OT: D.Marino's Final Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

brdmaverick

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, I know, why Dan Marino?

Well, he's somewhat relevant as a hall of famer of a division rival, but it also comes into play as some indicated (before the Super Bowl) that Brady should retire if he wins. There is a special beauty of being able to walk away on top.....but ok, let's save THAT discussion for another time and instead laugh at the disaster that was Dan Marino's last game.

Never in my wildest imagination would I ever envision a team IN THE PLAYOFFS pulling their starting QB with 10+ minutes to go in the second quarter to REST their starter.....but that's what we have here.

I found this video that sums it up quite well......

I remember that game.

I used to frequent a Dolphins messageboard.....that game killed that board....seriously....

Lol still watching but that fumble TD! guys need to pay attention! o_O

Marino at one point: 0-6 with 1 int and losing 38-0 in the second quarter.

That’s good rite???

Marino at one point: 0-6 with 1 int and losing 38-0 in the second quarter.

That’s good rite???

Some mind-blowing numbers for sure.

I was 14 at the time but I remember that game. Re-watching it now, he looked especially pathetic trying to get around on that gimpy Achilles. His PA "fakes" were some of the worst I've ever seen.

I was 14 at the time but I remember that game. Re-watching it now, he looked especially pathetic trying to get around on that gimpy Achilles. His PA "fakes" were some of the worst I've ever seen.

The Dolphins are the NFL team I dislike most. Marino was always a QB that I hated, as his attitude really rubbed me the wrong way. And, still, watching that game, a part of me felt bad for the guy.*

*I grant you that it was a small part, well hidden beneath my peals of laughter.

The Dolphins are the NFL team I dislike most. Marino was always a QB that I hated, as his attitude really rubbed me the wrong way. And, still, watching that game, a part of me felt bad for the guy.*

*I grant you that it was a small part, well hidden beneath my peals of laughter.
He was not very pliable. At 38, he was done. Toast. And I agree with your assessment of the guy. Screaming at receivers, showing them up with his Manningface-like reactions.

I remember that game.

I used to frequent a Dolphins messageboard.....that game killed that board....seriously....
Are you talking about the Dolphins board on KFFL? That was an active board at the time with a lot of give and take between Phins and Pats fans

Ouch, passer rating 34.6, 11-25, 95 yds, 1 TD, 2 INTs.

Oddly, it was only the second-worst passer rating in a playoff game for his career.

The worst? 12-28-97 vs. the Patriots! Passer rating 29.3, 17-43, o TDs, 2 INTs, in a 17-3 loss in the wild card game Wild Card - Miami Dolphins at New England Patriots - December 28th, 1997 | Pro-Football-Reference.com

Ok, now we're coming full circle here.

It's funny but just the other day I was looking at a list of playoff wins by each quarterback. I was surprised to see Bledsoe with only 3 wins, but then I had to remind myself that Brady has spoiled us. Three wins isn't as 'paltry' as it seems. There are only 51 quarterbacks in the history of the NFL with 4 or more wins in the playoffs. Maybe that's a lot but I would have expected more.

Anyway, yes, this was one of Bledsoe's three wins.

Two more tidbits....

1.) You point out Marino's stats of 17-43, that in itself shows how the game is changed. With all the short passing routes thrown these days, it's rare for any QB to be under 50%.

2.) Troy Brown's TD in this game may not have stood during the time of instant replay. It was one of those bang-bang plays that gets called incomplete these days (think of odell's NON-TD in our game against the Giants in 2015, Butler swatting it away). Let me see if Ican find a highlight.

here it is: go to the 38:46 mark of this video

Are you talking about the Dolphins board on KFFL? That was an active board at the time with a lot of give and take between Phins and Pats fans

The TSN boards.....following that game a squabble blew up between a Dolphin (DF316) and a Jets (Jet girl I think) fan....that put the whole place into the crapper....then TSN shut us all down.

At least, that is what I remember....

2.) Troy Brown's TD in this game may not have stood during the time of instant replay. It was one of those bang-bang plays that gets called incomplete these days (think of odell's NON-TD in our game against the Giants in 2015, Butler swatting it away). Let me see if Ican find a highlight.

Damn, Bledsoe really did throw a pretty ball.....

There was a time when I believed he would be the greatest QB in Patriots history.....crazy!!!

Ok, now we're coming full circle here.

It's funny but just the other day I was looking at a list of playoff wins by each quarterback. I was surprised to see Bledsoe with only 3 wins, but then I had to remind myself that Brady has spoiled us. Three wins isn't as 'paltry' as it seems. There are only 51 quarterbacks in the history of the NFL with 4 or more wins in the playoffs. Maybe that's a lot but I would have expected more.

Anyway, yes, this was one of Bledsoe's three wins.

Two more tidbits....

1.) You point out Marino's stats of 17-43, that in itself shows how the game is changed. With all the short passing routes thrown these days, it's rare for any QB to be under 50%.

Pete loved chomping on that gum back then as much as he does today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft