PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: ESPN ranks most dominant athletes in the past 20 years

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know, when I hear dominant, I think players who are so impossibly good that they force other teams or players to completely change the way they play, or just can't be beat normally.

It's hard to think of quarterbacks as dominant because they're not going one-on-one with other players, and none of them are going to be head and shoulders above others. As such, I'd leave all quarterbacks off this list.

In my mind, Gronk is probably the most dominant football player of the last 20 years. The only way to defend him is to interfere with him or hold him. Similarly, I'd name Shaq as the most dominant (but not "best") basketball player of the modern era for that reason. Tiger was just heads and shoulders above his position and augured in an era of athletic golfers. Phelps was an impossibly good swimmer.

It's hard to argue with a lot of the people on the list. I'd probably put Serena higher. The one thing I'll say is it's weird to have multiple players from the same sport whose primes overlapped as dominant. So either Messi or Ronaldo; Djokovic or Federer. Not both.

Curious absence of hockey players on the list, too. Surely one of Dominik Hasek, Nicklas Lidstrom, Alexander Ovechkin, or Sidney Crosby belonged.

Definitely agree with that. Football is the ultimate team game.

Brady, Woods, Messi/Ronaldo, Federer, Phelps

That's my top 5 I wouldn't even be mad if any of those were ahead of Brady. Everyone else whose ahead of him is ridiculous.

In my mind, Gronk is probably the most dominant football player of the last 20 years. The only way to defend him is to interfere with him or hold him. Similarly, I'd name Shaq as the most dominant (but not "best") basketball player of the modern era for that reason. Tiger was just heads and shoulders above his position and augured in an era of athletic golfers. Phelps was an impossibly good swimmer.

Two thoughts here:

(1) When I saw the title, the first NFL athlete that came to mind was, in fact, GRONK.

(2) I think it's a tossup on Shaq vs. LeBron for most dominant NBA player of the last 20 years. But I think, relative to his era, the most dominant NBA player ever may have been George Mikan.

In my mind, Gronk is probably the most dominant football player of the last 20 years. The only way to defend him is to interfere with him or hold him. Similarly, I'd name Shaq as the most dominant (but not "best") basketball player of the modern era for that reason. Tiger was just heads and shoulders above his position and augured in an era of athletic golfers. Phelps was an impossibly good swimmer

I'd put Moss in there to. He changed the game more than Gronk has and he was easily the most dominant skills-position offensive weapon for a good decade. It was 'Mossed' before it was 'Gronked'.

Agree that Pedro should be there, at least over Trout. Trout is good, but he doesn't belong in a 'most dominant of the last 2 decades' conversation. Trout is really really good, Pedro had a historically dominating stretch.

LeChoke and Forehead are ESPN’s love children. Putting LeChoke near the top with no MJ (who was way more dominant) is farcical. Hell LeChoke isn’t even on Kobe’s level.

The list is completely insane, race car drivers and golfers? Really?

I didn't read it, won't give them the click. But for the life of me I cannot understand the politics behind why they have such a distaste for TB. Just another one of those things that i can't wrap my head around.

What about randy moss? I thought he was pretty dominant

Shaun white?
Michael Phelps?
Ronnie O Sullivan. Ok maybe not technically an athlete.

As I type this there are 53 posts on this thread. If it managed to give bspn 52 more clicks on that ridiculous excrement that would still be 52 more than it merited in total.

I'm surprised no Michael Phelps.

Also, are NASCAR drivers really athletes?

Shouldn't we do this to them?

hill1.jpeg

Putting Brady at #1-#3 doesn't get people talking. Putting him at #20 does.

They'll accomplish what they set out with this list. Shame people will fall for the BSPN trope tactic

By the way here is their "explanation on Brady/Manning"

For one thing, today's QB stats are steadily inflating. (There were 1.72 passing touchdowns for every interception in the NFL last season, up from 1.29 20 years ago.) For another, Brady wasn't really Brady-automatic Pro Bowler and MVP candidate-until 2007. Result: Manning considerably outpaces him when measured by yardsticks that don't depend on era, like MVPs (5-3), first-team All-Pro selections (7-3) and number of seasons throwing for 4 percent or more of the league's passing TDs (12-9, adjusted for number of teams). Then there's this: In evaluating players, we considered regular-season stats only, since there's no good way to compare playoffs across sports.

Yes. Let's not bring into account the games where championships are won. Nope let's just based it off of how Manning had a tit-division paying at least 10 games in a dome and another 2 in Jacksonville every year for a decade

Well, Joe Thornton belongs on there representing hockey...

Yep him and a formula one driver are more dominant athletes.

Not only outraged for toms sake. No Jordan, no bird, no Pedro. The list is over rated toilet paper. How you get a list of 20 most dominant athletes without Jordan on it at all and brady outranked by car drivers and female golfers is simply the dumbest thing they’ve ever done

Accurate headline would read: Patriots Fake Controversies

...and remarks from an anchor referenced an incorrect allegation about the Patriots filming the Rams' walkthrough before Super Bowl XXXVI.

At least BSPN apologized afterward...

...did you hear that, Mort?...

Last edited:
LeChoke and Forehead are ESPN’s love children. Putting LeChoke near the top with no MJ (who was way more dominant) is farcical. Hell LeChoke isn’t even on Kobe’s level.

The list is completely insane, race car drivers and golfers? Really?

It's the last 20 years, so unless you're stumping for Wizards Jordan...

And yeah, those race car drivers have been dominant in their sports.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes