PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Fields looked really good in preseason debut

They faced Brees when he clearly was on his legs. He made Cam Newton look like a good passer at that point. And he faced Mahomes without his starting tackles and him with a significant turf toe injury that required surgery after the season. Again, that goes to them having the breaks on their way to a Super Bowl.

Uh huh. Brees against the Bucs in November was 26/32, 222 yards, 4 TDs, 0 INTs. I've acknowledged that Brees was limited, but that didn't stop the Saints from scoring 482 points. The week before in a playoff game against the Bears, Brees was 28/39, 265, 2 TDs, 0 INTs; the game before that, he was 22/32, 22 yards, 3 TDs, 0 INTs. Nice hindsight take acting like Brees was wheeled out there as a corpse when in fact despite his problems, that offense was still one of the hardest in the league to stop. I get it...he was magically bad at certain times when it suits your argument.

Injury to Mahomes? Did you see how much he scrambled in the Super Bowl? He was fine. He broke off a few first downs early on and then famously razzle dazzled all game in the backfield, weaving and dodging. Did the Bucs have a certain starting QB playing on a torn MCL?

Oh, here comes the "but, he played with it all year!" rationalization, which actually just adds to the point that they weren't as lucky as you're arguing.

You're the board's Andy Jr. You'll stop at nothing to prove you're right, even when clear counter evidence is presented.

Hillarious...which Super Bowl winning teams in recent memory would prefer to play the 2021 Saints, Packers, and Chiefs over the schedule they faced?

None.

Those teams were a combined 39-8 and averaged close to 500 points per season between the three of them.

Uh huh. Brees against the Bucs in November was 26/32, 222 yards, 4 TDs, 0 INTs. I've acknowledged that Brees was limited, but that didn't stop the Saints from scoring 482 points. The week before in a playoff game against the Bears, Brees was 28/39, 265, 2 TDs, 0 INTs; the game before that, he was 22/32, 22 yards, 3 TDs, 0 INTs. Nice hindsight take acting like Brees was wheeled out there as a corpse when in fact despite his problems, that offense was still one of the hardest in the league to stop. I get it...he was magically bad at certain times when it suits your argument.

Injury to Mahomes? Did you see how much he scrambled in the Super Bowl? He was fine. He broke off a few first downs early on and then famously razzle dazzled all game in the backfield, weaving and dodging. Did the Bucs have a certain starting QB playing on a torn MCL?

Oh, here comes the "but, he played with it all year!" rationalization, which actually just adds to the point that they weren't as lucky as you're arguing.

You're the board's Andy Jr. You'll stop at nothing to prove you're right, even when clear counter evidence is presented.

Mahomes had toe surgery on February 10th. Less than a week after the Super Bowl. Just because he was running around doesn't mean he was moving at full speed or able to plant his foot correctly on throws. Again, people didn't even know if he was going to play in the Super Bowl immediately after Championship weekend.

And Brees clearly was not the same player he once was all year. From the start of the year, he had problems throwing the ball more than 5-10 yards down the field. He just was completely done by the end of the season. But thanks for pointing out that Brees was no longer elite even early in the season.

And Brady played almost two seasons with that torn MCL. Let's not act like he tore it in the NFCCG. It clearly wasn't an issue for him.

And this isn't about the Bucs being one of the best teams in the league which they are. This is about Deus' ridiculous claim that the Bucs are such a historically good team that no rookie QB is ready to play them. Even if they are the best team in the league this year, they are not a historically great team.

Mahomes had toe surgery on February 10th. Less than a week after the Super Bowl. Just because he was running around doesn't mean he was moving at full speed or able to plant his foot correctly on throws. Again, people didn't even know if he was going to play in the Super Bowl immediately after Championship weekend.

And Brady played almost two seasons with that torn MCL. Let's not act like he tore it in the NFCCG. It clearly wasn't an issue for him.

Silly boy. At least try to avoid contradicting yourself in such a transparent manner, in the same post.

You're currently at 2004 Colts fan levels of delusion.

Silly boy. At least try to avoid contradicting yourself in such a transparent manner, in the same post.

You're currently at 2004 Colts fan levels of delusion.

No I am not. I am just not in the Brady cult like you are. I have said the Bucs deserved their win and they are one of the top teams in the league if not the top team. I think it is comical that Deus thinks that they are so good that no rookie QB is ready to face them this season. That is silly talk. I think if any of the rookie first round QBs reach anywhere close to their early career potential this year, any of them can hang with the Bucs and potentially beat them.

I am not saying anything I wouldn't say about the Patriots. The Patriots had a lot of luck and good breaks over the years in their Super Bowl seasons. The Pats clearly wouldn't have won the Super Bowl in the 2001 season if the refs called Brady's "fumble" a fumble and they would have been a wild card team if David Patton didn't make a reception while he was unconscious on the ground with the ball sputtering out of bounds. I think there was season where the Pats faced the Steelers without Bettis because the trainer accidentally missed the spot in a pain injection in the groin area and Bettis couldn't play because of it. And on the opposite side of the equation, the Giants got to face the Pats with Brady having a high ankle sprain in the 2007 season. They benefitted from Terrell Owens being far less than 100% in the first Super Bowl vs. the Eagles. You can find plenty of examples where a Super Bowl winner benefitted from things of being lucky over good in individual moments and games.

The Bucs are a superteam. They've played a full season together, figured out that running the ball was necessary and not having false starts and offsides penalties was equally important... they won a ring. Assuming health they have no weakness. They'll be tough for anyone to beat. After them KC is the next closest thing to a superteam in the NFL and the best team in the AFC assuming health.

It's not shocking to say that either Cam or Mac will have a hard time beating these guys, not only that but BB teams typically start off slow the first four games of the regular season. IMO Cam should start the first four games of the year, those are four tough defenses and Mac can watch and learn. That being said if Cam starts off slow, turns the ball over or gets hurt... this all goes out the window. In which case the regular season will be a trial by fire for the rookie.

So it was someone else who made the ridiculous claim that no rookie QB is ready to face the Bucs? Did you get the idiot's name who did so we can both tell him that he made some of the most asinine posts in the history of exhibition season analysis.

Did you hear him Bill? Don't start Mac Jones vs the Bucs or he will be mentally damaged forever.
First, you really need to read for comprehension. Second, you really need to read for comprehension.

To be fair, Rob used to be a good poster. He **** the bed a long time back, but he wasn't always terrible like this.

To be fair, Rob used to be a good poster. He **** the bed a long time back, but he wasn't always terrible like this.

So you are saying I turned into you? That might be the biggest insult you ever given me.

And stop with that BS. Even when you were *****ing endlessly about how a 35 year old Brady only had a few years left and Belichick was wasting him, you were spewing the same "You used to be a good poster, but now you are a hack BS". You act was old then and it is old now.

First, you really need to read for comprehension. Second, you really need to read for comprehension.

Really?!? Here are your posts that says otherwise:

He's not ready to be leading a team against the Bucs. Keeping him away from that game is "upside".

To follow this up:

None of the 1st round rookie QBs are ready to face the Bucs. And it's not something shameful that they aren't. The Bucs are the defending SB champions, and have a very good defense.

And before you play the semantics game that you just mean these five rookie QBs and not any rookie QB, just remember people think Trevor Lawrence is a generational talent.

Just skimming the thread. What is the argument here? The Bucs aren't really that good?

9/1980 yards4.2 avg2 sacks59.1 QB Rating

Should we still have taken Fields over Mac, asking for a friend?

Last edited:
Seriously?

My brothers are all bears fans, they came crashing back to earth
Fields was not the problem today. Brady/Mahomes/Rodgers on their best days would have looked bad behind the Bears' second-string offensive line. I was wondering why the Bills were blitzing on every down, as that is not something that would be replicated in the regular season. I then realized that the Bills weren't. It just looked that way because the Bears' line offered absolutely no resistance to a normal pass rush. It's to Fields' credit that he wasn't carted off and taken to the hospital.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
Back