PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Broncos trading Von Miller to the Rams

Risky because the second best team is in their division and they are already down in the head to head tiebreaker. They finish behind them it’s 3 games on the road in the playoffs regardless if they win 15 games which I honestly don’t see them accomplishing.

The Bucs won three games on the road last year.

And Kyler Murray is reportedly out for 1-3 weeks. The Rams have an excellent opportunity to gain an one to three game lead over the Cards during that time.

Von Miller is 32 and coming back from an ankle injury that required surgery which caused him to miss the entire 2020 season. His sack numbers are down. His tackle numbers are down. Plus, he's a free agent at the end of the season. A 2nd & a 3rd seems a bit steep for a 10 game rental.

Truth be told, he reminds me of Dont'a Hightower this year.

Von Miller has been productive this year. Not anywhere near as productive as he was two or three years ago, but he does have 4.5 sacks and something like 25 QB pressures and 8 QB hits this season. Far better than Hightower who looks a shell of himself.

Looks like Stan wants to see his team in the super bowl in his owners suite

It is looking like a steep Price but if they win the SB Fans won‘t care for their Lack of picks. Last year they took atwell with their First pick (which was a Second rd i believe) with no need at WR but some questions in Offense line for the future and secondary After Hill and johnson left to cleveland. This did wonder me a lot

They're trying desperately to win a Superbowl before this core goes into the tank, in order to endear themselves to the fickle LA market.
LA is a win now market or you are irrelevant. My Lakers understand this better than anyone as that’s what fans expect if you want their attention. Out here in Southern CA, we are front running fans. When the Kings went on their Stanley Cup run, everyone suddenly was a Kings fan. It was crazy. When the Rams were Super Bowl bound in 2018, Rams apparel was everywhere. That will ramp up again soon. Chargers need to get on the same page as they are pretty irrelevant out here.

With that being said, I have no problem with a team trying to win now with a core in place before it erodes as nobody can predict what the future holds. Almost every team that hasn’t won a Super Bowl in 20+ years insanely play the “future” game.

Wow, how lucky is Stafford going from the worst team in the league to the best team (or top 3) in just one season.
I see it as he was terribly UNlucky to be stuck in Detroit for so long.

The Broncos still use Miller to rush the QB. The Patriots don't use Hightower as much like that this year. While the sack & QB hits numbers are impressive, tackles are important too. No matter, I don't think I'd trade a 2nd & a 3rd for Hightower either.

Hightower
YearAgeTmPosNo.GGSIntYdsTDLngPDFFFmbFRYdsTDSkCombSoloAstTFLQBHitsSftyAV
202131NWElb54770.02617902
Miller
YearAgeTmPosNo.GGSIntYdsTDLngPDFFFmbFRYdsTDSkCombSoloAstTFLQBHitsSftyAV
202132DENolb58774.51910979

Why would Broncos pay all his salary too? is he that bad now?

You might think of it like Von Miller is traded for a 2nd, and the the Broncos pay Miller's salary in exchange for a 3rd.

Do the Rams even have any draft picks next year at this point?

Rams have a fairly tough schedule remaining - Packers, Cardinals, 49ers x 2, Seahawks, and Ravens. I can see maybe 1-2 losses in there, but that Packers game is going to be for the NFC 1 seed I think.

They're trying desperately to win a Superbowl before this core goes into the tank, in order to endear themselves to the fickle LA market.
It’s been the way for some time.

It's basically the same thing the Bucs did last year, except the Rams are trading assets to add to a talented group of core players. Last year the Bucs signed everyone to put them over the top.

Do the Rams even have any draft picks next year at this point?

As far as I can tell the only picks of their own they still have is a 3rd round comp pick.

they also traded two of their 2023 picks including their #1

Yeah, I heard the exact same thing in 2018. They went 13-3, 9-7, 10-6, and now are 7-1. The three last years, that 32-16 record was with Jared Goff, who is roughly an average quarterback, maybe a bit worse.

1. Success is built through the draft;
2. Teams overvalue draft picks when it comes to trading for established, valuable players. The Rams identified this and capitalized on it.

Both of these things can be true.

They'll eventually stop being one of the league's better teams, though looking at their roster, it isn't crazy to think they still have a few more years left, or in other words, a window of opportunity that lasts over 5 years. At the end of it, people will say "told ya so!" about not having first round picks or young guys to build around, but the fact is many teams in the NFL won't be much better off, though they won't be coming off of a long-term championship window.

It's basically the same thing the Bucs did last year, except the Rams are trading assets to add to a talented group of core players. Last year the Bucs signed everyone to put them over the top.
Yeah, but I don't think Tampa pillaged their draft capital at the same time, whereas the Rams clearly did.

1. Success is built through the draft;
2. Teams overvalue draft picks when it comes to trading for established, valuable players. The Rams identified this and capitalized on it.

Both of these things can be true.
Yes, I think both are true, yet (2) can be problematic going forward.

As Andrew says:

Not sure how many draft picks the Rams have going forward but their definitely going for it this year:

Not sure how many draft picks the Rams have going forward but their definitely going for it this year:
The cupboard isn't entirely bare, maybe they will hit on some "infrastructure" pieces, or maybe get really lucky:

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Back