PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Coaching firings around the league

I love the potential of some of our 1st year players, Jack, Marcus Jones, Tyquan and Strange who really played well toward the end of the season. I guess we'll have wait a few years if they pan out, but I'm feeling pretty, pretty good about our young talent.
Jack Jones is a bit of question mark at this point with the "miscommunication", no? I like him as a player though. Marcus Jones looks great, they need to find a way to balance his playing time to maximize his strengths, as he looks to be a contributor in all three phases. Strange I though was fairly inconsistent this season. I'd like him better if he wasn't a 1st round pick. Tyquan had a really underwhelming rookie season.

I'd go with C for Strange since he was a first round pick. If he was a day 2 pick then B. We have a sample size now and we can say the Patriots probably reached for him. Barmore is an A if he could stay healthy. Dugger and Uche are trending upward I'd go with B+ if I had to grade them.

I'd grade most of your F grade players a D-. Rohrwasser needs a grade of his own he was absolutely an F. That was just throwing a draft pick in the trash can.
Peer pressure forced me to put Strange in the B range.

Never mind trash can pick, I can do better than that. The trash can round (3rd round of the 2020 draft): Jennings, Asiasi & Keene.

Kliff or Reich are the two most ideal OC candidates.

5 openings now:

Cardinals
Texans
Panthers
Colts
Broncos

And Kingsbury just signed that extension, so he'll be getting paid until 2027.
That’s good. The mortgage payments for the house he was in during the 2020 draft look expensive. He’ll need a steady income if he wants to keep it.

Kliff or Reich are the two most ideal OC candidates.
If they want to run the new offense, agree.

If they want to go back to EP then it's BOB.

BOB ran a hybrid at 'Bama so Mac might be better with that but that does not mean that offense would be successful at the NFL level

Which makes him the perfect candidate to come here as a consultant for 10 cents on the dollar while he draws a check from Arizona.
Sure, in 2025 after spending two years on the beach.

If they want to run the new offense, agree.

If they want to go back to EP then it's BOB.

BOB ran a hybrid at 'Bama so Mac might be better with that but that does not mean that offense would be successful at the NFL level
Give me BOB and a fullback and I'll consider it a good offseason.

Give me BOB and a fullback and I'll consider it a good offseason.
I really want to FB back in the offense. Mondre had a great year but FB just adds another dimension.

It's interesting. When he was here BOB wasn't a FB guy but at HOU he had Jay Prosch.

Last edited:
Jennings doesn’t belong in that last group. He carved out a nice role as an early down run defender to help keep Judon fresher this season. He played 30% of the defensive snaps this season, significantly more than the rest of the F’s combined.
Jennings is a low impact player who highest snap% and production primarily came from garbage time reps against CLE and CHI. He'd be worth it if they selected him out the 5th or 6th round. He's the most valuable F, so there's that.

We took 28 players in those 3 drafts.

A grade (2):

Marcus Jones 3rd
Rhamondre Stevenson 4th

B grade (6):

Cole Strange 1st
Christian Barmore 2nd
Kyle Dugger 2nd
Josh Uche 2nd
Jack Jones 4th
Michael Onwenu 6th

C grade (3):

Mac Jones 1st
Pierre Strong 4th
Bailey Zappe 4th

D grade (3):

Tyquan Thornton 2nd
Kevin Harris 6th
Justin Herron 6th

F grade (14):

Anfernee Jennings 3rd
Devin Asiasi 3rd
Dalton Keene 3rd
Ronnie Perkins 3rd
Justin Rohrwasser 5th
Cameron McGrone 5th
Caash Maluia 6th
Joshuah Bledsoe 6th
William Sherman 6th
Sam Roberts 6th
Chasen Hines 6th
Tre Nixon 7th
Dustin Woodward 7th
Andrew Stueber 7th
I think you have it mostly right here. I think Kevin Harris is at least a C given where they took him and he is still on team, Tyquan Thornton a C. Anfernee Jennings a C, Bledsoe a C, Steuber incomplete.
To say that these drafts were "home runs" is an overstatement. They were good overall and I would give them a B or B+.

Also, I get the idea that positivity will result in "better discussions" on this board....but to say that the "future is bright" is way over the top. Also calling Bill the "GOAT" is not earned. He is an under 500 coach without Brady who has won one playoff game without Brady (when he was with the Browns).
Let's be honest here, there are serious questions about whether Bill can coach and GM this team to contender status before he breaks Shula's record. I am skeptical. Secondly, the future can only be bright if you are sure you have your franchise QB in place. How can anyone be sure about MAC after this past season???? So lets keep it real...We are in a conference with Mahomes, Burrows, Herbert, Lamar Jackson, Tua Tagliavola, Josh Allen,Trevor Lawrence. These guys will be in this conference for many years.Pats do not have a clear franchise QB, they do not have coordinators that you can be confident in, they do not have even competent skill players on offense and their OL is questionable. So let's say that Pats have some work to do...but how is the future bright at THIS moment in time?

Last edited:
I think you have it mostly right here. I think Kevin Harris is at least a C given where they took him and he is still on team, Tyquan Thornton a C. Anfernee Jennings a C, Bledsoe a C, Steuber incomplete.
To say that these drafts were "home runs" is an overstatement. They were good overall and I would give them a B or B+.

Also, I get the idea that positivity will result in "better discussions" on this board....but to say that the "future is bright" is way over the top. Also calling Bill the "GOAT" is not earned. He is an under 500 coach without Brady who has won one playoff game without Brady (when he was with the Browns).
Let's be honest here, there are serious questions about whether Bill can coach and GM this team to contender status before he breaks Shula's record. I am skeptical. Secondly, the future can only be bright if you are sure you have your franchise QB in place. How can anyone be sure about MAC after this past season???? So lets keep it real...We are in a conference with Mahomes, Herbert, Lamar Jackson, Tua Tagliavola, Josh Allen,Trevor Lawrence. These guys will be in this conference for many years.Pats do not have a clear franchise QB, they do not have coordinators that you can be confident in, they do not have even competent skill players on offense and their OL is questionable. So let's say that Pats have some work to do...but how is the future bright at THIS moment in time?
You will see Sammy, the GOAT will bring us to the Promise Land!!!!! Our young talent is undeniable. Our last 3 drafts have produced players and impact players, all coming off that magical 2018 Super Bowl in which BB put on a coaching clinic and even Sean McVay admitted he spent the next week sobbing and crying at how he was outcoached!!!

Let's have faith my new friend and believe in the system!!! Do your job, that is what each player has to do!!!!!

I can't wait for 2023!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think a lot of these are "to be determined"....if we can get two-three very good, pro bowl caliber type players from a draft, I think we doing great.
I think that out of all those names the only possible Pro bowl players are Onwenu and Rham. I know Mac made it last season as an alternate.

Real question is how many are AP1 or even AP2? Maybe Onwenu? Not sure. Certainly not enough though.

Let's be honest here, there are serious questions about whether Bill can coach and GM this team to contender status before he breaks Shula's record. I am skeptical. Secondly, the future can only be bright if you are sure you have your franchise QB in place. How can anyone be sure about MAC after this past season???? So lets keep it real...We are in a conference with Mahomes, Herbert, Lamar Jackson, Tua Tagliavola, Josh Allen,Trevor Lawrence. These guys will be in this conference for many years.Pats do not have a clear franchise QB, they do not have coordinators that you can be confident in, they do not have even competent skill players on offense and their OL is questionable. So let's say that Pats have some work to do...but how is the future bright at THIS moment in time?
This paragraph grades out as an A-. The minus is for omitting Burrow.

I would be okay with Kliff here
I assume as an OC? If so, yes if he can use our existing system or most of it. Forcing Mac to go through a new system is what crappy franchises do to rookie QBs. I also don't want to have to give Mac another year if he gets a new system as unfair to expect him to excel in one year of of said system. He needs to show he can be the QC this coming season or we should move on from him while setting him up for success - i.e. same system and better coaching and weapons.

Jennings is a low impact player who highest snap% and production primarily came from garbage time reps against CLE and CHI. He'd be worth it if they selected him out the 5th or 6th round. He's the most valuable F, so there's that.
How is it garbage time when he started and played plenty early on in those two games? His strip sack against the Bears came in a three point game.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
Back