PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: D.Marino's Final Game

Status
Not open for further replies.
OH MY GOD JR THEY KILLED HIM

STOP THE FIGHT THAT MAN HAS A FAMILY

"brrnnnggg....brnnnnng...hello, NFL headquarters...Julie speaking....who? Where's My Ringo?...huh? Don E. Noringo?...sorry sir, the connection is poor...Dumb Morono?....oh, Dan! Dan Marino...yes Dan how are you?...what can I do for you?...a ring?...uh...um....sorry dan...no ring for you!....*click*"

Marino had an incredible start to his career. Had what was then the greatest QB season of all time at age 23 and was putting up numbers never seen before. 5 time Pro Bowler and 3 time 1st team All Pro through first 5 seasons. Problem was he had peaked and was never able to repeat his early success. Was still a good player but his play no longer matched his reputation. Finished career with an 8-10 playoff record. Those that claim he would put up 6,000 yards in today's NFL are basing it off early Marino only.

Marino had an incredible start to his career. Had what was then the greatest QB season of all time at age 23 and was putting up numbers never seen before. 5 time Pro Bowler and 3 time 1st team All Pro through first 5 seasons. Problem was he had peaked and was never able to repeat his early success. Was still a good player but his play no longer matched his reputation. Finished career with an 8-10 playoff record. Those that claim he would put up 6,000 yards in today's NFL are basing it off early Marino only.

I agree. In the beginning, he was unstoppable. But his last few years were terrible. But he was still good in the early 90's. The dolphins were not.

"brnnnng...brnnnng....hello? oh not you again, Dan ...look, I've told you for decades...NO RING FOR YOU!...now stop calling the commissioner's office or I'll have you scheduled to face Joe Namath in the NFL officially sanctioned Mud Pit Brawl For It All--- and Whine Party"

Ok, I know, why Dan Marino?

Well, he's somewhat relevant as a hall of famer of a division rival, but it also comes into play as some indicated (before the Super Bowl) that Brady should retire if he wins. There is a special beauty of being able to walk away on top.....but ok, let's save THAT discussion for another time and instead laugh at the disaster that was Dan Marino's last game.

Never in my wildest imagination would I ever envision a team IN THE PLAYOFFS pulling their starting QB with 10+ minutes to go in the second quarter to REST their starter.....but that's what we have here.

I found this video that sums it up quite well......

I remember it like it was yesterday. I was living in SFL at the time. My all time favorite non-patriot game.

I remember it like it was yesterday. I was living in SFL at the time. My all time favorite non-patriot game.
I remember watching it and not believing what I was seeing. Of course, for old time Patriot fans, the coda on this story is that the Pats could have chosen Marino in the first round at 15 of the famous 1983 draft, but passed on him to pick Tony Eason. Marino went to the Dolphins at 27. Elway (1st), Jim Kelly (14th) and Marino all had Hall of Fame careers and all made the Super Bowl, though only Elway had any success in it and even there it took four tries. Eason, Todd Blackledge (7th), and Ken O'Brien (24th) ended up in the dumpster.

Last edited:
I remember watching it and not believing what I was seeing. Of course, for old time Patriot fans, the coda on this story is that the Pats could have chosen Marino in the first round at 15 of the famous 1983 draft, but passed on him to pick Tony Eason. Marino went to the Dolphins at 27. Elway (1st), Jim Kelly (14th) and Marino all had Hall of Fame careers and all made the Super Bowl, though only Elway had any success in it and even there it took four tries. Eason, Todd Blackledge (7th), and Ken O'Brien (24th) ended up in the dumpster.
Love the "Elway to Marino" 30-for-30 episode on that draft.

Regards,
Chris

My memory was that Ken O'brien was a decent, if not good QB. Certainly not Kelly, Elway, or Marino, but serviceable to the point of a couple pro bowls.

My memory was that Ken O'brien was a decent, if not good QB. Certainly not Kelly, Elway, or Marino, but serviceable to the point of a couple pro bowls.
O'Brien was the best of three non-Hall of Famers, and he did make the Pro Bowl twice, but his overall stats were quite similar to Eason's regarding won-loss record, TD to interception ratio, and career rating (79.7 for Eason, 80.4 for O'Brien). He played twice as long, so his aggregate numbers are higher. Blackledge was the big bust.

O'Brien was the best of three non-Hall of Famers, and he did make the Pro Bowl twice, but his overall stats were quite similar to Eason's regarding won-loss record, TD to interception ratio, and career rating (79.7 for Eason, 80.4 for O'Brien). He played twice as long, so his aggregate numbers are higher. Blackledge was the big bust.

If only Eason had possessed a set of balls to match his talent...

If only Eason had possessed a set of balls to match his talent...

I have my share of contempt for Champagne Tony but it has more to do with his 50¢ head. I can't help but believe the balls he lacked might have had something to do with them getting torn off during the absolute beating he took in his first few years as a starter. That kind of thrashing would make most anyone gun shy but the irony is it was largely self inflicted. Eason took a Plunkettesque pounding because he was too friggin dumb to understand what he was looking at and just get rid of the damn ball. Tony was like a deer in the headlights and come to think of it the results were similar too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back