PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: McNabb to Skins

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's a great move for Washington, they haven't had a good QB there for awhile.
Shanny doesn't give a crap about what the old guard did, you earn a spot or your out, and his attitude will turn that franchise around.
I'm wondering where Campbell is going...maybe Cleveland!! heheheh

Shanny doesn't give a crap about what the old guard did, you earn a spot or your out, and his attitude will turn that franchise around.

Son , if attitude is what turns a franchise around, the Lomardi Trophy would, by now, have been renamed the Carroll Trophy.

Son , if attitude is what turns a franchise around, the Lomardi Trophy would, by now, have been renamed the Carroll Trophy.
this is obviously a joke, but I'm missing the punchline?

i'm wondering how asante feels about his signing with philly now.

i'm wondering how asante feels about his signing with philly now.

He probably doesn't give a damn as long as Lurie's checks keep rolling in. The Pats were poised for another run at history in 2008 when Asante decided to move on to greener pastures.

You must be REALLY old.
If your referring to Pete Carroll, I'd have to laugh.

I was listening to ESPN analyze the trade, and at one point, someone mentioned that the Redskins were trying include Haynesworth in the deal, which the Eagles declined. Found that interesting.

I was listening to ESPN analyze the trade, and at one point, someone mentioned that the Redskins were trying include Haynesworth in the deal, which the Eagles declined. Found that interesting.

Shanahan wants to be rid of Haynesworth, and I don't blame him. No competant GM, however, will likely take Fat Albert, and his attitude & contract, off of the deadSkins' hands.

Once upon a time Shannahan's attitude and genius had an excellent defense in Denver and an OL any scrub back could run for a thousand plus behind and he finally dumped his chosen heart attack QB Jake the Snake and matched up Cutler and Marshall and Graham...and didn't do a damn thing. In fact he lost ground... He hasn't won anything since the Elway era ended early in his tenure in Denver. He wouldn't have ever won anything had he not cheated the cap to retain Elway on that team.

I remember when the great HOF HC Joe Gibbs rode in on his white nascar steed and Snyder hired half a dozen former HC's to assist him and bought every FA on the market and it didn't do a damn thing. I remember when Dan Snyder boldly hired the iconic reigning offensive genius of college football HC's and what resulted was an unmitigated disaster.

Is Donovan McNabb a better option at QB than Jason Campbell - you betcha. That should take this largely otherwise identical team from 4-12 to 7-9. Is Shannahan a better HC than his predecessor...absolutely. That should take this team from 7-9 to 9-7. Is this team transitioning from a 4-3 to a 3-4 with largely the same 4-3 talent his boss had already assembled? Apparently. The fact that his most expensive and suitable DE doesn't want to play the nose in a 3-4 could land them back at 7-9 or worse. Will Shannahan select a LT with the 4th pick in the 2010 draft? That's what everyone assumes. Will that fix his probelms on offense...not likely since the rest of the line remains equally suspect and no one knows how they will handle the demanding transistion to zone blocking for a trio of faded RB talents Shanny has cobbled together. Does Shannahan have the ammo to augment any of them or add impact weapons beyond an aging #1 WR and a TE? Not unless he trades well out of range of the potential starting LT's in this draft since he has no #2 or #3 (spent in the supplemental draft last summer).

Mike Shannahan hasn't won a thing in over a decade even though he was a genius with total football authority on a team whose owner supported him. He was fired after going 1-4 in the playoffs post Elway decade (and even the one was a gift from a beat up and exhausted reigning back to back champion who finally unraveled) and .500 in his last three seasons there. If he doesn't get Washington to the playoffs this season Snyder will start to get antsey. If he doesn't win the division and get deep into the playoffs by year 2 Snyder will begin to reclaim his authority and in year three Mike Shannahan will be fighting for his HCing life and what he did a decade and a half go won't save his current job any more than it did his previous one. It will just make it easier for his toadies to point the finger at Snyder which is nothing new. Shanny won't be the first superstar or HOF'er to be both humbled and enriched by association with Snyder's Redskins. Basically that's why he took the job come to think of it. It's a win win given the depth of Snyder's pockets and his willingness to throw money at his perceived problems.

It's amazing how many of the same people here who think BB has lost his fastball because we haven't won it all in 5 years or gone undefeated and to a superbowl in 2 assume Shannahan is some sort of franchise savior...

Last edited:
So you're giving Shanahan 3 years? 3 years is a long time in football. Most turnarounds, if they do happen, tend to happen in the first 1 to 2 years. The problem for the Redskins is not McNabb, who should be an upgrade for their QB position, it's that entire roster. Over the years its been built up with overpaid high priced, high ego free agents.

The defense does have a good core, but transitioning to the 3-4 raises questionmarks on what pieces still fit. On offense well, the Redskins still don't have a lot of weapons around McNabb. Then again he is used to not having much to work with and still making the offense look good. The Redskins still need to rebuild their OL though, or McNabb will get killed. He can't make other players on offense look good if he isn't given any time to throw.

this is obviously a joke, but I'm missing the punchline?

Ever hear of Pete "Pumped and Jacked" Carroll???

Lord, how quickly they forget!

What amazes me is all the pundits saying that the 'Skins are now sure to have a better 2010 season than the Eagles. It's possible, but I'd put my money on the Eagles even with all the players they let go. They made the playoffs last year and they still have the same coach, whereas the Skins are starting over with a lousy team.

What amazes me is all the pundits saying that the 'Skins are now sure to have a better 2010 season than the Eagles. It's possible, but I'd put my money on the Eagles even with all the players they let go. They made the playoffs last year and they still have the same coach, whereas the Skins are starting over with a lousy team.

Deion Sanders was saying that for a young trio of WRs and a young QB to have instant success in the NFL is a very rare occurance,usually if you have a veteran between your QB and top 2 receivers you have a good chance but too much youth is hard to overcome quickly especially a young QB and 2 young WRs who will have to take time to really get in sync together,I think he is right in that regards.

IMO The Eagles have taken a serious step backwards in the NFC East.

The Skins should have a top 10 defense this year under Shanahan

Deion Sanders was saying that for a young trio of WRs and a young QB to have instant success in the NFL is a very rare occurance,usually if you have a veteran between your QB and top 2 receivers you have a good chance but too much youth is hard to overcome quickly especially a young QB and 2 young WRs who will have to take time to really get in sync together,I think he is right in that regards.

Kolb and those WR have been on the same team learning the same system for a couple of seasons now. Since Reid himself drafted a replacement QB for McNabb only to keep talking himself into one more season disappointing after another. Whereas in DC a guy Shannahan never met before Monday evening when they had dinner to get acquainted post trade...who played for a guy under whom the pass first offense basically revolved around McNabb...will be playing for a HC who employs a zone blocking run scheme (his present OL is not capable of adapting to) and uses the run to set up the pass. McNabb will be learning a whole new play book and terminology, as well as building rapore with his lone veteran WR of any note and his TE.

Then we have the whole matter of everyone switching not only terminology but scheme as well on defense, as a team constructed to play 4-3 transitions to 3-4. Apparently without a willing nose tackle...

The Redskins presently have the 4th, 103rd, and 135th picks among the top 200 in the 2010 draft (they have no 2nd, 3rd, or 6th) to bridge a multitude of gaps... I'm sure Shanny will be praying for a trade down partner, but in some ways in trading for McNabb he has further limited the liklihood he can since he pushed a QB down the board. He also needs a LT who can start as fate would have it. But then he needs a lot more...

Philly meanwhile now has quite a nice collection of picks in a deep draft. 9 in the top 200 including a first, two seconds, two thirds, and two fourths which essentially gives them an opportunity to land several players with third round or better talent and grades.

It's entirely possible the Eagles have taken a step backwards, but I still think they'll do better than the 'Skins, even with Shanny at the reins. Just my opinion. ;)

Kolb and those WR have been on the same team learning the same system for a couple of seasons now. Since Reid himself drafted a replacement QB for McNabb only to keep talking himself into one more season disappointing after another. Whereas in DC a guy Shannahan never met before Monday evening when they had dinner to get acquainted post trade...who played for a guy under whom the pass first offense basically revolved around McNabb...will be playing for a HC who employs a zone blocking run scheme (his present OL is not capable of adapting to) and uses the run to set up the pass. McNabb will be learning a whole new play book and terminology, as well as building rapore with his lone veteran WR of any note and his TE.

Then we have the whole matter of everyone switching not only terminology but scheme as well on defense, as a team constructed to play 4-3 transitions to 3-4. Apparently without a willing nose tackle...

The Redskins presently have the 4th, 103rd, and 135th picks among the top 200 in the 2010 draft (they have no 2nd, 3rd, or 6th) to bridge a multitude of gaps... I'm sure Shanny will be praying for a trade down partner, but in some ways in trading for McNabb he has further limited the liklihood he can since he pushed a QB down the board. He also needs a LT who can start as fate would have it. But then he needs a lot more...

Philly meanwhile now has quite a nice collection of picks in a deep draft. 9 in the top 200 including a first, two seconds, two thirds, and two fourths which essentially gives them an opportunity to land several players with third round or better talent and grades.

There's one thing though....a few bad games by Kolb and Eagles fans will be chanting for Vick and that would change the whole dimention of that team.

There's one thing though....a few bad games by Kolb and Eagles fans will be chanting for Vick and that would change the whole dimention of that team.

I doubt it since the Eagles are reportedly still trying to unload him and plan to bring in another veteran JAG QB to be the 3rd QB and replacement starter in the event of injury because they apparently now realize Vick is not a viable option as a starter, just a limited use wildcat option. There won't be any competition in camp. Kolb is the starter and Vick is just a limited use weapon (if they can't unload him...).

A few bad games in DC and fans there will be chanting for yet another change at QB and HC (not to mention ownership). And considering how thin skinned Donovan is and how egotistical Shannahan is that relationship could sour a lot easier than it did in Philly or Denver where there was at least always some history to fall back or draw on...

I agree. Out of those 7 top-150 picks for Philly, at least 4-5 will be used on defense, so the holes they have there - DE, OLB, CB, SS - should be adequately filled. And don't be surprised to see some post-draft vet FA activity, as well.

I don't see the Skins over-taking the Eagles this year, or any year in which McPuke is seen as a "leader" to the Promised Land.

They say this every year in the Andy Reid era - Jackson and Maclin are game breakers, and their being youth is an even bigger plus, as they can utilize their speed much easier. Celek has developed into a Jason Witten type TE, LeSean McCoy has alot of Westbrook attributes albeit he's durable, and Eldra Buckly has Marion Barber-potential.

The Eagles have 11 picks, including the Skins' 37th overall - they'll have no trouble filling their voids at LB/C/CB.

I think the Cowboys will take a step back, b/c their ageing on the OL/LB corps, and their 2nd best defensive player(CB Terrence Newman) is getting up in age too, and is not that durable. And the Giants' run under Eli is coming to an end too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes