PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: ESPN ranks most dominant athletes in the past 20 years

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was by far the most poorly put together list I've ever seen. How can you say a player is more dominant and not take the...

SinfulReasonableHyracotherium-max-1mb.gif

into consideration???

This was just a dog and pony show simply to get attention/arguments and Peyton's forehead some more exposure.

Yep him and a formula one driver are more dominant athletes.

Not only outraged for toms sake. No Jordan, no bird, no Pedro. The list is over rated toilet paper. How you get a list of 20 most dominant athletes without Jordan on it at all and brady outranked by car drivers and female golfers is simply the dumbest thing they’ve ever done
Since it's based on the last 20 years I can see no Larry and MJ as LB was done in 92 and Michael in 98 (20 years ago).

I totally forgot about Pedro. From 97 to 03 he was so far beyond his contemporaries its crazy.

As much as he is a slime, Kobe needs to be on this list. Duncan too.

Yeah Pedro, roger Clemons, Magic Johnson, Richard dent. For women athletes, where’s Martina Navratilova? Stephie graff . That crazy gymnast from the 80s? Where’s the great one from hockey?

Barry Bonds ranked higher than brady lol

Last edited:
I was laughing hard at this this morning. Even Federer at 5 is a slap in the face. Was this guy on LSD?

Since it's based on the last 20 years I can see no Larry and MJ as LB was done in 92 and Michael in 98 (20 years ago).

I totally forgot about Pedro. From 97 to 03 he was so far beyond his contemporaries its crazy.

As much as he is a slime, Kobe needs to be on this list. Duncan too.

Oh hell, that’s right! Guess I messed up on time line.. started thinking they meant all time

Mayweather never lost a fight and his last fight (even though it was a bit of a joke) was last Aug and his earliest professional fight was in 1996. His career started earlier and ended later than Peyton Manning. AND HE NEVER LOST. Outside the top 5.

Meanwhile Klitschko is 64-5 with 2 of those losses being his last 2 fights (similarly by comparison Muhhamad Ali was 56-5 likewise with 2 of his losses being the last two). HE'S NOT EVEN ON THE LIST.

And those are in a sport where you don't have a team that can dictate whether you win or lose or how good your stats are.

Profoundly stupid list. Lebron didn't even surpass Kobe as the best player in the league until 2008-2009, so he gets top 2 when he wasn't even the best in his sport for nearly half or more of the timeframe? What? Granted I don't have a problem honoring him, he's clearly dominant.

Similarly, Tiger Woods hasn't won a major since 2008. So for nearly 10 years of the past 20 he's been a joke.

Going back to Peyton, so you acknwoledge that stats are inflated now, but the specifically count the regular season where stat inflation is worse because you play a greater variety of teams, BUT DON'T COUNT PLAYOFFS WHERE YOU ARE AT LEAST HAVING YOUR STATS MEASURED AGAINST THE TOP 1/3RD OF THE LEAGUE? How does that methodology make sense?

Phelps whose the most dominant Olympian of all time and who broke Ancient Olympic records isn't even on the list.

Barry Bonds retired 10 years ago so he wasn't even active for half of the 20 year criteria. And realistically if we are being honest, we know the latter part of his career (at least 7 years of the only 10 years he was active, he was on steroids). So realistically there are like 3 years where Bonds was both active and likely not on steroids that can be counted in this. I'd have no problem if this was a 20 year list from 1988-2008 and you got Bonds whole career in there and because of that you were more forgiving of the steroids because of how dominant he was before and you can make the "everyone was doing it argument". But when he's not even active for half of it and you can't count anything but his most questionable years it makes the list of jokes.

Let's not even get to all the race car drivers.

Just a terrible list

lolololololololololol

No Michael Phelps either. He is probably #1. Nadal not on there, but Djokovic is.

What a complete clown list. I'm surprised Eli isn't#4.

Tiger woods was the most dominant athlete ever. And I’m not even a tiger fan. I’m a phil/jack guy.

Tiger was so dominant. The bet was him against the field. He intimidated people. Easily the correct pick at number 1.

Brady’s career to me isn’t defined by domination. Winning yes, but not dominant. Manning’s more flashy. Certainly overrated on the list.

lolololololololololol

No Michael Phelps either. He is probably #1. Nadal not on there, but Djokovic is.

What a complete clown list. I'm surprised Eli isn't#4.

What did nadal ever dominate. Guys dominant on a surface no one cares about. And all he does is make excuses and WD

I didn't realize than anyone really gives a **** about what these morons wrote. I guess I was mistaken.

I didn't realize than anyone really gives a **** about what these morons wrote. I guess I was mistaken.
The list is so ridiculous that I honestly believe they were trolling for Twitter and social media mentions and discussions like this.

I don't know, when I hear dominant, I think players who are so impossibly good that they force other teams or players to completely change the way they play, or just can't be beat normally.

It's hard to think of quarterbacks as dominant because they're not going one-on-one with other players, and none of them are going to be head and shoulders above others. As such, I'd leave all quarterbacks off this list.

In my mind, Gronk is probably the most dominant football player of the last 20 years. The only way to defend him is to interfere with him or hold him. Similarly, I'd name Shaq as the most dominant (but not "best") basketball player of the modern era for that reason. Tiger was just heads and shoulders above his position and augured in an era of athletic golfers. Phelps was an impossibly good swimmer.

It's hard to argue with a lot of the people on the list. I'd probably put Serena higher. The one thing I'll say is it's weird to have multiple players from the same sport whose primes overlapped as dominant. So either Messi or Ronaldo; Djokovic or Federer. Not both.

Curious absence of hockey players on the list, too. Surely one of Dominik Hasek, Martin Brodeur (since Hasek's prime was largely outside of the 20 year window), Nicklas Lidstrom, Alexander Ovechkin, or Sidney Crosby belonged. I'd still probably put in Hasek.

Last edited:
I don't know, when I hear dominant, I think players who are so impossibly good that they force other teams or players to completely change the way they play, or just can't be beat normally.

It's hard to think of quarterbacks as dominant because they're not going one-on-one with other players, and none of them are going to be head and shoulders above others. As such, I'd leave all quarterbacks off this list.

In my mind, Gronk is probably the most dominant football player of the last 20 years. The only way to defend him is to interfere with him or hold him. Similarly, I'd name Shaq as the most dominant (but not "best") basketball player of the modern era for that reason. Tiger was just heads and shoulders above his position and augured in an era of athletic golfers. Phelps was an impossibly good swimmer.
Kobe Bryant and Michael Jordan too if we’re just talking about athletes during that era.

ESPN clickbait.....sorry not playing...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back