PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Dan Orlovsky Top 5 QB's Of All Time

Orlovsky has Mahomes at #2 all-time. Not just "close to the top" but #2. Which is outrageous.

Orlovsky doesn't have Montana in his top 5 all-time. While including 0 Lombardi's Marino. Which is totally outrageous.

Orlovsky's list is #1 on the worst list of all-time QB rankings that I've ever seen.

I wouldn't have Manning or Elway on the Top 5 either, to be honest. Having Mahomes in there....ehhhhh...it's the same song and dance from ten years ago when it was fashionable to give Rodgers that spot. Where is he now? An afterthought before his career is even over. I'm not saying Mahomes can't be a Top 5, but we're a long way from that at this point.

Brady is #1

Pick four out of these in some order and I wouldn't fight that hard:

Montana
Unitas
Staubach (why do people forget this guy?)
Graham
Baugh

Umm... Okay... Talking about the 50... That was just ... Yeah... Hmmm

let me ask a few friends... Siskle? Ebert? whatcha think?

:headscratch: ... :headscratch:

The Frank Schwab one is arguably worse…an actual football writer with an “all-time” list of

Brees
Montana
Manning
Rodgers
Brady

Edit: Actually it isn’t arguably worse. That Medium list is like the Mona Lisa of bad rankings.

Last edited:
The Frank Schwab one is arguably worse…an actual football writer with an “all-time” list of

Brees
Montana
Manning
Rodgers
Brady
Yeah, stuff like that schwab article is an "I gotta get 300 words out tonight" article... But the other dude? ranking a top 50? that's a lot of work... most people couldn't name 50 qbs... but if they could, those lists would be better than that one... Eli? top 10 of all time? oof... Its a hot mess...

I only ever judge lists like this as players I’ve seen and remember in my lifetime and who passed the eye test. I was too young to see Montana play as a 49er, so my top 5 has stood for awhile:

1. Brady
2. Manning
3. Elway
4. Favre
5. Rodgers

It is unfair for Mahomes to be placed this high only five years into his career.
Mahomes been to the AFCCG every year he's been a starter in the NFL and has been to 2 Super Bowls and won one. He's already better than Favre and Rodgers.

Here's my list:

1. Brady
2. Manning

Brees
Montana
Manning
Rodgers
Brady

Edit: Actually it isn’t arguably worse. That Medium list is like the Mona Lisa of bad rankings.
Lol, I see why that list irks you w/ Brees in the top 5. Where did he end up on your final list? Everytime you tweaked your list Brees kept dropping. Next thing I knew you had Benny Friedman ahead of him. I was like WTF? When I Googled him, this dude popped up. That's when I knew you hate Brees. Lmao

SmartSelect_20230204_193027_Firefox.jpg

Lol, I see why that list irks you w/ Brees in the top 5. Where did he end up on your final list? Everytime you tweaked your list Brees kept dropping. Next thing I knew you had Benny Friedman ahead of him. I was like WTF? When I Googled him, this dude popped up. That's when I knew you hate Brees. Lmao

You can’t tell the story of the evolution of the QB position without Bennie Friedman. The ball was like a watermelon and the rules discouraged forward passes, but he managed to throw by far more TDs than anyone else and built gameplans around the forward pass. The Giants bought an entire franchise just to acquire him. He was the first true passing QB and basically created the passing QB model.

You can tell the story of the NFL from 2000-20 without mentioning Drew Brees and wouldn’t miss that much. A championship, a whole bunch of volume stats and some cool milestones. He’s around 15 all-time, around 10 of just SB era. Everyone says “he’s top 5” until they actually have to build a top 5 and realize not everyone can be top 5. Only 5. You seem to think I hate Brees, but it’s more to do with appreciating the higher ranked QBs more because they had a bigger impact.

You can’t tell the story of the evolution of the QB position without Bennie Friedman. The ball was like a watermelon and the rules discouraged forward passes, but he managed to throw by far more TDs than anyone else and built gameplans around the forward pass. The Giants bought an entire franchise just to acquire him. He was the first true passing QB and basically created the passing QB model.

You can tell the story of the NFL from 2000-20 without mentioning Drew Brees and wouldn’t miss that much. A championship, a whole bunch of volume stats and some cool milestones. He’s around 15 all-time, around 10 of just SB era. Everyone says “he’s top 5” until they actually have to build a top 5 and realize not everyone can be top 5. Only 5. You seem to think I hate Brees, but it’s more to do with appreciating the higher ranked QBs more because they had a bigger impact.
I know, just joking man.

@Ice_Ice_Brady is 100% correct that Brees is overrated by many. He belongs in the 15-17 range. Probably around 9-10 if you’re only doing guys who played a bulk of their career in the Super Bowl era.

172-114 Regular Season Record (.601%)
9-9 Playoff Record. Here’s what the Saints offense did in the playoffs beginning in the 2013 Divisional Round

15 points
31 points (dome)
24 points (dome)
20 points (dome)
23 points (dome)
20 points (dome)
21 points (dome)
20 points (dome)

0 MVPs. For years I thought Brees was straight up robbed of the 2009 MVP. But then I looked at everything with him and Manning, and I hate to admit it, but Manning was a very deserving winner. This wasn’t a 2021 Brady situation.

I think Brees is quite clearly the 4th best quarterback of his own era. And he’ll soon be passed by Mahomes.

Orlovsky has Mahomes at #2 all-time. Not just "close to the top" but #2. Which is outrageous.

Orlovsky doesn't have Montana in his top 5 all-time. While including 0 Lombardi's Marino. Which is totally outrageous.

Orlovsky's list is #1 on the worst list of all-time QB rankings that I've ever seen.

I think it is a bad list. Never said otherwise. But putting Mahomes in the top 5 isn’t that crazy. At #2, it is way over valuing him. At 4 or 5, it wouldn’t be crazy. He wouldn’t be in my top 5, but I can see someone making a case for it.

And yes, Montana should be on any top 5 list probably at #2.

But this is exactly want Orlovsky probably wanted. He wanted the clip to go viral and have people talk about it all over the country. It is called a hot take. Look it up.

At this point Brady, Manning and Montana have to be the top three, I really can't see an argument for anyone else. The rest are all based on personal preference. Mahomes will very likely make a push to be in that select group before it's all said and done, but to put him at 2 now is bonkers.

One guy I think will be thought of much less favorably in the future than he is now is Rodgers. Lack of playoff success plus a lot of young QBs coming up in a friendly passing environment that will make them put up insane rate/efficiency stats to rival or surpass his will likely make his legacy seem not as impressive in hindsight. Even worse for Brees, who doesn't even have Rodgers' MVPs.

Brees is a different sort of cat... He has the stats and moderate post season success to be ranked highly... And it's a bonus to his credit that he took down manning in what was arguably his best super bowl performance...

He also lacked the physical attributes many other qbs of this era enjoy... ie he's short... Pfr has him listed at 6 feet even... The guy running the physical that day must have let him keep his sneakers on when measuring his height...

But what gets me about Brees is he never really took control of that division... Up and down ... Had a good run in 09, 10 and 11... But after that, back to the .500 mark... Injuries not withstanding, those were some talented teams he could never get over the hump...

Top ten of his era, but top 5? I'd have to really look at the other guys before deciding if he ranks that high... As other have pointed out, there was a lot of stat padding in some pretty lean years record wise in the big easy...

There's no way you can put Mahomes in the top 5. Not yet. Can he get there? Absolutely. Will he be there when he retires? Probably. But to put him ahead of Manning Elway Marino and Montana is ridiculous. I'd also still have Farve, Brees, and Rodgers over him too.

Brees
Montana
Manning
Rodgers
Brady

Why are Brees and Rodgers there instead of Marino?

There's no way you can put Mahomes in the top 5. Not yet. Can he get there? Absolutely. Will he be there when he retires? Probably. But to put him ahead of Manning Elway Marino and Montana is ridiculous. I'd also still have Farve, Brees, and Rodgers over him too.
If Mahomes wins it this year, I put him ahead of Elway, but that still doesn't make him top 5.

People are shocked when they look at Elway's actual stats. Not pretty. Different era, but when you're throwing a lot of INTs constantly and few TDs, that ain't good.

brady at the top

some version of montana/manning/unitas/marino in the next 4 slots

do we expect mahomes to crack that top 5 by the time he's done?

not so sure.....maybe.......but he's well on the outside looking in right now

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back