PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Dan Orlovsky Top 5 QB's Of All Time

Mahomes/Allen etc. racking up slot machine numbers like their predecessors Fouts & Marino.

You really trust any of them, or Elway/Young Aikman/Kelly/Favre to win a football game?

They'll fire away and try their best. Rodgers doesn't belong in the conversation. Manning, top ten? No.

What separates the best is what's between their ears, what's beating in their chest, and how they involve, engage, and LEAD their teammates. It's a team game.

Mahomes/Allen etc. racking up slot machine numbers like their predecessors Fouts & Marino.

You really trust any of them, or Elway/Young Aikman/Kelly/Favre to win a football game?

They'll fire away and try their best. Rodgers doesn't belong in the conversation. Manning, top ten? No.

What separates the best is what's between their ears, what's beating in their chest, and how they involve, engage, and LEAD their teammates. It's a team game.
Last sentence is a winner.

Mahomes is not as good as Tarkenton. Maybe later.

The guy was good for six minutes of a Super Bowl, aided by PI.

I may have missed your point, but I would literally trust every QB you listed to win me a game. Favre would be the only QB that would give me pause.

Mahomes is not as good as Tarkenton. Maybe later.

The guy was good for six minutes of a Super Bowl, aided by PI.
My first thought was to disagree, but different times, different rules. Nobody could scramble like Tarkenton.

I may have missed your point, but I would literally trust every QB you listed to win me a game. Favre would be the only QB that would give me pause.
Favre lost some big games with bone head plays. Giants in 2007, Vikings/Saints a field goal sends them to SB and he throws a bad interception.

Favre lost some big games with bone head plays. Giants in 2007, Vikings/Saints a field goal sends them to SB and he throws a bad interception.
That Vikings NFCCG, he'd hurt his ankle the previous play and was limping around. Completely stupid not to have him hand it off for at least two plays. Not his fault at all.

He was the reason the Vikings were even there.

Of the dudes he listed, I would only trust Young because he actually did it (3-0).

Of the dudes he listed, I would only trust Young because he actually did it (3-0).
Did what 3-0? This is why I’m a little confused. Bottom line, my point was if you gave me Elway/Young/Kelly/Favre/Marino/Fouts/Aikman/Manning/Rodgers in their prime, I’m feeling pretty good about my chances that day.

why? the steelcurtain, swann, harris, blier, stallworth etc etc

bradshaw is good, accomplishments rank in the top tier, no doubt... but how many guys on those teams are in the hof? he was playing with a stacked deck... those guys made him better, he didnt necessarily make them better... least thats why he doesnt make my top tens...
Wait, so guys like Bradshaw and Aikman get discredited because they played on teams who drafted well??

Bradshaw is underrated because it was 50 years ago.

I’m probably one of the only people under 30 years old that could tell you the steelers won there 3rd and 4th SB because of there offense
No question.

Wait, so guys like Bradshaw and Aikman get discredited because they played on teams who drafted well??

Tell me this...

do you discount Manning's SB win because he was literally carried across the line by his epic defense in Denver?

do you discount elis wins because that gints defense won the day (twice)?

do you discount Joe Flacco because he played with one of the best defenses ever?

Did you complain when I discounted the accomplishments of Joe Montana early on in the Brady / Montana wars when the skill levels of players like Jerry Rice were brought up?

so to answer your question, **** yeah they get dinged because of the talent surrounding them.

Tell me this...

do you discount Manning's SB win because he was literally carried across the line by his epic defense in Denver?

do you discount elis wins because that gints defense won the day (twice)?

do you discount Joe Flacco because he played with one of the best defenses ever?

Did you complain when I discounted the accomplishments of Joe Montana early on in the Brady / Montana wars when the skill levels of players like Jerry Rice were brought up?

so to answer your question, **** yeah they get dinged because of the talent surrounding them.
I would answer “no” to every one of your questions and couldn’t disagree more. I love your logic though. Teams should be looking to get rid of talent instead of acquiring it, so that it enhances their QB’s legacy down the road! Why wasn’t Montana repeatedly pounding on the table to get the 49ers to cut Jerry Rice?! Brady’s first three Super Bowls shouldn’t count either! His defenses were too good with too much veteran leadership, his coaching staff was too good, his kicker was too clutch.

I would answer “no” to every one of your questions and couldn’t disagree more. I love your logic though. Teams should be looking to get rid of talent instead of acquiring it, so that it enhances their QB’s legacy down the road! Why wasn’t Montana repeatedly pounding on the table to get the 49ers to cut Jerry Rice?! Brady’s first three Super Bowls shouldn’t count either! His defenses were too good with too much veteran leadership, his coaching staff was too good, his kicker was too clutch.
Really? You should discount the Denver SB in Mannings legacy... etc etc...

and why would teams want to divest talent? we are talking about how I rank players in a 1-10 perspective...

If two players are tied, like Montana and Brady were with 4 SB's, you dont think it's a fair question to ask "who had more to work with?" or "who did more with less?"

I think you are 1000% incorrect, and i fundamentally disagree with what you are saying.

in the end its a team game. these arent personal accomplishments that can be looked at in a vacuum.

Last edited:
Mahomes may be the most talented QB of all time. I am not exaggerating there. But being the most talented may not translate to being the best.

Brady isn't the most talented QB. Not even close. But he is the best QB of all time hands down.
Clarify what you mean by talent. If you're talking just physical skills then maybe you have an argument. Yeah, Brady sucked at the NFL scouting combine. But if you're including cerebral skills in your overall meaning of talent then Brady absolutely is at the top of that list.

Also, when talking about talent, you should include the capacity to rise to the occasion in the biggest moments, which is a very rare quality and Brady has it in spades.

So although I think it is premature to put Mahomes at #2 or even in the top 5 at this point, I can see how someone might have an argument to put him there. I just don't agree with it - yet.
Putting Mahomes at #2 all-time right now is comically ignorant. But what's worse is leaving Montana out of the top 5. There's one conclusion here, Orlovsky is a moron with no credibility.

Are you sure?

OK, glad you made that clear. Lol
I will say I am appreciative of the fact that he thinks my opinion has influenced the legacies of the likes of Bradshaw, Aikman etc... I am forever humbled....lol

Really? You should discount the Denver SB in Mannings legacy... etc etc...

and why would teams want to divest talent? we are talking about how I rank players in a 1-10 perspective...

If two players are tied, like Montana and Brady were with 4 SB's, you dont think it's a fair question to ask "who had more to work with?" or "who did more with less?"

I think you are 1000% incorrect, and i fundamentally disagree with what you are saying.

in the end its a team game. these arent personal accomplishments that can be looked at in a vacuum.
You’re entitled to your opinion. But you contradict yourself when you say it’s a team game and then discredit a quarterback for playing with and alongside talented players, as if that diminishes what they accomplished. We should look at Aikman’s career differently because Dallas happened to hit on several draft picks from 90-93? How is that Aikman’s fault? To use your own argument against you, I think Brady’s career should then be diminished to a degree for having been able to throw to the greatest tight end ever, with arguably the greatest coach ever also in his corner.

You’re entitled to your opinion. But you contradict yourself when you say it’s a team game and then discredit a quarterback for playing with and alongside talented players, as if that diminishes what they accomplished. We should look at Aikman’s career differently because Dallas happened to hit on several draft picks from 90-93? How is that Aikman’s fault? To use your own argument against you, I think Brady’s career should then be diminished to a degree for having been able to throw to the greatest tight end ever, with arguably the greatest coach ever also in his corner.
Dude, take a step back and read what you have said.

it makes no sense.

as for someone like Aikman, why wouldn't you look at his teams? You seem to think I am blaming him for having quality depth. I'm not. But I am aware of it. Context always matters. When they played. Who they played with. Where they played. How well they did. How long they played. etc

im sorry, but there is a difference in the NFL in the 1970's and the 1980's - for example when bradshaw played vs montana in the 80s / 90's ... between the 1990's and the 2000's. Games change. Rules change. One year option to the Rozelle rule. to right of first refusal. to Plan B morphing into real Free Agency. Salary caps etc.

so thats how I look at it... How I think when I rank players...

You say im wrong... ok then ... so you tell me your top 10 qbs ... and the how and why of your rankings... And be specific

Last edited:
Clarify what you mean by talent. If you're talking just physical skills then maybe you have an argument. Yeah, Brady sucked at the NFL scouting combine. But if you're including cerebral skills in your overall meaning of talent then Brady absolutely is at the top of that list.

Also, when talking about talent, you should include the capacity to rise to the occasion in the biggest moments, which is a very rare quality and Brady has it in spades.

Putting Mahomes at #2 all-time right now is comically ignorant. But what's worse is leaving Montana out of the top 5. There's one conclusion here, Orlovsky is a moron with no credibility.

It’s sort of like the argument Saints fan tried to make. Brady is 6’4” with long arms. Brees is 6’0” (at best) with short arms. Brees moves around to find passing lanes so he’s “a better athlete.” A tall QB has the been the ideal since Sammy Baugh in the 1930s. The problem is usually that height also means a lack of quick footwork, non-ideal pocket presence, and “the statue” label. Brady’s combination of ideal height and pragmatic mobility is what makes him a very unique QB.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back