PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Coaching firings around the league

Slow Black Monday - I guess we may only have 5 vacancies. Don't understand why the Bears would keep their coach. Being the HC of the worst team in the league should get you canned.

I am reticent to open this door, because I think there's far too many anti-Bill people, but I am willing to give it go. Every GOAT coach has had their guy. Knoll had Bradshaw. Landry had Staubach. Walsh had Montana. Lombardi had Starr. Jimmy Johnson had Aikman. Don Coryell, not generally considered a GOAT, but certainly an innovator, had Fouts. Dungy had Manning. Shanahan had Elway. Further down the list, Marv Levy had Jim Kelly. The flavor du jour around these parts, Sean Payton, had Drew Brees, and he did not consistently win with Brees, who's going to be a first ballot HoFer. The only ones off the top of my head that didn't have "their" guy are Joe Gibbs, and Shula. Shula had a career long enough that he had Unitas, Griese and Marino, the latter has been documented here ad nauseum that he didn't win with. So, the fact that Bill is less than excellent without Brady is not uncommon. Bill did take Parcells leftovers after Pete Carroll and build a winner. He re-built after 2009, which is something that none of the guys I listed were able to do, save for Gibbs. Yes, Brady was still here. No one else was. We've become so accustomed to winning here that it's expected that Bill's just going to reload again for a third time, and the anti-Bill people want to throw shade that he hasn't been able to do it. He's already done something that no one else has done. Let's not get into the who's greater, Brady or Belichick, because, to quote Bill, it's a player's game. That doesn't take away from what the man has done. I think the odds of him doing it a third time are astronomically low.

More importantly, in my opinion anyway, is the second point you make, which mirrors off the first: needing an elite QB. I am not willing to say Tua is that, after one successful year, same with Herbert, who looks the part. But Mahomes has the pedigree and the pelts (to quote Parcells), Burrow's done it at a high level, Josh Allen is a dude, Trevor Lawrence looks like he might be. There's some talented QBs in the league, and, like you, I am not willing to say Mac is the guy. He might be, and might not be. This year's coaching staff left a lot to be desired, and a big part of that is on Bill. I'll put some of it on Kraft as well, because I think the decision to hire Judge and Patricia and let them still draw checks from their previous jobs comes from RKKs office. That's just smart business, getting the services a guy who they think is an asset while someone else pays them off their previous contract, as long as it works. I don't think it worked this time. I'd like to see what Mac can do with a proper staff.

So, the day after the season ended, I'm not waving the team flags saying how bright the future is, but the people in charge, Belichick and the Krafts, know more about winning in the NFL than anyone else. No other owner/coach combo has 6 rings. They just need the personnel to get them back. I'm not sure Bill is going to, but I am confident in the Krafts to get it done, much like some of the other organizations we see that are always successful. I am sure that there's no young guy out there I would rather have than Bill coaching this team. GM, well, that's another discussion all together.
Post flagged for excessive negativity.

Cardinals looking to fill the GM/HC positions. Hmmm, sounds like a perfect spot for Bill.

This is called satire peoples.

Post flagged for excessive negativity.
Wink Reaction GIF

The freaking punter is suing the team but everything is fine don't worry.
It's the freaking punter who has sucked for the last 2 years. He has a negligible impact on the cap. The team will not go into bankruptcy if they lose the hearing.

Even if they are found at fault they'll pay him off and he'll go away.

This is 1000th on their list of 999 problems this offseason.

How is it garbage time when he started and played plenty early on in those two games? His strip sack against the Bears came in a three point game.
I stand corrected on those points. I'm not tracking his snaps per quarter. Overall Jennings had 25% or less defensive snaps in 8 games. He was 50% or higher once. He had only 2 games this season where he registered more than 2 tackles. He's hardly even worth the debate.

It's the freaking punter who has sucked for the last 2 years. He has a negligible impact on the cap. The team will not go into bankruptcy if they lose the hearing.

Even if they are found at fault they'll pay him off and he'll go away.

This is 1000th on their list of 999 problems this offseason.
Then why suspend him the day before the most important game of the season? And it so happens that during that game, the K-ing unit allowed 2 TDs. It was either poor timing or cosmic karma.

Then why suspend him the day before the most important game of the season?

Who knows. Let me know when you have the reason that has been confirmed by multiple sources.

And it so happens that during that game, the K-ing unit allowed 2 TDs. It was either poor timing or cosmic karma.

...or the either the team thought he wasn't ready to play and he became disruptive to the point of being a locker room problem or he thought he wasn't ready to play and was medically cleared by multiple doctors.

Who knows. Let me know when you have the reason that has been confirmed by multiple sources.

...or the either the team thought he wasn't ready to play and he became disruptive to the point of being a locker room problem or he thought he wasn't ready to play and was medically cleared by multiple doctors.
Something to do with being ready/not ready. My thought was he wasn't doing the prescribed work to get ready. Eff that, I'm not going to be ready to go before you guys are eliminated anyway. Just my hunch.

BB addresses his priority one this offseason: "Tell Robert to fire up the cash machine I'll be fulfilling my 2023 contractual obligations"

And with that declaration, BB departs for Barbados with kids in tow while Patricia and Achord scamper over to Casa Belichick to shovel Nike's poop off the back deck

Then why suspend him the day before the most important game of the season? And it so happens that during that game, the K-ing unit allowed 2 TDs. It was either poor timing or cosmic karma.
From what I have pieced together it sounds like he was complaining about an injury and the medical staff wasn't finding anything that would cause it. I think the team wanted him back for weeks. What I find weird is that they seemingly finally gave up on getting him back and suspended him. Then the following week he says he was ready to play.

This one is definitely trickier than the Jack Jones one as how do you blame someone who is hurting just because you can't find the cause. But how do you let someone sit on IR if you can't find anything wrong with him.

If you accept that this team is rebuilding (as, unless you are overfond of delusions, you must) the question becomes less "How good are they?" and more "Are they improving?" This can only be evaluated if we first acknowledge that the offense was profoundly ill-served by a pyrotechnically awful coaching staff this year, a staff so crippling that it is difficult to assess anybody on that side of the ball and, it seems to me, impossible at all to evaluate Mac, who in his second year in a very demanding position really needed the help of good coaching. If you account for that, I would say that they ARE improving, and that though the improvement is not what it would have been with adequate coaching, it was still genuine progress. Players, including Mac, who played better last year than this are still the people they were then, undiminished, I think, by injury or age. I don't think, for example, that Hunter Henry is actually a worse player now than he was year before last. Last year's draft class collectively looked pretty good, pretty promising. The practice squad and players injured look like a decent bunch. And so forth. In retrospect, all those free agents from year before aren't much to brag about, but we got something in those deals, and the disappointments here don't really pertain to this year's team.

I also think it's important that this seems like a "high character" group. With a couple of baffling exceptions, they hung in there through a difficult year. They didn't give up or squabble or whine (well, much, lol: they swore and pointed their fingers and tripped people) and even to the end, against Buffalo, they put forth creditable efforts nearly al the time, nearly every week.

The defense is good enough that it isn't a problem, though their record against better qb's/team is reason for some concern. That said, I don't see any crying needs there. Just develop what you've got and a keep an eye out for whatever unexpected plums the draft or waiver wire might offer.

The ST, needs a coach, obviously. It needed one last year, obviously. Bill didn't get one.

We have some obvious needs, but virtually all teams do. For my money, we should get an experienced corner via. trade/free agent, spend our highest draft picks on a couple of big fat guys who can play o-line, have a whack at some speedy WR later in the draft, fish around late in the draft for another speedy LB, find yet another punter, and that's about it. All doable, methinks.

As I have said, I think Bill's mishandling of the coaching staff this year (including the ST fiasco) was lousy, irresponsible work that would and should get him fired if he were not blessed with his gaudy record of accomplishment. I think it wouldn't hurt either to shove him a little further out of the driver's seat when it comes to the draft. I don't at all think it's time for BILL to go, but he d----d well better get his ducks in a row when it come to a coaching staff, or firing him becomes a possibility worth revisiting. As for Mac, we don't know any more about him now than we did a year ago. That too is Bill's fault.

Last edited:
He had a good season. I just don't think he's consistent enough yet and can get exposed in coverage.
I still think he would be best at free safety with the game in front of him. He has good instincts.

Slow Black Monday - I guess we may only have 5 vacancies. Don't understand why the Bears would keep their coach. Being the HC of the worst team in the league should get you canned.

Nothing will ever beat Hue Jackson keeping his job after going 0-16

And that was the season AFTER going 1-15.

Dugger no question is a difference maker.
He's stellar in every way except as a pure cover guy. He's good enough there but not elite. I look forward to the team using him in creative ways, as some sort of game plan-specific linebacker or spy or Lord knows what. Take advantage of his aggression in unexpected ways.

He's stellar in every way except as a pure cover guy. He's good enough there but not elite. I look forward to the team using him in creative ways, as some sort of game plan-specific linebacker or spy or Lord knows what. Take advantage of his aggression in unexpected ways.
Agree. I think people need to reset their expectations of Duggar in coverage as he is not and most likely never will be a pure cover SS/FS. He is not DMC.

He'll improve as he get older. Might get to Chung's level which from 0-15yds was excellent but beyond 15yds was not good.

If you accept that this team is rebuilding (as, unless you are overfond of delusions, you must) the question becomes less "How good are they?" and more "Are they improving?"
I do not accept the premise.
The rebuild occurred last year ($170 mill in FA spending)
Drafting your allotted draft picks (plus a couple extra 4th's) in 2022 is not a continuation of a rebuild, it's simply NFL business as usual

Note: The rebuild failed

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back