PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Colts and Titans Had "Agreement"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caspir

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Kerry Collins, speaking on WFAN, said that the Titans kneeled down at the end of the Colts-Titans game because they knew the Colts wouldn't call a timeout.

Collins said that the Titans originally called a running play, but he was told over his headset that the Colts wouldn't call a timeout to potentially force Tennessee to punt with less than 20 seconds left. Pressed further, Collins said the Colts and Titans coaches had "an agreement," which is sure to raise collusion questions. Clearly it would have been a long shot for the Colts to win, but Browns fans won't enjoy hearing this one. Jan. 3 - 8:42 am et

Link

Uhh, yea. That's the definition of collusion, and it involves a team that was playing for a playoff spot. I wonder what the NFL will do about this blatant rules violation?

I'm with the Colts on this one. Who cares, really? The Colts are under no obligation to try to win the game.

They will do NOTHING. This is Polian we are talking about. St. Dungy would never agree to such a thing. :rolleyes:

In the immortal words of Martin Luther Dungy: "It was a dark day for the NFL."

I'm with the Colts on this one. Who cares, really? The Colts are under no obligation to try to win the game.

Actually, according to Leasterbrook**:
The NFL has a rule saying teams must make a "bona-fide effort" to win, even if the game has no impact on the standings.

**Yes, I feel dirty. :bricks:

Last edited:
How is that not a huge deal? It's basically admitting Dungy helped rig a game that decided the playoff spots. It is collusion, and it's pretty pathetic.

The Colts can try and lose the game if they want, that's fine, but any discussion between the two teams conspiring to create a desired outcome - that's pretty much the worst thing that can happen in sports. It's definitely something that can tarnish reputations.

Last edited:
No, but that isn't the question, now, is it?

It is telling the other team that you will not try to win the game so they will not run a play.

Actually, according to Leasterbrook**:

**Yes, I feel dirty. :bricks:

I guess playing a touch game for 59 minutes doesn't equal a bona fide effort?

By any legal interpretation, it does.

I don't think they're under any obligation to throw Hail Mary passes to Reggie Wayne, or bring Manning back in to go for the win either. However, they are under an obligation not to collude with another organization to affect the outcome of a game in progress, which is exactly what they did. It's sort of like, I don't know, having a camera positioned in the wrong area of the field. Choosing not to throw bombs for the win is not against the rules. Informing the other team that you will let them win is against the rules.

But if the two teams actually had an agreement or any discussion whatsoever - how is that not illegal? I agree, the Colts can lose the game if they damn well please, they just can't tell the Titans in advance.

Last edited:
How is that not a huge deal? It's basically admitting Dungy helped rig a game that decided the playoff spots. It is collusion, and it's pretty pathetic.
At it's best this is totally unseemly. Regardless of which team was better between Tennessee and Cleveland, the Colts literally decided who would make the playoffs. People can explain it away however they want but it's not a good face to put on the NFL - especially with the whole facade being moved to prime time.

Manning was calling the plays (not that he doesn't always...) with the sheet and the headset. Of course extending Sorgi was pretty much a red flag that if they pull the QB they quit.

I don't have a problem with a team taking any strategic tack they choose. I firmly believe Bill told Cassel to sail the 2 point throw against Miami. But nothing was at stake for Miami or any other team. A win might have moved us up a seed, but only if another team later lost, which they didn't.

This was a little different since it dramatically effected the 6th seed in this years playoffs. And with a bye coming playing even a half with the starters or calling that TO to run another play or two would not have adversely impacted a team that is supposed to play football. And the relationship between Polian and Fisher via the vaunted Competition Committee certainly feeds the perception of impropriety. What will we tell the children..........:eek:

Last edited:
This was a little different since it dramatically effected the 6th seed in this years playoffs. And with a bye coming playing even a half with the starters or calling that TO to run another play or two would not have adversely impacted a team that is supposed to play football. And the relationship between Polian and Fisher via the vaunted Competition Committee certainly feeds the perception of impropriety. What will we tell the children..........:eek:

Because it involves Dungy, the media won't make a big deal out of this.

But again, the Colts can not call a timeout, they can make no effort to win that game at the end. That's all fine, in terms of the rules, ethics/integrity of the game, whatever. That's all just fine and practical. But to tell another team that's what you're going to do - that isn't right in any of the aforementioned ways, rules, integrity, etc.

But again, b/c St. Dungy is involved, we won't hear word one about this from any [perceived] reputable source.

Oh my God, if they had an "agreement" about this, what else did the teams have an "agreement" on? This calls into question all of the Colts SB victories!

Last edited:
It's only wrong if the Colts got paid for it, otherwise it's just a team saying, hey we're resting starters, we're down, we'll just let the clock run out... nothing wrong with that.

And the relationship between Polian and Fisher via the vaunted Competition Committee certainly feeds the perception of impropriety.
Anyone who doesn't see a littke quid pro quo between the Colts putting the Titans in the playoffs and Polian getting Fisher's vote in the committee is blind. We all know that if the Colts had tried, the Titans would be home today - what's that worth in the offseason ?

well isnt jeff fisher and bill polian both high ranking members on the competition committee ? I wouldnt be surprised if they made personal favors for each other and this time the colts owed the titans a favor. I feel sorry for the cleveland browns and their fans in all of this. they must feel pretty screwed over knowing this now

It's only wrong if the Colts got paid for it, otherwise it's just a team saying, hey we're resting starters, we're down, we'll just let the clock run out... nothing wrong with that.

Tell that to Romeo.

I honestly don't see the big deal, if the Pats were in that position we'd all be saying that it was a meaningless game (for the Pats) and that we were resting starters...let's not forget, unlike us, the Colts have no emotional attachment to Romeo.

Last edited:

The Darryl Reid hit on Chris Henry wasn't touch, for sure.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots