PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: LeBron James

Disagree. We won't need him to score. We need him to grab rebounds and play defense, something he can do.
18 rebounds from 7 play off games in 2009/2010 doesn't sound like a guy on top of his form for mine.

18 rebounds from 7 play off games in 2009/2010 doesn't sound like a guy on top of his form for mine.

What do you expect from a guy with Chosen 1 on his back ...

Rebounds are for peons.

I witnessed the Chosen 1 perform nothing like a King.

LeBrons playoff performance can best be analyzed in our "Thread about Nothing" in the pub.

I'll agree that the decision was pretty self-aggrandizing but I love how one simple (and good) fact keeps getting ignored in the way of all the hate: the fact that James' decision, overall, earned $3.5M for the Boys and Girls Clubs of America. So yes, while the decision was self-aggrandizing, something really good came out of it.

That's true, but let's not pretend that's what this was about, though.

There's an awful lot of questionable, albeit entertaining, things you could put on TV that could earn plenty of $$ for good causes, that doesn't make it right.

Lebron could've just written a sizable check to the Boys and Girls Club and foregone the media circus. $$ isn't a thing for him. The money going to charity was nothing more than a thinly-veiled justification for him promoting and furthering his brand on national TV, I'm quite positive of that.

Last edited:
All the 'LeBron is a quitter' memes, are just smearing mostly propagated by the disgruntled childish Cavs owner.

What? The "Lebron is a quitter" stuff began during the Celtics series when, well, Lebron quit. It had nothing to do with the Gilbert letter which was written just days ago. Lebron earned the label as a quitter by completely tanking it in the last 2 games of the Celts series and showing no heart, whatsoever.

Part of it might have had something to do with the fact that he knew damn well, he, Bosh and Wade would be teaming up shortly thereafter. If I were a Cleveland fan, I'd be pretty upset.

As for his supporting cast - again, if the team is good enough to win the most games of ANY team in the league, and be unbeatable at home, how are they not good enough to win it all?

He's going to go to Miami, and he's going to lose again. I'm sorry, this guys is a loser. I'm fully capable of giving an opposing team's player props. Heck, I don't even have anything against Cleveland like I do with Kobe & LA. But I'll tell you right now I respect Kobe. Lebron, I do not. This guy does not know how to play the game right, his basketball talents are limited, his game is predicated so much on his size (and his abuse of the league rules), and he has shown over and over that his #1 goal in life is business, attention, showtime, etc. - not winning. If it weren't for the notoriety he got before coming into the league, he would not be considered a better player than Melo or Durant, and he would not have won the MVP this season.

If Miami wins a championship, it will be because of Dwayne Wade. Not Lebron.

Last edited:
Nobody knows for sure if LeBron quit. It's just as plausible, and there is just as much proof (or the absence of it), to claim that LeBron played hurt and kept his mouth shut about it.

I don't think LeBron cares about this, he just wants to win rings, and he's in the best place right now for him to win a ton of rings. LeBron is more naturally suited to be a facilitator than an assassin, which is fine. He's more Oscar Robertson or Magic than he is MJ.

As for the Kobe vs LeBron respect... I respect LeBron more than I do Kobe. Kobe would rather lose and shoot a ton, than give up the glory and win. With Kobe, he HAS to be the hero and the man, he demands it. Kobe's image is nowhere near the player or person he actually is. He tried to jump ship in 2007 and force a trade to a contender. He gets way more credit than is due for his team's successes. If it weren't for Pau Gasol, Kobe's Game 7 performance would be known as an all time choke job.

In the playoffs the Cavaliers showed that without LeBron playing amazing every game, that their team had nobody else good enough to step up. Shaq had similar knocks on his game or his personality when he couldn't win a ring in Orlando, but pairing up with a great teammate can change perception pretty quickly.

Last edited:
What? The "Lebron is a quitter" stuff began during the Celtics series when, well, Lebron quit. It had nothing to do with the Gilbert letter which was written just days ago. Lebron earned the label as a quitter by completely tanking it in the last 2 games of the Celts series and showing no heart, whatsoever.

Part of it might have had something to do with the fact that he knew damn well, he, Bosh and Wade would be teaming up shortly thereafter. If I were a Cleveland fan, I'd be pretty upset.

If Cleveland even made it to the finals then he would not have been able to say he was leaving to go to a winning team. There's no question he tanked it to further the Miami master plan.

Let's not forget he was paid very good money to be the best he could be. He lied to his fans and he became a disgrace to that area. As time goes by the real story will play out more and more and hopefully he never wins in Miami and instead he will always be remembered for the chance he had to win it all ... in Cleveland ... in 2010. The basketball gods will make him pay ... as well he should for disgracing the game.

Last edited:
That's true, but let's not pretend that's what this was about, though.

There's an awful lot of questionable, albeit entertaining, things you could put on TV that could earn plenty of $$ for good causes, that doesn't make it right.

Lebron could've just written a sizable check to the Boys and Girls Club and foregone the media circus. $$ isn't a thing for him. The money going to charity was nothing more than a thinly-veiled justification for him promoting and furthering his brand on national TV, I'm quite positive of that.

That's why I admitted it was still self aggrandizing. However, I don't have nearly the problem with it that I would have had there not been a benefit out of it. If it was just all about it then I could see what the huge uproar would be about. The fact that a charity benefitted (not just from him, but also from a chunk of the commercial revenue) is enough for me to accept it.

Also, who else is laughing at ESPN now? They cream their pants to get this guy on TV so they can win a ratings war and then turn on him like a bunch of piranhas for today's hot topic. What a piece of garbage network.

As for his supporting cast - again, if the team is good enough to win the most games of ANY team in the league, and be unbeatable at home, how are they not good enough to win it all?

He's going to go to Miami, and he's going to lose again. I'm sorry, this guys is a loser. I'm fully capable of giving an opposing team's player props. Heck, I don't even have anything against Cleveland like I do with Kobe & LA. But I'll tell you right now I respect Kobe. Lebron, I do not. This guy does not know how to play the game right, his basketball talents are limited, his game is predicated so much on his size (and his abuse of the league rules), and he has shown over and over that his #1 goal in life is business, attention, showtime, etc. - not winning. If it weren't for the notoriety he got before coming into the league, he would not be considered a better player than Melo or Durant, and he would not have won the MVP this season.

The funny thing is that I remember you Celtics fans screaming about not giving enough credit to the Celtics defense against him a couple of months ago. Now most of you are saying he quit. But I guess that goes along with accepting what David Stern has to say right out of the gates when, just a few weeks ago, most of you were all but accusing him of single handedly twisting the last couple of Finals games to get a Lakers win. Now, I can't be certain if you, in particular, fall into either of these catagories and I don't care to go back and look, but the point still stands.

HIGHLY doubt that. I think there were more factors there than we know (one of them being outstanding defense played by the Celts) for that one. But I don't think seeing into the future in regards to playing for a super team was one of them.

So you're of the opinion that Cleveland won all of those games more because of the supporting cast and less because of him?

:rofl: I'm not even touching this.

If Miami wins a championship, it will be because of Dwayne Wade. Not Lebron./QUOTE]

SORT OF agree. I think Wade is a very underrated distributer of the ball. However, Wade couldn't win a championship the last few years by himself. If they win a championship it will be because of the TEAM around him.

Also, love how you say that he will not win a championship in Miami and then, in the very next paragraph, go on to make an IF statement regarding winning a championship in Miami. :cool:

Those saying LeBron is a fraud as a NBA player: LeBron is only 25 and has already won 2 NBA league MVP awards. He's arguably better than Kobe, but he isn't the ball-hog Kobe is so people think he doesn't have a "killer instinct". As for the quitter comments: at least for a game, LeBron's elbow was clearly not right. The Celtics had the league's best defense, leading the league in lowest defensive shooting percentage and points allowed. Paul Pierce had a horrible offensive series burning himself out to cover LeBron (with Tony Allen helping too with shut down D). If LeBron had a better supporting cast, maybe the series would have played out differently. Take a look at the playoff series stats for the rest of that Cleveland team. That roster sucks, wasn't even close to championship caliber (I don't think one other player averaged more than a dozen points), and at that point against the league's best defense, one player can easily be shut down. Dwayne Wade had the same problem the series before in losing to the Celtics.

As time goes by the real story will play out more and more and hopefully he never wins in Miami and instead he will always be remembered for the chance he had to win it all ... in Cleveland ... in 2010. The basketball gods will make him pay ... as well he should for disgracing the game.

The basketball Gods never punished the Lakers and Kobe for highway robbery with the Pau Gasol trade, orchestrated by Laker legend Jerry West basically acting against fiduciary and professional interest. Kobe was doubly not punished for trying to high tail it out of LA in 2007, to join a contender. Instead, the Lakers have made 3 straight NBA finals and won 2. Shaq was never punished for ditching Orlando and playing for the Lakers.

In no way did LeBron disgrace the game by going to Miami to play with his buddies. It is his right, and allowed under free agency. Players are also allowed to talk to each other, so long as it wasn't team-sanctioned. His biggest problem, and it's a big one, is being too immature and in a bubble to realize that he was insane to hold a TV special over his decision.

Last edited:
Here are some actual FACTS, for the 'LeBron quit' farce:

In the 2010 playoffs, LeBron averaged 42 minutes, 29.3 points, 8.4 rebounds, 7.3 assists, 1.6stl, 1 block, per game. He shot 50.2% from the field, 40% on threes.

Specifically against the Celtics, he averaged 26.8 points, 9.33 rebounds, 7.2 assists, 2.2 steals, 1.33 blocks. He shot 45% from the field.

It looks like he not only played as hard as his regular season averages, but played even HARDER in the playoffs, and at the very least definitely did not quit against the Celtics. Now, I won't post it here but ALL of his teammates played worse in the playoffs than they did in the regular season, especially against the Celtics.

He took the Celtics to 6 games, a team that was 4 minutes from winning it all and had the league's best defense across multiple measures.

Last edited:
DropKickFlutie is was obvious watching the games that LeBron quit private reasons or not. There was massive discussion at the time because it was most unlike LeBron of the regular season in his attack on the ball, the basket and his defence.

LeBron will never be in the class of Jordan and Bryant. Don't kid yourself.

Last edited:
Also, who else is laughing at ESPN now? They cream their pants to get this guy on TV so they can win a ratings war and then turn on him like a bunch of piranhas for today's hot topic. What a piece of garbage network.

Extra Special Pariah Network.

It's a ho eats ho business.

In the 2010 playoffs, LeBron averaged 42 minutes, 29.3 points, 8.4 rebounds, 7.3 assists, 1.6stl, 1 block, per game. He shot 50.2% from the field, 40% on threes.

Specifically against the Celtics, he averaged 26.8 points, 9.33 rebounds, 7.2 assists, 2.2 steals, 1.33 blocks. He shot 45% from the field.

It looks like he not only played as hard as his regular season averages, but played even HARDER in the playoffs, and at the very least definitely did not quit against the Celtics. Now, I won't post it here but ALL of his teammates played worse in the playoffs than they did in the regular season, especially against the Celtics.

He took the Celtics to 6 games, a team that was 4 minutes from winning it all and had the league's best defense across multiple measures.

We who have coached youth sports have a saying ...

He ran just hard enough not to get there ...

LeBron played very well ... but just not hard enough to get there.

something some good players do when suddenly confronted with adversity but still maintain their pride.

I mean really ... Paul freaking Pierce shut down LeBron ... :rofl:

I love Pierce ... but no way he really shut LeBron down ... no way.

Last edited:

Those aren't "facts", those are stats, they are misleading.

He compiled decent stats. But as I show, the stats also say he shot the ball horribly in the 4 losses, and padded his stats in the 2 wins - and with free throws in all of the games.

If you watched the games, which, I'm guessing you did not, you - like everyone else who did actually see it - would've come to the conclusion that Lebron played a major role in their losing. In fact, of the 2 games they did win in the series, the first was really thanks to their supporting cast (Mo). Lebron was on the bench when the comeback was made and Cleveland took the lead.

Last edited:
The funny thing is that I remember you Celtics fans screaming about not giving enough credit to the Celtics defense against him a couple of months ago. Now most of you are saying he quit. But I guess that goes along with accepting what David Stern has to say right out of the gates when, just a few weeks ago, most of you were all but accusing him of single handedly twisting the last couple of Finals games to get a Lakers win. Now, I can't be certain if you, in particular, fall into either of these catagories and I don't care to go back and look, but the point still stands.

I never accused Stern of producing a Lakers win. I think his real motive is stretching the series out, as there is a huge financial benefit. Specifically, I thought the refereeing blatantly favored the Cavs in the first 3 games, and after game 4 when it was apparent Lebron didn't have enough, it shifted in the Celts favor.

Sure, the Celts deserve a lot of credit for their defense, no doubt.

HIGHLY doubt that. I think there were more factors there than we know (one of them being outstanding defense played by the Celts) for that one. But I don't think seeing into the future in regards to playing for a super team was one of them.

Really, have you seen a team give up the way Cleveland did? Right down to the final minute and not fouling, and ignoring their coach to do so. It was insane. That has to fall on the shoulders of the guy leading them on the court. So why was he so aloof?

So you're of the opinion that Cleveland won all of those games more because of the supporting cast and less because of him?

Of course not, absolutely not. I have never said Lebron isn't a great player. Just that he should be second tier (Melo, Durant, CP3), and not mentioned alongside Kobe. And certainly, absolutely not mentioned in the same breath as any NBA great from the past. First tier players will their team to win.

The perception was that Lebron didn't have enough around him. But looking back on it, how can that be true if the same team steamrolled through the regular season and was unbeatable at home, against any competition?

Also, love how you say that he will not win a championship in Miami and then, in the very next paragraph, go on to make an IF statement regarding winning a championship in Miami. :cool:

Well, like KG said, "anything's possible". I'm not in the prognostication business. All I'm saying is, Lebron is not a mentally strong athlete. I don't see any evidence that suggests he is. I also don't see any evidence that suggests he has Kobe's work ethic, psyche or demeanor on the court.

At some point, the picture snapping, the calling onself King without any championships, the giving up in the playoffs, the 1-hour TV special, etc., etc. all adds up to paint a picture of the guy. I don't recall what you've said about Lebron, speicifically in the past, but would you be defending him if he weren't on the Heat right now?

And the fact is, Lebron will never enter the upper tier of all time NBA greats with his move to the Heat. He will always be remembered as the guy who had to leave town to get a ring. He has good company in guys like KG & Ray Allen. But if he really wanted to threaten Jordan's legacy, he absolutely had to stay in Cleveland and win, rather than defect to Miami to play with two more All-Stars. And ultimately, that's all Lebron is - a really good player who came into the league with great marketing and great PR. The reputation and aura surrounding him has - to this point - far exceeded his actual worth on the basketball court.

Last edited:

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back