PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Carr officially released

IF we'd had Drafted him and he had similar success you wouldn't be saying that Lamar Jackson have had our number.
I sure would.

Your definition of success is different than mine.

They are many overrated QB's is this League ie... D Prescott - J Herbert among others of course we would love to have their problem.
...who are both better than Jackson.

Right, but doesn't that strike you as odd that the Ravens would be moving on? They don't normally make terrible personnel moves.
It may be a case of the player forcing his way out of town. Jackson probably realizes he's got too much on his plate in Baltimore. They just haven't sustained any talent around him on Offense. Andrews is a nice TE but their offense is heavily Lamar centric, to a point where he won't be able to hold up physically. He pretty much did a hold out at the end of this past season because he didn't want to risk (further) injury. And he's not offering Baltimore even a penny's worth of a hometown discount. They're widely apart in contract negotiations so Baltimore's best option (which isn't that good) may be to tag and trade. I like Lamar so it's the outcome I want to see, him with a fresh start in a better spot.

It may be a case of the player forcing his way out of town. Jackson probably realizes he's got too much on his plate in Baltimore. They just haven't sustained any talent around him on Offense. Andrews is a nice TE but their offense is heavily Lamar centric, to a point where he won't be able to hold up physically. He pretty much did a hold out at the end of this past season because he didn't want to risk (further) injury. And he's not offering Baltimore even a penny's worth of a hometown discount. They're widely apart in contract negotiations so Baltimore's best option (which isn't that good) may be to tag and trade. I like Lamar so it's the outcome I want to see, him with a fresh start in a better spot.
Yeah, but I do think it's interesting that the Ravens don't see him (in terms of contract) as a top QB. I wonder what other teams think. I also wonder what the Ravens do next, because their other QBs aren't very good.

So he's had elite WRs elite TEs and still a middling QB..
Since he's been in the league had elite weapons and still a middling QB..
Yep. Carr has had very good weapons. He's a slightly above average QB. Maybe.

...who are both better than Jackson.
Herbert is probably heading toward a HOF career. But I'm definitely taking Lamar over Dak. Let's say they flip teams... Cowboys become the NFC favorite for sure and the Ravens with Dak might be looking at 4th in their division.

Yeah, but I do think it's interesting that the Ravens don't see him (in terms of contract) as a top QB. I wonder what other teams think. I also wonder what the Ravens do next, because their other QBs aren't very good.
Ravens currently have $30 mil in cap space with no quarterback on the books. Not ideal considering Jackson won't budge from top tier $. Raiders have $50 mil in cap space and they can provide Jackson with a much better supporting cast.

Herbert is probably heading toward a HOF career. But I'm definitely taking Lamar over Dak. Let's say they flip teams... Cowboys become the NFC favorite for sure and the Ravens with Dak might be looking at 4th in their division.

Herbert needs to prove he can win in the playoffs and in big situations before he will ever have a chance to be considered for the HOF. Right now he is Philip Rivers 2.0. All the stats without the big time wins especially in the playoffs. It may not be all on him, but until he does win, he will get a good portion of the blame.

Ravens currently have $30 mil in cap space with no quarterback on the books. Not ideal considering Jackson won't budge from top tier $. Raiders have $50 mil in cap space and they can provide Jackson with a much better supporting cast.
Right, but I'm looking at it from the team perspective. If Jackson is your QB and the other QBs on the roster aren't good and you have $30 million in cap, you sign him to a deal and spread out the hit. But that they don't want to suggests that they think he's not their QB of the future. It's that decision I find interesting.

Herbert needs to prove he can win in the playoffs and in big situations before he will ever have a chance to be considered for the HOF. Right now he is Philip Rivers 2.0. All the stats without the big time wins especially in the playoffs. It may not be all on him, but until he does win, he will get a good portion of the blame.
Herbert is 24 years old. He's only been a starter in the NFL for 3 seasons. He's got plenty of time (to continue) to prove himself and he's setting an early pace to contend for several career passing records.

I'm putting the playoff loss on his idiot head coach.

Dak is a better passer. Doubtful Cowboys improve

Herbert is 24 years old. He's only been a starter in the NFL for 3 seasons. He's got plenty of time (to continue) to prove himself and he's setting an early pace to contend for several career passing records.

I'm putting the playoff loss on his idiot head coach.
I put it on the curse of the Chargers

Right, but I'm looking at it from the team perspective. If Jackson is your QB and the other QBs on the roster aren't good and you have $30 million in cap, you sign him to a deal and spread out the hit. But that they don't want to suggests that they think he's not their QB of the future. It's that decision I find interesting.
Baltimore offered Jackson a 5-year extension worth $250m, with $133m guaranteed at signing, that would have run through the 2027 season. He turned it down because he wants a fully guaranteed contract similar to what Watson got from Cleveland. That's where the $100 difference comes in (regarding guaranteed $). If Baltimore decides Jackson isn't worth a fully guaranteed contract then they'll tag and trade at this point. And then look forward to a 5-12 season.

I guess it's standard to lead off with the good bits then switch over to the bad bits.

In the end, he's pretty much the definition of a middle-of-the-pack NFL starter.

Should I remind everyone that during the draft Carr was used as a player comp for Mac Jones?

I have more faith in him in big situations than I do most of the young QBs.

He has guts, he stands in there, does not get rattled. This will translate well for him. He really has the worst coach and worst OL of all the young guys, so it's not happening for him right now. None of these guys can overcome that. Not Burrow, not Mahomes, not even Brady.

Herbert overrated? I think he's underrated. I'm very impressed by the guy. Takes a huge butt-kicking and it doesn't seem to impact him.

Baltimore offered Jackson a 5-year extension worth $250m, with $133m guaranteed at signing, that would have run through the 2027 season. He turned it down because he wants a fully guaranteed contract similar to what Watson got from Cleveland. That's where the $100 difference comes in (regarding guaranteed $). If Baltimore decides Jackson isn't worth a fully guaranteed contract then they'll tag and trade at this point. And then look forward to a 5-12 season.
So you think another team will decide he's worth it? Who do you think makes the trade for him? Las Vegas? Maybe the Jets?

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back