PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT-ish: The gambling thread

Not sure if anyone has seen the lines on some of the recent Astros games, but they have been setting records for largest lines in an MLB game.

-550, -525, etc. You have to lay down -225 just to get the RUN line down to -2. Absolutely psychotic.

From what I can tell, they are 1-2 in those matchups. One where Garrit Cole was pitching and lost, and one the other day where Verlander threw 9 innings and allowed 2 hits/2 runs, with 11 Ks, yet they lost again.

Also, for whatever it may be worth, I happened to notice that the spread in the CLE/TB game (football) started the day at CLE-3, but has continued to move throughout the day down to -2, -1, and is now sitting at even.

Again, I don’t want to steer anyone in the wrong direction, but it’s been a fairly quick and substantial movement in the past 8-12 hours or so. Maybe it’s nothing and the sharp money is wrong, but I thought that it was worth noting.

Bet Ticket: #68732758
Placed: 2019-08-01 00:55:08
NFC SOUTH DIVISION - TO WIN
[10262] ATLANTA FALCONS +375

Risk: $250
Return: $812.50

NFL OFFENSIVE ROOKIE OF THE YEAR
[10479] DAVID MONTGOMERY +2000

Risk: $50
Return: $1000

STRAIGHT BET
[10339] TOTAL O11-135 (PATRIOTS RSW Vrs PATRIOTS RSW)

Risk: $270
Return: $200

Cousins
Bet Ticket: #68756684
Placed: 2019-08-01 19:59:06
STRAIGHT BET
[10681] TOTAL O4050½-120 (OVER Vrs UNDER)

Risk: $240

Rivers
Bet Ticket: #68733245
Placed: 2019-08-01 01:37:09
STRAIGHT BET
[10699] TOTAL O4300½-130 (OVER Vrs UNDER)

Risk: $260

Bet Ticket: #68732760
Placed: 2019-08-01 00:55:19
STRAIGHT BET
[10303] TOTAL O9+105 (FALCONS RSW Vrs FALCONS RSW)

Risk: $200
Return: $210

Bet Ticket: #66600231
Placed: 2019-06-01 23:31:35
FIRST ROOKIE TO SCORE A TD (IN TERMS OF TEAMS MIN)
[97873] N KEAL HARRY +800

Risk: $25

Bet Ticket: #66600222
Placed: 2019-06-01 23:30:50
ROOKIE WR WITH THE MOST 1ST YEAR TDS
[97916] N KEAL HARRY +200

Risk: $50
Return: $100

Watson
Bet Ticket: #69555478
Placed: 2019-08-23 18:43:20
STRAIGHT BET
Game Date : Sep 01 - 1:00 PM
[10667] TOTAL O4075½-120 (OVER Vrs UNDER)

Risk: $120
Return: $100

STRAIGHT BET
Game Date : Sep 05 - 8:00 PM
[10348] TOTAL U6-120 (RAIDERS RSW Vrs RAIDERS RSW)

Risk: $200
Return: $166.67

STRAIGHT BET
Game Date : Sep 05 - 8:00 PM
[10308] TOTAL U7+105 (BILLS RSW Vrs BILLS RSW)

Risk: $100
Return: $105

Bucs +7.5 and Florida -1 55 to win 50
The Bucs were down 9-0 and couldn’t even convert a first down, yet somehow won 13-12. What a boring ass game.

I think a lot of people are going to try and tease FL down tomorrow. You’re sitting in a nice position since you got it out of the way, last night.

Honestly? You guys willing to bet money on preseason games scare me.

Mike Zimmer takes preseason as serious as it gets. Dude has a great record.

Look for teams w young QB(s) looking to see what they have. Those teams are actually trying.

There's money to be made there.

Preseason lol?

If you're not betting high school wrestling you're too cookie cutter for me.

That’s what I thought too, but there actually appears to be some value on some of these. I know that it sounds ridiculous, but here’s what I’m learning thus far:

—there appears to be some value on the unders. Maybe it’s just coincidence, but I’ve hit a few unders so far. I’m not carrying this idea over to week 4 though, as I think we may be more likely to see higher scoring games due to the quality of product on the field from guys who won’t be making the team.

—John Harbaugh has now won his past 16 straight preseason games. That tells me that BAL takes these a bit more seriously than the average coach.

—I’ve also been careful to check the QB depth charts 1-3 for each team. For example, I believe that our top three QBs are going to look better than most of the others. Again, I don’t know that I’d expect much of anything for week 4, as it is such a crap shoot.

—Following local news is helpful. For example, Chicago’s coach made everyone aware that they wouldn’t be using their starters the last game (or maybe it was the week before), and they announced this close to kickoff. That’s big. Another example is Indy announcing that neither Luck nor Brisset would be playing tomorrow, and yet they’re still -2.5 favorites. If the line goes up to -3 (or I can simply add an extra half point in exchange for worse odds, which the lack of options is pissing me off with both books that I’m using) I may take a shot with Indy’s opponent. Another example is SF announcing that Garroppolo is not only going to play the entire first half, but also may start the 3rd quarter. I haven’t checked the opponent or specifics of the line, but something like that can potentially be helpful.

One final example would be the NFL announcement that the OAK/GB game would be played on an 80 yd field. I didn’t pull the trigger because it was at 38.5 (again with the inability to purchase 1/2 point. Wtf) but the thought there was that the over was more prone to hitting. The final was 22-21, and the scoring slowed up significantly in the last 20 mins of the game, so the framework of the idea was there.

Last edited:
If you're not betting high school wrestling you're too cookie cutter for me.
I know that some of us would seriously bet the WNBA if we thought there was value. I couldn’t care less about what sport it is. I just want to be able to hit around 55% and make sure that I keep each wager the same amount so that I can slowly make a few bucks over time.

I believe that bankroll mgmt holds me back more than choosing spots, so I’m trying to be extra cautious about that aspect by maintaining discipline and predictably with my wager amounts.

Last edited:
The Bucs were down 9-0 and couldn’t even convert a first down, yet somehow won 13-12. What a boring ass game.

I think a lot of people are going to try and tease FL down tomorrow. You’re sitting in a nice position since you got it out of the way, last night.

I was gamecasting it and I kept seeing sack or run for minus yards. A very stressful first half.

I was thinking of putting Florida in another 2 team teaser but unless I see an nfl team I can tease up that I really like, I’ll probably just ride this out. I’ll be mad if Florida wins and then the team I tease them with tonight doesn’t cover

That’s what I thought too, but there actually appears to be some value on some of these. I know that it sounds ridiculous, but here’s what I’m learning thus far:

—there appears to be some value on the unders. Maybe it’s just coincidence, but I’ve hit a few unders so far. I’m not carrying this idea over to week 4 though, as I think we may be more likely to see higher scoring games due to the quality of product on the field from guys who won’t be making the team.

—John Harbaugh has now won his past 16 straight preseason games. That tells me that BAL takes these a bit more seriously than the average coach.

—I’ve also been careful to check the QB depth charts 1-3 for each team. For example, I believe that our top three QBs are going to look better than most of the others. Again, I don’t know that I’d expect much of anything for week 4, as it is such a crap shoot.

—Following local news is helpful. For example, Chicago’s coach made everyone aware that they wouldn’t be using their starters the last game (or maybe it was the week before), and they announced this close to kickoff. That’s big. Another example is Indy announcing that neither Luck nor Brisset would be playing tomorrow, and yet they’re still -2.5 favorites. If the line goes up to -3 (or I can simply add an extra half point in exchange for worse odds, which the lack of options is pissing me off with both books that I’m using) I may take a shot with Indy’s opponent. Another example is SF announcing that Garroppolo is not only going to play the entire first half, but also may start the 3rd quarter. I haven’t checked the opponent or specifics of the line, but something like that can potentially be helpful.

One final example would be the NFL announcement that the OAK/GB game would be played on an 80 yd field. I didn’t pull the trigger because it was at 38.5 (again with the inability to purchase 1/2 point. Wtf) but the thought there was that the over was more prone to hitting. The final was 22-21, and the scoring slowed up significantly in the last 20 mins of the game, so the framework of the idea was there.
Just to add to what I was saying before abt Zimmer. Hes like 17-8 ATS or something close to that. Pete has also taken it very seriously. I think he has like 35 wins lol.

Again I mentioned young QBs. Coaches & teams are going to want to see & showcase their new guys. They game plan for those guys even if its vanilla.

You mentioned John H. Another good one. Theres always money to be made if someone is betting.

Gambling is such a grind. Definitely not for everyone. I feel for men esp bc our egos really get in the way, specifically when it comes to sports.
Most think ..."I know football, basketball etc" so it only makes sense I should do well.
Chances are that person doesn't know anything abt the sport let alone the more nuanced points that could really help you. That's one of the biggest mistakes people make. Gambling isn't abt betting on the best teams or players. Its about betting the best #'s, finding value.

I'm constantly humbled by talking to people, players/explayers & coaches. Come away feeling like I was just schooled half the time.

I used to bet on everything & still do to an extent but since football has taken over (Basketball/Hockey were first loves) & become 24/7 I no longer bet the volume on anything besides football/basketball. Just too tough working full time/6 days-OT.

Definitely not saying this in any way but maybe lay off if its giving you anxiety or anything. That's no fun. Or find a different outlet like fantasy or pools for decent $ to lower the risk overall.
I feel like the bolded part should be highlighted again.

I like mucho gusto or owendale to win the travers. Have pick 3s and tris going. And win bets

I took non touchdown first score in the Florida game at plus 170 to win 85. I also took longest TD under 43.5. To win 25. I hope the defenses step up tonight. First game though, hopefully they won’t be sloppy

Also, for whatever it may be worth, I happened to notice that the spread in the CLE/TB game (football) started the day at CLE-3, but has continued to move throughout the day down to -2, -1, and is now sitting at even.

Again, I don’t want to steer anyone in the wrong direction, but it’s been a fairly quick and substantial movement in the past 8-12 hours or so.

—Following local news is helpful. For example, Chicago’s coach made everyone aware that they wouldn’t be using their starters the last game (or maybe it was the week before), and they announced this close to kickoff. That’s big.

Another example is Indy announcing that neither Luck nor Brisset would be playing tomorrow, and yet they’re still -2.5 favorites. If the line goes up to -3 (or I can simply add an extra half point in exchange for worse odds, which the lack of options is pissing me off with both books that I’m using) I may take a shot with Indy’s opponent.

Another example is SF announcing that Garroppolo is not only going to play the entire first half, but also may start the 3rd quarter.
I think there should be more than 4 preseason games next year.

Florida -7
AZ/Hawaii O73
No shame in going 1-1. I feel like I handicapped the Florida game right but you just can't predict 4 turnovers costing your team 13-17 points.... ugly game on both sides though, and if anyone still believes Florida is the #8 team in the nation, then I have some swampland off campus available cheap....

No shame in going 1-1. I feel like I handicapped the Florida game right but you just can't predict 4 turnovers costing your team 13-17 points.... ugly game on both sides though, and if anyone still believes Florida is the #8 team in the nation, then I have some swampland off campus available cheap....
I won both of my baseball games today (NYY+1.5 and MIL-124) and yet still somehow managed to partially screw that up by wasting money on a college football sucker bet. So disappointed that it was such a terrible choice in games. Win or lose, it would’ve been a terrible wager. I knew very little about either team, and honestly, just wanted to feel the excitement of the start of college ball. I let myself get pigeonholed in the one and only game on the slate (sans Hawaii). What a terrible decision.

Anyone put good money on Andrew Luck MVP prop bets?

I didn’t bet the Arizona hawaii game. Carter Blackburn is insufferable. That voice is insufferable when you’re losing a bet. What a game though

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back