PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Carr officially released

You really think the Ravens would just let him go to FA without being tagged?
If the ravens can't sign him, then their choices are to pay him $45M or to use the money for another QB and supporting players.

Paying $45M only delays the issue a year, and uses critical cap money.

You really think the Ravens would just let him go to FA without being tagged?

The way their cap is right now, they almost have to let him go because they can't pay his $45 Million salary without some serious player moves.

The way their cap is right now, they almost have to let him go because they can't pay his $45 Million salary without some serious player moves.
No way in hell they just let him walk.

No way in hell they just let him walk.
They can't trade him since he isn't under contract.

Are you suggesting that they
1) franchise him at $45M
2) cut or restructure enough players to make up for having the $45M hit for him.
3) hope to trade him in July (one year contract) when he would likely sign the tag.
4) and THEM hope that you can use the freed up cap money on whatever is left.
===============
I am presuming that he would play be the rules and be FORCED to play a season for ONLY $45M after he signs his tag in July.

McDaniels is a jerk. He is hired with the expectation to fix an already established qb only to give him the boot after the first year. Cutler all over again. Then he followed Cutler up with Tebow. That isn't how you fix an offense. The Rams were also bottom of the league when Josh was calling the shots. He isn't HC material.

I understand you have a hatred for McDaniels, but your facts are off.

Josh never called the shots with the Rams. In fact, the Rams made it a point to say that McDaniels would have NO say in personnel decisions while with the Rams.

It should be noted that the entire staff under Spagnuolo was fired after the 2011 season, not just McDaniels. Blaming McDaniels for that Dumpster fire is ridiculous. McDaniels had to use Sam Bradford, AJ Feely, and Kellen Clemens for QBs. Their starting LT played only 9 games while their starting RT only played 6. They had a plethora of Injuries including losing 2yr WR Danny Amendola. Brandon Lloyd missing 5 games. They had to rely on Patriots re-treat Mark LeVoir on their O-line.

They were a team in transition and injuries sunk them badly. Not very different from the Patriots having to use 5 different RT this past year.

According to NFL Network's Ian Rapoport, the Ravens are likely to use the exclusive tag which would pay Jackson $45 million for next year.
The Raven can easily free up the money to do this with their top 5 cap guys. Including Cutting Calais Campbell and Kevin Zeitler to free up 12.7M by itself.
Ronnie Staley - 7.6M
Mark Andrews - 4M
Marlon Humphrey - 6.75M

12.7+7.6+4+6.75 = $31.05M freed up. Added to the 22.6M in cap space and that gives them 53.65M. Plenty to sign Draft picks and work out a long term deal for Jackson that will be far less than $45M of a cap hit.

Of course, this only matter if they don't get a long term deal done prior to the start of the league season.

Josh is in a tough spot.

He need to move the needle in a seismic -sort of way
I think that Gardner Minshew would be an interesting fit. You give him the talent they have at WR with Renfrow and Adams, at TE with Waller and either re-sign Jacobs or bring in someone Like Harris or Elliot and that offense is scary.

I think that Gardner Minshew would be an interesting fit. You give him the talent they have at WR with Renfrow and Adams, at TE with Waller and either re-sign Jacobs or bring in someone Like Harris or Elliot and that offense is scary.
Not flashy but could be sneaky effective.

Part of me thinks -if healthy, Jimmy would do very well there

I think Gardner is going to be one of the forgotten guys in this offseason, probably ending up with a team that didn't get it's first choice (the Jets? the Titans?) or is drafting a QB and needs insurance if the rookie isn't ready to start.

I think that Gardner Minshew would be an interesting fit.
If this happens then Josh can start preparing for his next career move because it won't be NFL HC.

Part of me thinks -if healthy, Jimmy would do very well there
Here's where I'm at with Garoppolo... he's not durable enough to be an NFL starter. He should follow the career path of Nick Foles... permanent backup and spot starter. It's seemingly the only way he'll sustain an NFL career.

The Raven can easily free up the money to do this with their top 5 cap guys. Including Cutting Calais Campbell and Kevin Zeitler to free up 12.7M by itself.
Ronnie Stanley - 7.6M
Mark Andrews - 4M
Marlon Humphrey - 6.75M

12.7+7.6+4+6.75 = $31.05M freed up. Added to the 22.6M in cap space and that gives them 53.65M. Plenty to sign Draft picks and work out a long term deal for Jackson that will be far less than $45M of a cap hit.

Of course, this only matter if they don't get a long term deal done prior to the start of the league season.

I'm not seeing those numbers for Stanley, Andrews & Humphrey. I'm seeing a lot less actually ($5.75M, $250K & $250K), and all of these numbers are with a Post-June 1 designation, which I am not even sure they can do since they have to tag Jackson by March 7th. On top of that, you're talking about cutting 5 starters, including their starting LT, which is not easy to replace with a low-cost FA these days.

Here's where I'm at with Garoppolo... he's not durable enough to be an NFL starter. He should follow the career path of Nick Foles... permanent backup and spot starter. It's seemingly the only way he'll sustain an NFL career.
There is no doubt he cannot be relied upon as a full-time starter.

I'm not seeing those numbers for Stanley, Andrews & Humphrey. I'm seeing a lot less actually ($5.75M, $250K & $250K), and all of these numbers are with a Post-June 1 designation, which I am not even sure they can do since they have to tag Jackson by March 7th. On top of that, you're talking about cutting 5 starters, including their starting LT, which is not easy to replace with a low-cost FA these days.
Yeah, it really feels like the Ravens and Jackson are playing chicken, to see who blinks first. I have to think that Jackson knows what he can get if he gets released, which means he has less reason to blink than the Ravens.

Lamar has made it perfectly clear, he's not playing in Baltimore for 1 cent less than what he wants in fully guaranteed $. I'm guessing he tired of being his team's entire offense because it's wearing him down too early in his career and he also wants an opportunity to play with a top tier WR or two. Time for the Ravens to move on... tag and trade.

I want the Patriots in on Lamar. Baltimore can take Jones on his rookie deal while they figure out how to rebuild their team (sorry Mac). BB can close out his career with an elite quarterback and chase that one last ring. BB is not making it to a champion podium with Mac... he's not getting through the gauntlet of Mahomes, Allen and Burrow before he retires with a middling quarterback.

This!

Jackson may just wait it out. He may want to move on.

The Ravens can choose to force him to play for $45M if they wish. He'll just sign the tag in July.

This!

Jackson may just wait it out. He may want to move on.

The Ravens can choose to force him to play for $45M if they wish. He'll just sign the tag in July.
I think the Ravens are going to have a hell of a time getting $45 million under the cap. If they're committed to that, though, they should just give him a deal and spread that hit out so it isn't so much this season.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back