PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT-ish: The gambling thread

I really like

Pats -7 @Detroit ❌
Bears -7 @Arizona ❌
Packers -3@Washington ❌

Bucs +1.5 vs Steelers is risky...Ben has been bad on the road past five years and Fitz is hot but, the Fitz magic could always end and he could ruin them.

Last edited:
I really like

Pats -7 @Detroit
Bears -7 @Arizona
Packers -3@Washington

Bucs -1.5 vs Steelers is risky...Ben has been bad on the road past five years and Fitz is hot but, the Fitz magic could always end and he could ruin them.

Bucs are dogs. I locked in on that. Bad line IMO

You the man

Not really but thanks.

After I checked I noticed that for some reason I don't have 2014's games and I also missed the scores in one game in 2013 and two in 2015. I also didn't add up the playoff games. These are the totals counting this year;

Favorites covered/more than 3 pt spread. [611/310]
Underdogs won/more than 3 pt spread [350/169]
Favorites won but didn't cover/over 3 pts [147/131]
Tied the spread/more than 3 point spread [43/15]

I don't know what any of this really means but there it is.

Not really but thanks.

After I checked I noticed that for some reason I don't have 2014's games and I also missed the scores in one game in 2013 and two in 2015. I also didn't add up the playoff games. These are the totals counting this year;

Favorites covered/more than 3 pt spread. [611/310]
Underdogs won/more than 3 pt spread [350/169]
Favorites won but didn't cover/over 3 pts [147/131]
Tied the spread/more than 3 point spread [43/15]

I don't know what any of this really means but there it is.

If I’m reading correctly. The underdog won 350 times. In 169 of those, the spread was 3.5 or more. A shade under 50 percent.

Steeler bets are bad. Big Ben is not looking good but who knows
Betting the Over in Steelers games, however, doesn't look nearly as bad.

Betting Tampa was huge for me last week.

Anyone got any plays they think are solid for the college games tonight? Nothing really sticks out to me

I would three-point tease the Bucs line. I think the Bucs can still keep it within 4.5 points.

Okay lets keep score!

Week 2 - 1-2-1

My week 3 picks

Pats -7.5 over Lions - I don't tend to bet on the Pats this early but I always like to bet on them to bounce back even early in the year. Lions may score some garbage points which make this kind of scary but i see this as a 2 score win. ❌

SF + 5.5 against KC - KC has been on a roll offensively. 40PPG over the first 2 games. While I respect their weapons and think Pat M is going to be good it is a good time to hop off this gravy train. KC is due for something to go wrong offensively. A few extra dropped balls or a few turnovers. Maybe SF makes a few goal line stands. I like SF and Jimmy G to put up a good fight and get near 30 here. KC may win but I don't see them this. ❌

GB - 3 against Washington - I don't know why this line exist. Basically 3 points is a virtual pick em. I think GB comes out on fire after last week and want to prove something. Washington has had trouble scoring points and I don't think they have the D to hold GB down. ❌

Chargers/Rams - Over 48.5 - I find it hard to understand the point spread here. 2 good offenses clashing in LA where the weather will be great. The Rams have a good D but it has played over its head and after a shut out will come back down to earth. It hasn't played a decent offense all year. ✅

Those are my 4 picks. I will do 4 every week and see how it looks at the end of the year.

I just lost $$ on Navy, but did anyone see the final play of that game? I will post a video when I can. SMU ran the same play NE ran against Baltimore a couple years ago where the Right Tackle lined up wide. At the snap he waving his hands for the ball but he is ineligible.

The TE set on the left end of the formation fooled the defense into thinking he was the left tackle.

For Week 3 the game I like best is Tampa Bay at home plus 1½ versus Pittsburgh. ❌

The Steelers have a history of playing much better at home than on the road, and this line seems to be based more on perception of the two teams over the last few years than current reality.

Pittsburgh's defense is more like a sieve than a steel curtain right now, near the bottom of the league in points and yardage - even though they have not played any offensive juggernauts. They are also dead last by a wide margin in penalties and penalty yards.

Fitzpatrick will eventually once again become FitzPickSix, but not yet. Mike Evans and DeSean Jackson are the best WR tandem he has ever had to work with. Last year the Steelers ran 1,051 offensive plays, and Le'Veon Bell was involved in 427 of those. To put that in perspective, that is 67 more plays (runs + pass targets) than passes that Roethlisberger completed.

The only concerns are regression to the mean (Pittsburgh better than they have shown, Tampa the reverse), and the Steelers being extra motivated after two winless games.

Teasing this game three points is worth consideration as well. In that case the Bucs could lose by 3 or 4 points, and the wager would still pay off.

Final Score: Steelers 30, Bucs 27; Pittsburgh wins & covers by 1½.

Others:
Pats -7 at Lions ❌
That is a lot of points to overcome on the road, but the Patriots have a history of rebounding very well after a loss. The Pats have lost 26 games by double digits in the Brady-Belichick era, including last week against the Jaguars. New England rebounded to win in the following week in 21 of the previous 25 instances.

Panthers -3 vs Bengals ✅
I'm not sold on 2-0 Cincinnati at all. Their D is giving up a lot of points, and it is doubtful that they continue to force so many turnovers. Marvin will eventually Marvin.

Packers -2½ at Redskins ❌
Washington looked awful last week at Indy against a mediocre Colts team, and the win over Arizona means nothing considering how bad the Cardinals are. As long as Green Bay wins - as they should - the wager covers, since so few games are determined by less than three points.

Dolphins -3 vs Raiders ✅
Oakland is not anywhere near as good as they were in 2016 when they looked so promising. Never easy for a mediocre west coast team to play an early game on the east coast - and in this case, in heat and humidity they are not acclimated to.

The rest (that I'm not going to touch), in order of level of confidence:
Eagles -6½ vs Colts ❌
Rams -7 vs Chargers ✅
Broncos +5½ at Ravens ❌
Titans +10 at Jaguars (letdown for Jax?) ✅
Niners +6½ at Chiefs ❌
Cardinals +5 vs Bears ✅
Giants +6½ at Texans ✅
Cowboys +1½ at Seahawks ❌
Bills +17 at Vikings ✅
Saints +2½ at Falcons ✅

I'm a big fan of teasers, just not yet sure how to play that angle yet (other than the Bucs).

Week 3 Scorecard:
Top Picks: 2-3, -350
Other Picks: 6-4
Week 3 Total: 8-7

Week 2: No Picks, Vacation
Week 1 Top Picks: 2-1-1, +280
Week 1 Other Picks: 6-5
Week 1 Total: 8-6-1

Season Totals:
Top Picks: 4-4-1, -70
Other Picks: 12-9
Total: 16-13-1

None of you can probably handle the kind of cheddar that I toss around on sports betting without ****ing your pants...

but I just dropped $10.00 large on the Steelers to cover +1.5

Whats up

I would three-point tease the Bucs line. I think the Bucs can still keep it within 4.5 points.

Shoulda laid some money down.

Shoulda laid some money down.
Six points added to either side would’ve cashed, tonight. Of course, you’d have to pair it with something else.

Six points added to either side would’ve cashed, tonight. Of course, you’d have to pair it with something else.

Not if it went into OT and was decided by a walk off TD....

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back