PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Denver Trades for Jets’ Wilson

I mean, they're paying $53 mil in cap space to a guy on the Steelers, so they sure can't afford to fill out the position with superstars.

And this is one more lesson about why our pick number 3 is no guarantee to get us a good QB.
Or in Ian’s post today about the pressure on the Vikings needing to trade up: they have Sam Darnold penciled in as the QB, the third pick in the 2018 draft by the Jets.

Hey, that’s just like us this draft!

The lessons are twofold: fix the OL before getting the hyped for franchise QB. And the hype is often wrong.

There was a consensus that both Darnold and Wilson (#2) were home run picks.

Last edited:
Wilson's like a lottery ticket. If he can figure it out, he can be a great QB. Those are long odds that this will happen. At least he's not a head case like Manziel.
Agreed. I believe Wilson is talented . His biggest problem is his maturity and leadership abilities. Maybe Payton can get him on the right path.

This terrifies me about my QB scouting skills.

But Wilson, Stidham, Luck, Lock and Josh Allen are the QBs I’ve loved the most over the last 10 years.
For me you could add Josh Rosen. I thought he was going to be great.

Last edited:
Agreed. I believe Wilson is talented . His biggest problem is his maturity and leadership abilities. Maybe Payton can get him on the right path.
Yes. So did the Patriots try swapping Wilson and Corky? Wilson maturing as QB2 holds at least a little promise.

Last edited:
Yes. So did the Patriots try swapping Wilson and Corky? Wilson maturing as QB2 hold at a little promise.
You make a valid point. I wonder if they did try? In the case of Wilson he was actually given so many opportunities to thrive.. great weapons offense.. a dam good defense.. like Mac likely a change of scenery was likely best for him. Getting away from NYC and going to the mountains

That, and throwing it to the other team... Not sure anyone can fix that for Milfson or for Corky either.

Yes. So did the Patriots try swapping Wilson and Corky? Wilson maturing as QB2 hold at a little promise.
You make a valid point. I wonder if they did try? In the case of Wilson he was actually given so many opportunities to thrive.. great weapons offense.. a dam good defense.. like Mac likely a change of scenery was likely best for him. Getting away from NYC and going to the mountains
That, and throwing it to the other team... Not sure anyone can fix that for Milfson or for Corky either.
In the case of Mac he was playing scared worried about getting benched wich led to him throwing INTS.. Wilson just straight up gave no Fs...

I read it differently... the Jets are sending Wilson AND a 7th to Denver for a 6th. They're also picking up some of his year 4 salary.
Which means the Pats got more. They straight up got a 6 and didn't eat any of his remaining contract.

• Agree
Reactions: sb1
And this is one more lesson about why our pick number 3 is no guarantee to get us a good QB.
That said, it's not a given that other options are going to have a better chance of landing a good QB.

Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
Back