertson played with Jordan? That's an obvious example of why you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

Really? I would put Scottie Pippen (and even Dr. Jay) above Lebron and it's not even close.

Even factoring in recency bias, LeBron is nowhere near Kobe Bryant or the criminally underrated Tim Duncan.

You should honestly probably just stop watching basketball. Or start. Because whatever you're doing right now ain't working.

Who the hell debated for Tisdale? The only knock on Patrick was his offense and as you say that was answered in 5 minutes. But that defense.....

What a draft. Ewing, Malone and Mullin. Even Tisdale had a solid NBA career.

That was a great draft. I remember when Malone was selected he said that he was looking forward to playing "in the City of Utah".

Ewing-Tisdale was a hot topic on the message boards of the day, i.e. public school cafeterias. The Tisdale crowd rightly pointed out what an incredible college player he was, including accumulating similar non-scoring stats to Ewing while putting up ~25 ppg. But Ewing was Ewing.

Fultz. Get it down Danny, easy decision.
Even more obvious after last night. We aren't one player away from winning the title. Get the young buck.

Kareem doesn't get nearly enough credit, him Russ and Wilt are right up there with MJ, but Kareem especially has a great argument for GOAT status.

That was a great draft. I remember when Malone was selected he said that he was looking forward to playing "in the City of Utah".

Ewing-Tisdale was a hot topic on the message boards of the day, i.e. public school cafeterias. The Tisdale crowd rightly pointed out what an incredible college player he was, including accumulating similar non-scoring stats to Ewing while putting up ~25 ppg. But Ewing was Ewing.

Yea I was in HS at the time and if there was a Big East game on I was watching it.

Ewing was god.

Even more obvious after last night. We aren't one player away from winning the title. Get the young buck.
This is why I didn't have a problem with the Cavs laying a bit of a beat down on us last night. I trust that Danny isn't with the "contend now" train of thought but in case he was I hope this reinforced that we need to continue to be patient.

Develop Fultz, Brown, Zizic and potentially a Bkn '18 pick. Let the current core give us some enjoyable seasons (even if we aren't a legit contender). By 2020 we should be well on our way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes