PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Dan Orlovsky Top 5 QB's Of All Time

MahomestoKelce

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
So bad that one has to wonder if he lost a bet and had to make a fool of himself on national television.

Mahomes at 2 instead of Montana. Speaking of Montana, he was not even in top five.

If Mahomes is top 5, it needs to be 5. Even at this point, it's possibly too early and prisoner of the moment.

Did he pray on air before he announced his top 5? The only explanation for this dumb ass take

My top five:

Brady
Montana
Manning
Elway
Marino

I put Elway above Marino because of the 2/5 SB wins. He dragged some average teams to SB's against loaded NFC teams. Clutch. Marino kind of reinvented the passing game in a way. Never had a great D. If Mahomes were to win this and next year, I would not have an issue putting him in the 4 or 5 spot. But it still would not be a guarantee.

His list is Super Bowl Era only...

So omit any discussion of Otto Graham, Sammy Baugh, Sonny Jurgeson, Bart Starr, Johnny Unitas etc... not sure if Starr & Unitas were truly considered by Orlovsky tbh, as they were early in the SB Era... read an article about his rankings, didn't watch the vid... But if they were, they were given short shrift, as no one before 1980 made the list

Last edited:
To spare others from having to watch the video, his rankings are:

1. Brady
2. Mahomes
3. Elway
4. Manning
5. Marino

It’s too early in his career to put Mahomes so high.
1-Agreed
2-Disagree. Not top five...yet. Montana belongs here.
3-Switch to number four
4. Switch to number three
5. Agree

Thx for putting out his list so people do not have to watch that travesty.

I find it tough to rank guys like Starr, Unitas, Baugh, Luckman etc. I struggle going back that far. Totally different eras.

Recency bias always plays a factor too.

Guardians Of The Galaxy GIF

Any list that doesn't have Montana on it is crazy talk. Mahomes might be an all time great, but I think we should pump the brakes for now.

1-Agreed
3-Switch to number four
5. Agree

I find it tough to rank guys like Starr, Unitas, Baugh, Luckman etc. I struggle going back that far. Totally different eras.

Recency bias always plays a factor too.
Players can only be judged by how they dominated their own time. They can’t help when they were born.

Most people mean greatest quarterbacks of the Super Bowl era when they say all-time.

Guardians Of The Galaxy GIF

Any list that doesn't have Montana on it is crazy talk. Mahomes might be an all time great, but I think we should pump the brakes for now.
I have no doubt Mahomes will surpass guys like Favre, Rodgers, Brees, etc. Pending health of course. Getting to that Montana tier will take alot more. And getting to that Brady tier will take...well....a miracle.

I don't believe Rodgers deserves top five either. His postseason shortcomings offset regular season accolades. Guys who are great in the regular season and postseason deserve top five.

Players can only be judged by how they dominated their own time. They can’t help when they were born.

Most people mean greatest quarterbacks of the Super Bowl era when they say all-time.
I know what you mean.

1-Agreed
3-Switch to number four
5. Agree

Try this thread by @Ice_Ice_Brady on for size, if you want a historical perspective of QB rankings... Been a bit since it was last updated, but I consider it one of the best threads on this site.

His list is Super Bowl Era only...

So omit any discussion of Otto Graham, Sammy Baugh, Sonny Jurgeson, Bart Starr, Johnny Unitas etc... not sure if Starr & Unitas were truely considered tbh, as they were early in the SB Era... read an article about his rankings, didn't watch the vid... But if they were, they were given short shrift, as no one before 1980 made the list
Brady
Montana
Unitas
Graham
Layne

I have no doubt Mahomes will surpass guys like Favre, Rodgers, Brees, etc. Pending health of course. Getting to that Montana tier will take alot more. And getting to that Brady tier will take...well....a miracle.

I don't believe Rodgers deserves top five either. His postseason shortcomings offset regular season accolades. Guys who are great in the regular season and postseason deserve top five.
Mahomes has the football acumen of Fouts, or Marino.

That is, not much.

It's like a guy who scores a lot in basketball. He won't necessarily win the game for you.

Leaving off Montana is rediculous but considering Mahomes is not. He's been that good. If he wins it this year I think he passes Manning. I've been thinking this for awhile.

For now I think this is it:
Brady
Montana
Marino
Elway
Manning

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye