PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: D.Marino's Final Game

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll never forget that game. It was immediately after that game where I said "I predict the Patriots will draft the greatest QB of all time in the 6th round to trigger a 2-decade dynasty, the likes of which the NFL has never seen before."

:D :D :D :D

It's funny but just the other day I was looking at a list of playoff wins by each quarterback. I was surprised to see Bledsoe with only 3 wins, but then I had to remind myself that Brady has spoiled us. Three wins isn't as 'paltry' as it seems. There are only 51 quarterbacks in the history of the NFL with 4 or more wins in the playoffs. Maybe that's a lot but I would have expected more.

I know we're spoiled by Brady, but a stat that came up during the Chargers playoff game really drove it home for me. The stat was that Philip Rivers came into the game tied with Dan Fouts for the franchise record of passing TDs in the playoffs with 12. Rivers threw for 2 TDs in the game, so the new record for the Chargers, that some QB will be chasing in the future, is 14. Fouts is a hall of famer and Rivers has a chance to get in. Even if he doesn't, he's been a highly productive and reliable QB for his entire career, definitely not an opponent to take likely.

Meanwhile, Brady has 73 TD passes in the playoffs. In the 2016 and 2017 playoffs, alone, he threw for 15 TDs. Fouts and Rivers played for 15 years and didn't beat what Brady did in 2 seasons.

That jags team was so good.

Titans were just playing really well at that time.

We sent him home packing. One of the biggest wins in Jags history.

Freddy T’s 90 yard run was a thing of beauty

Miss those days
Is there any sort of rivalry between the three Florida teams?

That wasn't a cliff for Marino. It was a black hole.

All in state teams have some rivalry. If not between teams, then between fans. It’s only natural. Rams and Chiefs used to play for a “Governors Cup.”

Some Jets fans are conflicted when the NYG and Pats meet

All in state teams have some rivalry. If not between teams, then between fans. It’s only natural. Rams and Chiefs used to play for a “Governors Cup.”

Some Jets fans are conflicted when the NYG and Pats meet
Yeah, New Jersey bragging rights are at stake.

Can't tell if you're watching a football game or watching Deliverance.

Miss those days

To go from a high like that to turning the ball over 6xs the next week was like night and day. Thought for sure you guys were going to play the Rams that year.

I'm originally from the Tampa Bay area and I can honestly say that on Tampa Bay's side the Jags and Dolphins never get brought up. They just don't care.

Tbh out of everyone I know out there I am by FAR the biggest Dolphins hater.

That jags team was so good.

Titans were just playing really well at that time.

To go from a high like that to turning the ball over 6xs the next week was like night and day. Thought for sure you guys were going to play the Rams that year.
Yeah the Jags were absolutely the best team in the AFC that season. Was definitely rooting for them vs the Titties.

Miss those days

Gotta have respect for a Jags fan who hangs out on the Patriots message board. Every so often a thread like this comes up and you get your chance to pump up your team! (Or of course when you beat us en route to our sixth title ).

Ouch, passer rating 34.6, 11-25, 95 yds, 1 TD, 2 INTs.

Oddly, it was only the second-worst passer rating in a playoff game for his career.

The worst? 12-28-97 vs. the Patriots! Passer rating 29.3, 17-43, o TDs, 2 INTs, in a 17-3 loss in the wild card game Wild Card - Miami Dolphins at New England Patriots - December 28th, 1997 | Pro-Football-Reference.com

That was the game in which Marino was on the ground with Ted Johnson on top of him, and Marino said, "You guys really love hitting me, don't you?"

Marino's achilles was shot by that Jaguars game. He had no back foot to throw off of.

Ok, now we're coming full circle here.

It's funny but just the other day I was looking at a list of playoff wins by each quarterback. I was surprised to see Bledsoe with only 3 wins, but then I had to remind myself that Brady has spoiled us. Three wins isn't as 'paltry' as it seems. There are only 51 quarterbacks in the history of the NFL with 4 or more wins in the playoffs. Maybe that's a lot but I would have expected more.

Anyway, yes, this was one of Bledsoe's three wins.

Two more tidbits....

1.) You point out Marino's stats of 17-43, that in itself shows how the game is changed. With all the short passing routes thrown these days, it's rare for any QB to be under 50%.

2.) Troy Brown's TD in this game may not have stood during the time of instant replay. It was one of those bang-bang plays that gets called incomplete these days (think of odell's NON-TD in our game against the Giants in 2015, Butler swatting it away). Let me see if Ican find a highlight.

here it is: go to the 38:46 mark of this video

Listening to Paul Maguire is almost as bad as listening to Dan Fouts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back