PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT - How Stats Can Mislead: Who is the only NFL QB to throw for 400+ yards in 3 straight games?

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldrover

"You're gonna have to serve somebody..."
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
WhirlwindWhichFinwhale-max-1mb.gif

I thought Cassel did it in 2008?

I saw this headline this morning.. really impressive, but at the same time it's amazing to me that this feat has not been accomplished before.

I agree with @KontradictioN . The stat isn’t misleading...it’s just worthless. Now, Mahomes with 13 TDs in first three games, that shows some dominance. 400-yard games are often the result of early mistakes/turnovers from a competent quarterback. I have no doubt that a handful of elite QBs would throw for 400 yards every week if they started the game moving the ball well but turned it over a few times and got into 2-3 TD defecit.

In this case it's telling though, IMO. Fitz obviously has been the definition of an average QB his whole career and until now he's mostly known for coming from Harvard. But the Bucs went 2-1 when they were heavy underdogs against all three teams, and he almost brought them back in the loss last night. This is the best he's done his whole career and he's having fun doing it.

Certainly he deserves to keep his job even after sexual assault Winston comes back next week.

You need to hit a lot of big plays.. so you need big play receivers.. good for him.

It’s not that the stat is misleading, it’s that people understanding of what the stat means is wrong. That goes for most football stats btw.

Let's just call it what it is.

Ryan Fitzpatrick is an average (at best) quarterback, but in that three game span he was pretty darn good. Are we trying to suggest he wasn't good in those three games?

I don't think it's misleading to think a quarterback had great stats when he was playing well.

Nothing misleading there. Fitzpatrick in a contract year plays like a legend, worthy of being mentioned in the same breath as Montana, Elway, and Rodgers.

It's when he's signed for a few more years he plays like the Peterman and Tannehills of the world. :):p:D;)

High passing yardage usually indicates that a quarterback is forced to come from far behind in a game. Moreover, that the game is usually lost.

TD/INT ratio much more closely correlates with winning then does total passing yards. Thus, what Mahomes has done this year, and what Brady and Rodgers have done throughout their careers, is much more impressive, or at least much more conducive to winning.

He did it twice in a row, in a loss then in a win, which shows how worthless this stat is

Matt Cassel 2008 Game Log | Pro-Football-Reference.com

Cassell throwing for 415 down in Miami is still one of my favorite games. I loved the fight the team showed in '08. That was a fun season in of itself...we shoulda made the play-offs that year...I felt we could have given the Steelers a better game the 2nd time around (remember Slater had terrible fumbles).

Not misleading at all

High passing yardage usually indicates that a quarterback is forced to come from far behind in a game. Moreover, that the game is usually lost.

TD/INT ratio much more closely correlates with winning then does total passing yards. Thus, what Mahomes has done this year, and what Brady and Rodgers have done throughout their careers, is much more impressive, or at least much more conducive to winning.

There was a good stat last year that showed that Brady's W-L when throwing 400+ passing yards is much higher than average (and maybe anyone else?). I just spent a couple minutes looking for the data but couldn't find them immediately, but I remember it coming up last year.

There was a good stat last year that showed that Brady's W-L when throwing 400+ passing yards is much higher than average (and maybe anyone else?). I just spent a couple minutes looking for the data but couldn't find them immediately, but I remember it coming up last year.

That and also when he drops back to pass 50 or more times. Most QBs have a losing record when that happens.

Other quarterbacks pass when they’re losing, Tom Brady passes to win

What really sets Brady apart is that the Patriots’ record when he throws 50 or more passes is 19-9. No other quarterback in NFL history has come close to that kind of success when passing a lot.

Drew Brees is second in NFL history, throwing 50 or more passes in 19 games. His teams’ record in those games is 4-15.

Peyton Manning is third in NFL history, with 50 or more passes in 17 games. His teams’ record in those games is 4-13.

Dan Marino is fourth in NFL history with 16 games of 50 passes or more. His teams’ record in those games was 5-11.

Brady has won six postseason games when throwing 50 or more passes. No other quarterback in NFL history has won more than once when throwing 50 or more passes in the postseason.

Brady has won 13 regular-season games when throwing 50 or more passes passes. No other quarterback in NFL history has won more than five games when throwing 50 or more passes in the regular season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back